Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon Nikkor 105/2.5 AIS lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Nikon Nikkor 105/2.5 AIS lens Reply with quote

Recently received this off ebay, both body and lens:

as I want to get into this kind of portraiture:

Picture taken with above camera/lens plus this flash setup:

Love what this lens can do, a flickr fave with it mounted on the Nikon D90:

Last edited by Katastrofo on Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:29 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the best around 100mm lens what I did ever try, top lens for sure , congrats!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila, thanks, the lens has quite a reputation, from the 5 elements 3 groups Sonnar from 1959, to the later version like this Xenotar
copy (5 elements 4 groups).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did try AIS version black like this and oldest NON AI, oldest non AI is average.Is this AIS lens ?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this is the AIS model, more sought after than the older version.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is cool, look forward your pics!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, that will surely be a like you'll like Bill!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a superb lens. Small, good ergonomics, superbly built, excellent allround lens which shines at portraits AND landscape. It's one of the sharpest at infinity. And I love lenses that have built in lens hoods (even if some say they are not as effective). I should use my copy more often Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila, Klaus, and Pontus, thanks! Smile Will be loading a roll of KG100 in the FG to try it. Another flickr fave and this time
from the aging 6MP Nikon D50 with the AIS version:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8376/8509601537_52223359b6_h.jpg

Trying to decide on the D5100 (has the improved articulated screen over the D5000, or the D7000 that has onboard flash commander)
Both share the same sensor...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I did try AIS version black like this and oldest NON AI, oldest non AI is average.Is this AIS lens ?

I used only a few nikkor lenses.

Not the 105 (none of them). But can't beleave you. Shocked

A lot of fame for the non AI 105 in the 60's and the 70's. And is only average lens? Shocked

You have killed a mito!!!! Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The camera and lense both look great Bill. I'm anxious to see what you get with the gold and this rig.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old non AI Sonnar lens certainly was no slouch in the portrait realm, as it was the gold standard for 35mm format portraiture all through the 1960's. The AI Gauss type lens was better optimized for portrait distances than the non AI Sonnar, precisely because it was used so much for that purpose.

I have a near mint late Sonnar design, I purchased with matching hood, caps, bubble case, and box for $100.00 at a swap meet in Omaha, NE, and do not feel the itch to get an AI version-the older version suits me just fine.Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky you Bill as I would like this lens but it's expensive on the bay, but what has worked for me in the past (and now) against buying lenses like this is:- Just calm down as you (meaning I) don't really need these sort of lenses as I can equal any performance advantage for sharpness\quality in the final shot\results by...... just using my medium format film cameras Wink

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron, thanks, anxious to see some results myself. Loaded KG200 by mistake, already had it threaded thru the take-up spool and just
went with it, senior moment.

Anscochrome, I've seen some amazing photos with the Sonnar version, can't blame you.

Excal, yes, but I have a little less weight to pack around, that's my story, and am sticking with it. Wink Smile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned 3 versions of this lens: a late non-AI; an AI; and a couple of AIS. They all had their own strengths and weaknesses. My favorite was the AI for its sharpness and overall 3D character. The AIS was not quite as sharp, but had excellent saturation and contrast. The non-AI gave an almost soft-focus look to portraits, yet was actually pretty sharp. I think this was what made folks love the lens as a portrait lens yet reviews always went on about how sharp it was. It has a unique character at the portrait distance that I have not seen in any other lens.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DR.JUAN wrote:
Attila wrote:

I used only a few nikkor lenses.

Not the 105 (none of them). But can't beleave you. Shocked

A lot of fame for the non AI 105 in the 60's and the 70's. And is only average lens? Shocked

You have killed a mito!!!! Very Happy

After shoot with may hundreds of lenses, hard to find not average one Smile. 85-100mm usually nice even from Vivitar.
I had several copies from non AI 105mm lens, I wasn't impress enough to keep it ,even 6 yrs before when I did shoot with first one. I never had AI, just AIS, I sold only due common lens and I can buy anytime.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get it guys: don't we (hopefully) all know that it is not a lens that makes
an image unique, that it ultimately is the photographer knowing and using its tools
to the fullest? Do you still believe it is the lens? Oh and yes, the stork brings the
babies, I totally forgot... Wink

I have no doubt that Bill will get fantastic images, from what I have seem of him!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of noticeable differences between lenses. Same scene, same lighting, different result. Different "look", colors, saturation, bloom, bokeh, 3D character. I can see big differences between 3 different types of 105/2.5 Nikkors. So, same photographer, same techniques, different lenses = different results.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray Parkhurst wrote:
There are a lot of noticeable differences between lenses. Same scene, same lighting, different result. Different "look", colors, saturation, bloom, bokeh, 3D character. I can see big differences between 3 different types of 105/2.5 Nikkors. So, same photographer, same techniques, different lenses = different results.

Has anyone ever done a comparison between all three? It would interesting to see they compare. FWIW, I have the later Ai-S version.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSG wrote:
Ray Parkhurst wrote:

Has anyone ever done a comparison between all three? It would interesting to see they compare. FWIW, I have the later Ai-S version.

I should have said "I saw big differences" because I don't currently own any of the 3 lenses I owned. I also did not own all 3 at the same time...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think it makes sense to get a 105/2.5 Ais with a broken aperture "pin"? Otherwise the lens is in very good condition, one of the latest series, according to the serial no. It works wide open, only can't be stopped down. Is it a comples repair to fix something like that?