Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Adapters with focus confirmation: do they work fine?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:42 am    Post subject: Adapters with focus confirmation: do they work fine? Reply with quote

So far I've only bought adapters without any focus confirmation. I was wondering if an adapter with focus confirmation actually works and what to expect.
Does the focus confirmation make it possible to use, for instance, a old Helios 44 with the auto-switch button on my 7D and then take advantages of the 7D AF system or I'm misunderstanding?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Adapters with focus confirmation: do they work fine? Reply with quote

pdesopo wrote:
[...]old Helios 44 with the auto-switch button on my 7D and then take advantages of the 7D AF system [...]

Yes, that's what it's for. When the subject is in focus the camera will indicate this (beep). Personally I find it dispensable because it's not very exact. It's more like the AF is telling you "approximately in focus".
I use the viewinder with Eg-S Screen and for critical focus the 10x magnified live view.

A side-note: The Auto-Switch button on helios has nothing to do with this, it's for aperture control on old camera

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you pst.
I was thinking to try one of these adapters, as I find very difficult to shoot manually, if not impossible when it comes to take sport or wild life pictures.
So far what hold me back to buy one adapter like that is some posts I read sometimes ago on other forums (cannot remember which). Someone were pointing at the risk that comes with these adapters as they may damage the electronic part on the camera. Is that true?

P.S. yeah, I made some confusion about the auto switch button, thanks for clarifying that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are brave! Shooting sports and wildlife with MF Cool
Yes, I think AF-confirm might help a bit, but IMHO I think it would be much better to use an AF lens. Especially when you have the 7D with great AF sensor anyway.

The stories on damaging the electronics, well, I read them too. Are they true, I don't know, but let's say they are so rare, that I don't think it's really a problem.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pst wrote:
You are brave! Shooting sports and wildlife with MF Cool

No I usually don't Smile
I just tried and realized that was more something like a reason for headaches, but I think that for some subjects is still doable.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pietro, I don't think the AF confirm beep will help you much with sport pictures. It might be more useful for wildlife if you have a little more time, but it's not what you're hoping for I imagine. It takes me just as long to focus with the beep as it does with a microprism screen, because there's a range of "in-focus" distance when the AF beeps. The first beep happens at different places depending on which way you turn the dial, so you're never certain that you've hit the right spot. And the sensor won't beep at all if the lens is stopped down above f8 in good light, lower if the light is poor. I've given up relying on the beeps and I don't notice them now. For action shots the best thing is to try to anticipate where the action will be and prefocus there, so that you're ready to take the shot. Higher shutter speeds are usually necessary for action shots, but remember the extra depth of field you get with higher f stops.

Still, I guess you have to try one for yourself to make up your own mind. I've never heard of anyone damaging the camera electrics with a chipped adapter, We have many members who use them and not one has reported any problems, I'm sure we would have heard about it by now! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: problem with lens Reply with quote

i have problem with helios 44M and M42-EOS(focus confirm) adapter on my canon 450D! I used extension tube with this lens and i can focus(focus beeping) just on f2 - f4! why?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: problem with lens Reply with quote

vanilla437 wrote:
i have problem with helios 44M and M42-EOS adapter on my canon 450D! I used extension tube with this lens and i can focus just on f2 - f4! why?

You mean you only hear the beeps up to f4?

This is because extension tubes reduce the amount of light that enters the camera. Depending on the length of extension, you can lose up to 2 stops, or even more with bellows. If you have the 44M with the auto-manual switch, try focussing wide open with the switch on auto, set the aperture you need and then change the switch to manual to stop down after you've focussed.

Have you tried reversing the lens for macro shots? That will give you a little more light to work with, or you could try using a ring flash or an ordinary flash with a diffuser. Please have a look at this thread about DIY diffusers:
http://forum.mflenses.com/diy-macro-flash-diffusor-my-version-t30075,highlight,%2Bmacro+%2Bflash.html
and follow the link to our member Rense's blog site.

Last edited by peterqd on Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:58 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beeping just on f2 - f4! on f5.6 - f16 is not beeping! Ok, i try with flash

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Hi Pietro, I don't think the AF confirm beep will help you much with sport pictures. It might be more useful for wildlife if you have a little more time, but it's not what you're hoping for I imagine. It takes me just as long to focus with the beep as it does with a microprism screen, because there's a range of "in-focus" distance when the AF beeps. [...]

Still, I guess you have to try one for yourself to make up your own mind. I've never heard of anyone damaging the camera electrics with a chipped adapter, We have many members who use them and not one has reported any problems, I'm sure we would have heard about it by now! Smile

Peterqd,

Thanks for your feedback.
I've realized I'm simply forgetting what shooting in auto mode means. Strange feeling, kinda guilty for having bought a camera like the 7D and not fully using it, but still I find manual so fun!

I guess I've to use the only EF lens left in my arsenal and see what I'm really missing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite new in the Manual Focus scene and have recently tried an adapter with focus confirmation. It actually does not work. Especially at wide open. Some would say it only works at wide open because there's much light coming into the lens so the focus indicator is more able to see if the picture will be sharp.

But the thing is, at wide open you have a small DOF and the focus has to be 100% exact for the photo to be its sharpest. With a focus indicator it is not exact enough. I took a photo with focus indicator of my son, zoomed in on his eyelashes and I could not see the each individual lashes. Instead it was a brown haze. When I shot it without the focus confirmation and used my own senses, I could see each individual lashes for the result was much and much sharper.

Also, without zooming in you could see in my photo-editor software that the photo's were blurry. So at wide open the photo's are just plain useless.

I used the Porst 55mm Color Reflex f1.4 at wide open for this test. Focus was done on the eyes.

The girl, with focus confirmation

The boy, without focus confirmation.

Of course the boy's picture is taken closer, but the eyes of the girl are just plain blurry, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AF confirm chips have improved from the days of smoking cameras & inaccurate confirmation. Today's AF confirm chips, such as the "Dandelion", utilize the more accurate AF sensing available in later dSLRs. The only known problem is the AF chips do not work with some of the latest cameras such as Canon 5DIII -- AF chip makers are working on new versions...

Personally, I prefer no AF chip -- I find the blinking AF points in the viewfinder to be too distracting, and, I get lazy and don't look as closely at viewfinder as I should for best results. After my second time trying AF chip, I again decide without chip is better for me.

AF chip confirmation isn't going to help manual focus any quicker. Wink In fact, looking for focus points to light can be slower than looking at actual focus. There may be some advantage with cameras that will actuate shutter when a focus point lights (with focus-confirmation beep).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chips definitely don't work with newer models, the t4i included

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Adapters with focus confirmation: do they work fine? Reply with quote

pst wrote:
Personally I find it dispensable because it's not very exact. It's more like the AF is telling you "approximately in focus".

+1
All my early adapters had the focus confirmation chip, they made me think either my camera was faulty or the lenses I bought were duds. (or I was useless) Sad

I've since taken a pair of pliers to most of them and pulled the chip off the adapter. I now rely on my ever-decreasing eyesight, it's actually more reliable than (most of) those chipped adapters.

As for shooting sports and wildlife with MF lenses, it can be done. There are four critical elements; patience, practice, timing and luck. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
I find the blinking AF points in the viewfinder to be too distracting

Me too, I have turned off the AF points overlay (is that it's name?) so that I have an empty viewfinder to look through.