Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ica Icarette B
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Ica Icarette B Reply with quote

I just got an Ica Icarette B on ebay. paid just over a tenner for it. The photos showed it closed and when pressed for more images the seller took more photos of it closed So I took a chance. Delivered the next day I opened it and it's beautiful.

Small, I didn't realise it was so tiny! A real pocket camera! It takes 6x6cm photos on 120 film. It's a real jewel.

The lens is clear - well a couple of specks of dust, but the aperture is nice and the shutter works, the speeds are different but I don't know how accurate. The bellows appear to be light tight. I intend putting a film through this beauty. I am so pleased with this camera. I have had folders younger than this that have been in a lot worse condition.

Spec:

Type: 120 Rollfilm folder. Made about 1920 and 1925 by Ica before Zeiss took them over.

Lens: 7.5cm f6.8 Helka Double anastigmat lens

Shutter: Ica leaf shutter with speeds 1/25, 1/50 and 1/100 sec. plus B and T mode

The camera also has a plate back and there is a lever to change infinity when using plates.

The case is leather but has been scorched to the point of burning I don't know if there is anything I can do about it. Suggestions?

Pics:

The 120 spool inside is wooden but seems a little narrower than the spare metal one I have see below

The metal one's flanges (from a Voigtlander Bessa) are 2.5cm diameter and the one in the Icarette is 2.1cm. The camera only takes the smaller spool. Which is standard? and importantly will my camera accept modern 120 film on modern spools?? Help!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did expect lot bigger , just like you, Ica was a great maker indeed. Congrats!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Ica Icarette B Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
..........The case is leather but has been scorched to the point of burning I don't know if there is anything I can do about it. Suggestions?

I use black shoepolish on worn cameraleather.

The spool of your camera is a 620-spool. In order to use a 120-spool in your camera you will have to clip the edges of a 120-spool to make it fit.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful acquisition! Smile
(I've posted some thoughts about the spools on the spools thread http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1304989.html#1304989 .)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite the spool business, that is one hell of a looker, a fine camera indeed. I'm also thinking that with the rear flap you might fashion something to hold a digital camera and use it that way, just for fun.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Despite the spool business, that is one hell of a looker, a fine camera indeed. I'm also thinking that with the rear flap you might fashion something to hold a digital camera and use it that way, just for fun.

What a great idea! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I'll look at connecting it to my NEX. Watch this space!! Thanks!!

here is some info I found at Butkus on this camera

Unfortunately I don't have the focusing hood and plate holders

and this from camera-wiki.org

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bogie wrote:
philslizzy wrote:
..........The case is leather but has been scorched to the point of burning I don't know if there is anything I can do about it. Suggestions?

I use black shoepolish on worn cameraleather...

It was the camera case not the leather on the camera. I use the sponge-on type of polish rather than the wax bases solid type. It looks lovely now.

Nesster wrote:

Well Nesster it took me 20 minutes to have my NEX attached. Now my Icarette has a digital back until I sort out the spool business. see the spool thread: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1304991.html#1304991

Here's the adapter. I cut a piece of plasticard 1.5mm thick to precisely the size of the plate back cover and filed the edges down so that it slides into the grooves. The grip on my camera prevented me mounting the Icarette flush to the body so a little thickness was needed. A spare m39 adapter fitted the bill. I attached the adapter to the NEX and marked its position and cut a hole in the plastic just a little smaller than the m39 thread. I simply sanded the surface of the adapter and glued it into position, allowing the epoxy resin to flow into the threads of the adapter. It works a treat! Ok the focusing on the Icarette has to be further back but that's no problem. I'll finish of the adapter with a lick of black paint. But meanwhile its great. I'll go out on Thursday morning and give it a go.

and my Nex piggybacked on it.

An unretouched picture (just resized) taken through my window within half an hour of reading Nesster's suggestion.

and one taken tonight in the kitchen. I used auto levels to bring it up. The 100% crop shows great detail. Fantastic for a lens that's about 90 years old!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Cool WAY cool, you, sir, are my hero in the messin-with-cameras-for-the-hell-of-it department. Super result, and a neat job.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent job, a very good conversion. Cool

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Very Happy Cool WAY cool, you, sir, are my hero in the messin-with-cameras-for-the-hell-of-it department. Super result, and a neat job.

Laughing Laughing Laughing .Thanks for the compliment, you don't know how long I laughed for when I read this Laughing Laughing Laughing

Lloydy wrote:
Excellent job, a very good conversion. Cool

Thanks Dave, Easily done. All you need is inspiration.

I can use the lens from this fine camera without taking it off, if only it were so simple with other cameras.

When I give it a go outside I'm going to use the camera shutter to make exposures to see how it fares.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after posting the above I noticed 'tree fellers' outside my flat. Yes there were tree of them and the one up the tree was having trouble with his chainsaw. Here is a photo taken with the Icarette and it's 'digital back'. taken 'tru' my double glazed window.

The images are lacking in contrast but that is a 90 year old lens. The 100% crop had had 'auto contrast' added in photoshop. I'm happy with this camera!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICA were a top maker, I have often thought about buying a Cocarette because I need a 6x9 folder with sliding bed focus, but the Cocarette has a stupid bottom loading system like a Leica, so I discounted it for my list of possibilities.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy,

A neat way of attaching an old camera.

I see fully the contrast issue after seeing other photographs, and how a little manipulation can bring out the colours.

Thanks for the tips, and all the best using your setup above, and long may you remain hero in the messin-with-cameras-for-the-hell-of-it department.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zelda_n64 wrote:
philslizzy,

A neat way of attaching an old camera.

I see fully the contrast issue after seeing other photographs, and how a little manipulation can bring out the colours.

Thanks for the tips, and all the best using your setup above, and long may you remain hero in the messin-with-cameras-for-the-hell-of-it department.

Cheers Zelda, It's what I do!!