Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 44-2 problem
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Helios 44-2 problem Reply with quote

I recently purchased this lens and seem to have a problem. Smile
Sample picture, wide open - and I do mean wide open - at f16.

So, at f16 the lens is wide open and at f2 the lens is stopped down.
Any suggestions?
It doesn't really matter as all I have to do is look or remember.

Ken

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 44-2 has two aperture rings on the front of the lens, the front one with the numbers has click stops and is the working aperture ring, the second one behind that is the stop down ring that allows you to open the aperture - from the one set on the front ring - to have it wide open for focusing.

There is a tiny red dot right on the front rim that is the aperture setting mark, but on many lenses that is worn off.

I never use the front ring, I leave it on f16 then use the stop down ring. It took me a while to sort this out. Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That explains it. I thought I'd knackered it!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 44-2 doesn't work like normal preset lenses, where you 'preset' the aperture you want to shoot at, do your focusing wide open, then turn the second ring to stop down and take the shot, most of them you turn the second ring towards the bigger numbers to stop down, but with the 44-2 you turn it towards the smaller numbers.
A little confusing at first, but you do get used to it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
The 44-2 doesn't work like normal preset lenses, where you 'preset' the aperture you want to shoot at, do your focusing wide open, then turn the second ring to stop down and take the shot, most of them you turn the second ring towards the bigger numbers to stop down, but with the 44-2 you turn it towards the smaller numbers.

not only helios 44 is like that, also jupiter 9 and helios 40-2 i have are like that

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, it's so obvious but it just didn't look right.

Next problem is: do marshmallows eventually flush down a toilet?
My daughter had some friends around last night.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
Lightshow wrote:

not only helios 44 is like that, also jupiter 9 and helios 40-2 i have are like that

My MIR 1v behaves in a similar way.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be a Russian thing... :p

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Must be a Russian thing... :p

Probably.
The only russian preset lens I know that doesn't use this system is the Industar 61L/3.