Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Takumar 50/1.4 portraits
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Takumar 50/1.4 portraits Reply with quote

My nephew at different mood, fist one didnt nail the focus as it was evening time , tools-Sony nex 3+ super -takumar 50mm f1.4 at f1.8

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first is the best (IMHO).
The second will need little more DOF to improve.

Luca

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm you said it right ellipi Wink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raay04 wrote:
hmm you said it right ellipi Wink

First technically not good , but shows perfect emotion. I also like it better, due expression , second shoot perfect example why silly to shoot wide open a portrait, avoid from wide open much as you can and if need smooth background put distance behind model. Don't follow wide open maze, shoot at stopped down , ideally at F8.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonderful, love them both.
no need for sharpness on the first, I like the narrow dof of the second but sharpness could be a bit better, suppose there is minimal front focus.
great tones, makes them look like old prints

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your valuable input Atilla but imho if i shoot at f8 then why would i need a takumar Shocked ican do that with a kit lense!!! and i purposefully used shallow dof ,wanted just part of face in focus ,but your views are noted ,still learning photography,havent taken any classes ,totally self rather internet taught,used to use a P&S ,first time with large sensor real camera (though some might say NEX is a toy)
so got to learn more by experimenting!!!! more over these photos were taken at dusk so had to use large aperture as all shots are handheld!!!!
@Kuaan-- yes the 1st pic just caught my eye,2nd one is focused on the nose mostly ,missed the eyes ,should have used f2 or f2.8 but as i said earlier it was really getting dark!! any way thanks for your valuable views ,will try to improve next time!!!! cheers
Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beginner behavior to shoot wide open , everybody do same mistake, somebody learn and step over somebody not, I did step over on it, accept advice from a pro photographer years ago. Wide open is twin ice, especially on portraits, rare come out well enough.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Atilla -will keep in mind next time!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raay04 wrote:
@Atilla -will keep in mind next time!!!

If you willing to keep my advice , set camera to series, shoot one series to stop down ideally at F8 and 1/250 to avoid any model movement and handshake, ideally try to keep huge distance in background. Shoot a series near wide open like at F2, or F2.8. You will have two series with guaranteed results and if you still have an opportunity to shoot more this is wide open time shoot last series at wide open. Fast card required to capture at least 5-10 images in one series.

Look forward your next ones, I am curios Smile You have nice colorful country with kind of people who are willing to pose and skin tone is beautiful. I spent half year in New Delhi, I remember for lovely smiles. You are living in a photographer paradise.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First one is a great capture. One could say it being out of focus partially helps. Second one shows that he's one tough guy!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i also think that first one is great. good job!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah atilla ,will try ur advice next time,good advice but already using speed priority mode,nex time will try at different apertures!!!! You said right bout the colours ,the people, but only if the people will agree with you about their skintone!!!! Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not long time ago any photo taken with my APS-C cam had a difficult stance with some prominent members here simply because they had not been taken with a FF but 'only' an APS-C camera, which, as I was told, 'killed' the bokeh. Lately it's more all the opposite, some threads have been overly clustered by the repetitious opinion that thin dof. and fast apertures are the folly of the beginner and that the advanced photographer would use the lens stopped down, unfortunately often in threads e.g. about the Speed booster where imo it is completely out of place.

Attila sure has a point here but imo he overshoots, it's not silly nor, at least not necessarily, the sign of a beginner to use thin dof for portraits. Certainly one can learn from Attila's experience and take his well meant advice to heart but please don't feel discouraged to use your 1.4/50 Tak wide open or at wide apertures! Possibly after some time you come to the same conclusion as Attila, but specially since you are coming from a P&S enjoy the new possibility of the unique rendering of a lens wide open and the thin dof to the content of your heart, play, enjoy, learn, play more and above all have fun! Smile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the first one: most of the job is done through good timing by the photographer and a wonderful expression by the subject.
The blurriness gives it something, though, and the peculiar oof rendition of the super tak also helped.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ kuuan- i have taken Attilas advice but in no way am i discouraged to shoot at wide apertures ,as i only had point and shoot before iam FADE UP of too much depth of field ,now this wide apertures ,out of focus backgrounds has breathed life into my passion for photohraphy,so no shying away from wide apertures!!! May be after to many misses might change ,but the beauty of the nex system over others is the focus peaking feature(sure atilla knows this) ,i see focus peak on the eyes also (in good light) so focusing is no trouble ,the trouble may be that during shooting i might just move a inch and the dof being so thin falls on area which is not actually intended,so result may be blurry!!!!may be If i had a longer lens say 85mm or 135 mm i might not shoot at wide apertures as even stopped down this lenses would give good Bokeh being longer focal length!!!! but with a 50mm on crop sensor to get the oof i have to use larger aperture!!!,Thanks Aanything for your comments

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

right ON raay Smile you emotional response says it all!

still a few notes:
A 50mm on a NEX is great for 'intimate' portraits taken 'live'. The distortion of the second photo together with the shallow dof imo makes it look as if it was taken with a wider lens even, certainly different to a classical portrait for which a longer lens and also smaller aperture might be the better choice, it looks much more 'immediate and intimate'. Certainly a 85 or 135 can be used wide open too Wink

missing the focus should imo not be any reason to not focus wide open, on the contrary, focusing wide open is a good practice that allows for the most precise focusing. Lenses that lack sharpness / contrast wide open may be better to focus stopped down just a stop.

you mention focus peaking but don't mention live view enlargement which for precise focusing I find even more helpful than focus peaking. If you camera doesn't have this feature yet, if I am not mistaken a firmware upgrade will add it to your camera, to get the right one choose you operating system: http://www.sony-asia.com/support/product/nex-3a

cheers,
andreas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kuuan ,yes i do have magnification feature ,but i hurredly took this photo , didnt use live view magnification!!!! Smile