Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron 24mm f2.5 01B
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy only focuses to about 4m / 12 feet when mounted on my D90. But front part is flush with lens body (as I see on pictures of other lenses) and distance scale markings of ininity and mini focusing are where they should, so the lens has not been opened and wrongly re-assembled. Anyone noticed the same issue ?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great captures speaking well on photographer's capacities and processing habits, congrats!

Was that Nik or another software you used to process your shots?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Yes, I used Nik to add film simulations to some of the girl portrait shots. Some photos are jpegs only, like the portrait of a man. BTW, I will never give up on a lens and say that it is a cheap lens. Every lens has it strengths and weaknesses. We just need to use it in the most suitable way so that its strengths will be enhanced.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am positively impressed with your work with the light. You did a really clean and neat highlight of main subjects without a trace of digital "over-" artifacts.

The man's face seems to benefit of the same highlight effect. As long as it as an SOOC shot, I admit you have a spontaneous feeling of good light. That's a very advantageous capacity for a photographer.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indigo82 wrote:
Thank you. Yes, I used Nik to add film simulations to some of the girl portrait shots. Some photos are jpegs only, like the portrait of a man. BTW, I will never give up on a lens and say that it is a cheap lens. Every lens has it strengths and weaknesses. We just need to use it in the most suitable way so that its strengths will be enhanced.

Indeed. I have the same lens, too, and what I can say that this is definitely not a landscape lens, since its field curvature, that luckily doesn't matter too much with closer three dimensional subjects, like you showed. I have several Tamron, mainly for a nostalgy factor, since when I was a boy I used to buy them until I was able to reach better glass. So, I had, in Adaptall-2 or SP, almost any lens: 17, 24, 28, 90, 135, 35/70, 35/200, 28/135, 28/80, 80/210, 70/210, 300, 500, and probably more. Definitely a mixed bag; any lens has its strenghts and its faults, but, to sum up, honest stuff!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phalbert wrote:
My copy only focuses to about 4m / 12 feet when mounted on my D90. But front part is flush with lens body (as I see on pictures of other lenses) and distance scale markings of ininity and mini focusing are where they should, so the lens has not been opened and wrongly re-assembled. Anyone noticed the same issue ?

Something is wrong with adaptall mount -- too thick.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are not high resolution pics but they seem quite excellent to my eyes. Good lens, excellent photographer.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something is wrong with adaptall mount -- too thick.[/quote]
Yes, thanks. That's the logic. But it works as it should with other tamrons. So the problem should be with lens ? Maybe the back of the lens has been machined to one end of the tolerances and my adaptall ring to the other end ?... I really don't see anything wrong with the lens. I'll just keep using it as is.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phalbert wrote:

One of my tamron is about the same,but with an M42 adapter ,I put a silicone joint between the m42 adaptall and the m42-nex adapter,and this way I have the lens fully working. Your lens might be to far away from the sensor ,that's why it won't reach infinity.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
Phalbert wrote:

One of my tamron is about the same,but with an M42 adapter ,I put a silicone joint between the m42 adaptall and the m42-nex adapter,and this way I have the lens fully working. Your lens might be to far away from the sensor ,that's why it won't reach infinity.

Doesn't silicon joint move lens farther from sensor so it focuses closer?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry ,you right, my issue was that with the adapter , FD and NIK wouldn't reach infinity , that's why I've used the silicon joint, to move the lens a bit further the sensor . With a Sonnar 135 c/y ,I'm having another issue that lens won't reach infinity , I might need to remove the chine plated ring and remove a little bit of the paint of the ring underneath that chrome ring. It's hard to find perfect adapters , there is a member that was suggesting that we should have an adapter working properly for every lens. With the tamron ,at the beginning I thought there was something wrong with the lens , at least that option wouod allow use the lens more than portraits style.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
Sorry ,you right, my issue was that with the adapter , FD and NIK wouldn't reach infinity , that's why I've used the silicon joint, to move the lens a bit further the sensor . With a Sonnar 135 c/y ,I'm having another issue that lens won't reach infinity , I might need to remove the chine plated ring and remove a little bit of the paint of the ring underneath that chrome ring. It's hard to find perfect adapters , there is a member that was suggesting that we should have an adapter working properly for every lens. With the tamron ,at the beginning I thought there was something wrong with the lens , at least that option wouod allow use the lens more than portraits style.

i had a similar issue with a tamron sp 90mm, it came with an adaptall-2 adapter marked 'K/A', which i took to be pentax K/pentax A, and it mounted right up to my PK-NEX adapter but could only focus to about 10ft out; turns out (as is probably obvious to everyone else) it was actually a konica AR adaptall-2 adapter, and once i switched it to a KAR-NEX adapter it was fine.

it's maybe also worth mentioning, you can likely cut out the middleman and get an adaptall-2 adapter for your camera; i got an adaptall-to-nex adapter and it's great, gets rid of all the wobbly bits.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
You might find this list helpful:

http://www.gyes.eu/documents/tamron-adaptall-2_lenses.pdf

Thank you for posting. That is the first I have seen that listing. You have to scroll down for the primes.

Well, I am surprised to learn my 01BB was introduced ten years after the older 01B. Yet references are saying there is no improvement in the 01BB optics over the original lens. I would have hoped for a better outcome, so much time having elapsed between the two introductions.

Oh, well. Sad

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
marcusBMG wrote:
You might find this list helpful:

http://www.gyes.eu/documents/tamron-adaptall-2_lenses.pdf

Thank you for posting. That is the first I have seen that listing. You have to scroll down for the primes.

Well, I am surprised to learn my 01BB was introduced ten years after the older 01B. Yet references are saying there is no improvement in the 01BB optics over the original lens. I would have hoped for a better outcome, so much time having elapsed between the two introductions.

Oh, well. Sad

They did a cosmetic update of some primes at the same time, as fat as I know the 17, 24, 28, & 90mm lenses all got the makeover with no optical update. I guess it was a holding update as they were working on AF lens designs. The lens above just got more plastic on the barrels and a little clear plastic window over the focusing scale to match the AF lenses Minolta etc. were introducing from the mid 80s.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you take a look at the PentaxForums you get a nice comparison of both models 01b and 01bb: https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/tamron-adaptall-2-sp-24mm-f2-5-01bb.html
I am owning the 01BB and I cannot complain. http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20213/big_11641_1EF5B035BC5A48DEB77FFDBD2684D3EC_1.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also own the 01BB and I've been very happy with mine. You know, for the life of me, I don't know why Tamron didn't list the 01B and BB as SP lenses. The early 01B looks like a truncated version of the SP 90mm macro that I own, and the 90mm was dubbed an SP, but the 24mm didn't make the cut. Strange, I think, because its performance is certainly up to the task.