Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Asahi Takumar 200mm f3.5 Pre set
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Asahi Takumar 200mm f3.5 Pre set Reply with quote

Hi All

Picked up this early version of the Takumar 200mm, this one has the aperture blades to the front of the lens. It's a big, especially with the hood but not to heavy piece of glass, does suffers from CA but boy it the right conditions does it shine, all taken at F4 (love the half clicks) and no PP although I think the fishing boat was cropped just for centre. Anyway you guys can make up your mind:

Thanks
Neil

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look alright,the colors are very nice.I always look at the reds in an image as they can be hard to get right.Any chance of seeing the lens itself?
I do like old preset lenses Cool

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't got this Takumar, my 200 is the f4, and I don't use any of them a great deal, I don't know why. They always deliver the goods. Those are good images, it's a keeper.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two copies of this lens. The member that goes by the name Colorado CJ has made this lens shine in all it's glory.

http://forum.mflenses.com/old-and-new-takumar-200mm-f3-5-preset-and-d600-t56768.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/winter-wildlife-takumar-200mm-f3-5-preset-t51708.html

I believe that he has more on the pentaxforum.

My Nikon body does get alone well with this lens.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
They look alright,the colors are very nice.I always look at the reds in an image as they can be hard to get right.Any chance of seeing the lens itself?

Hi Mo

Here you go:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/old-takumar-200-3-5-preset-frankensteins-monster-t12424,highlight,%2Btakumar.html

I have a beat-up copy
It gives consistently pleasing results, though not best at pixel-peeping at f/3.5.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
http://forum.mflenses.com/old-takumar-200-3-5-preset-frankensteins-monster-t12424,highlight,%2Btakumar.html

I have a beat-up copy
It gives consistently pleasing results, though not best at pixel-peeping at f/3.5.

Totally agree, I consider it the best 200mm I've managed to get my grubby hands on to date.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:

I have a beat-up copy

great samples Luis Smile

mo wrote:
Any chance of seeing the lens itself?

here another views of it, mounted on a Pentax ESII

and showing it's many aperture blades, keeping the aperture round when stopped down:

and a sample taken with it, on Pentax K-x

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the DOG shot! Smile
Good looking lens, and very good performer too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting these,I am sure I have seen this lens before and let it go instead of bidding on it Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be clear, the Super or S-M-C Takumar 200/4 is a better lens, is much easier to find, and is just as cheap if not cheaper.
And there are 200/3.5 lenses that are sharper wide open.
Even some 80-200 zooms are sharper wide open at 200mm, like the Tamron 103A, but not just that one.

This one does have a "look" though, I'm not sure I can describe the specific effect, bokeh or colors, or what, but it is quite pleasing.
This one seems to "snap" into focus for me. Some lenses have that quality, some don't, why I don't know.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP's images are quite nice. I had this same early version (1958) and was not impressed with it. Sold it rather quickly. I'd still like to try the later version of this 200mm f3.5 preset. I also disagree that the 200mm f4 is the best. The Tele-Takumar 200mm f5.6 is a terrific lens for color and contrast and is small and light as a bonus (49mm filters). The f4 seems to be a lens design of compromise.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheekygeek wrote:
The OP's images are quite nice. I had this same early version (1958) and was not impressed with it. Sold it rather quickly. I'd still like to try the later version of this 200mm f3.5 preset. I also disagree that the 200mm f4 is the best. The Tele-Takumar 200mm f5.6 is a terrific lens for color and contrast and is small and light as a bonus (49mm filters). The f4 seems to be a lens design of compromise.

How do you know which is the early version? I have two with one that has yellow number and the other white numbers. I'm guessing one is the first version.

I haven't had much time to use this lens as I would like to. Maybe because of my Nikon body, but if Colorado CJ can do it with his D600 then so can I.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a copy of this lens.. can't wait to try it! I heard it has better bokeh than the bokeh monster Pentacon 135/2.8.

It however does not have the tripod mount and my cam don't have image stabilization.. Sad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:
I just got a copy of this lens.. can't wait to try it! I heard it has better bokeh than the bokeh monster Pentacon 135/2.8.

It however does not have the tripod mount and my cam don't have image stabilization.. Sad

It is heavy. You might want to try a bean bag for support.
Beautifully made lens
OH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an image shot wide open at f3.5.
There is CA - sharpness is OK for my eyes.
OH

100% crop

Wide open @f3.5

Stopped down to f8

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the difference between this one, and the silver version?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm..the one you show vanylapep is the preset f3.5/135mm, not the f3.5/200mm.
There is only one version of the preset 3.5/200 and that is all black, and there are two versions of the M42 3.5/135 preset Tak, the one you show and another all black.
There is a silver version of the 3.5/135 in M37, the mount used by Pentax before they switched to M42 in 1957.
These three preset 3.5/135, I believe, all have the same optical formula

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! It makes sense.. i didn't even realize I was comparing 135mm to 200mm Razz

Thanks for the additional info!