Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kodak TMax still rocks! Fashion Photography on Film
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Kodak TMax still rocks! Fashion Photography on Film Reply with quote

Within the last 12months i've seen the price of 5 rolls of 120 Kodak TMax film (and other Kodak brands) increase from £18.99 to now £24.99 if some shops. I really hope it doesn't keep increasing otherwise it'll just be impractical to use vs say my Nikon D800 digital camera.

Here is medium format film at it's best in my eyes.. super sharp yet still a soft shallowness to it. A fashion photography shoot with Polish model Nella.

Mamiya RZ67 Pro II and Mamiya Sekor 110mm f2.8 (crazy sharp stopped down!)
Kodak TMax 400 (looks like TMax 100 for large negatives)
Stand development in Xtol 1:3 and Rodinal 1:100
No dust removal required and little PP

Fashion Photography by MatthewOsbornePhotography_, on Flickr

For a few more examples using Kodak film with Nella see this blog post - http://matthewosbornephotography.wordpress.com/2013/07/28/fashion-on-film-mamiya-rz67/

Kodak is my preferred film so see other blog posts for more examples. I use Kodak TMax 100 film for 35mm cameras

Fingers crossed price stops increasing!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never liked tmax, I find the tonality is lacking compared to an older non t-grain emulsion like fp4.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Kodak TMax still rocks! .. but is 120 Ilford FP4+ better? Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I've never liked tmax, I find the tonality is lacking compared to an older non t-grain emulsion like fp4.

I've tried FP4 (see older blog posts with Yashica MG-1 and model Ellie) but it can be a bit grainy for me. That was 35mm though.. perhaps I should try the 120 FP4+.

I've tried 120 Fuji Acros but other that the tone I thought it was quite similar to TMax with the naked eye.

Kodak Tri-X 400 is too grainy for models (for my taste)(even 120 Tri-X)

Maybe I will give Ilford FP4+ another go. Thanks for comment.

...here is my experience with 35mm Ilford FP4+ - http://matthewosbornephotography.wordpress.com/2013/03/29/yashica-mg-1-35mm-rangefinder/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all about what you can get the results from you like, there are so many different developers and dev methods. I rate FP4 at 64 and develop in Perceptol diluted 1:3, gives me a rich creamy tonality I like. I;ve never had the same success from tmax, although it is sharper and less grainy. Your results with it are better than mine so I can see why you like it. I have 100ft of TMAX 100 in the fridge in 35mm so I will try it again in the future.

Thanks for the links, I will enjoy taking a peek.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tmax 35mm 36 exp. went up from 400 yen to 580 yen in one hike a couple of weeks ago. Used to be the cheapest in Japan, now it's the most expensive. I prefer acros, though, but it was nice to have a cheaper option.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:34 am    Post subject: Wordpress blog Reply with quote

Yebisu wrote:
Tmax 35mm 36 exp. went up from 400 yen to 580 yen in one hike a couple of weeks ago. Used to be the cheapest in Japan, now it's the most expensive. I prefer acros, though, but it was nice to have a cheaper option.

Thanks Yebisu, i'm now following your Wordpress blog. You have some great work. I love the crush station photo.

Here is my latest blog post. I just tried Rodinal 1:100 stand development.. I like the results! Smile

http://matthewosbornephotography.wordpress.com/2013/08/02/rodinal-stand-development/