Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Schneider-Kreuznach Xenotar 150/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Schneider-Kreuznach Xenotar 150/2.8 Reply with quote

Hello everybody, recently got Schneider's Xenotar 150/2.8 in M42 mount (the mount possibly made earlier by somebody, but is very accurate). The lens is quite heavy - around 800g. I've counted 15 blades in the aperture. Has original shade. The pictures of the lens are below:

Fotos taken with it on 5DII at f2.8:

somewhere between f2.8 and f4:

at f8:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite interesting lens and very nice results!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SVP wrote:
Quite interesting lens and very nice results!

+1 and beautiful girl Wink

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats quite heavy! you did a good job controlling it. seems like a good portrait lens...
tony

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenotar for small format is pretty rare, the first time I have seen one, most of the time, it is for medium format to large format. The focal lengths I am aware of are 80mm, 100 / 105mm, these are for 6X7 and 6X9, lenses of f2.8 speed. The large format one starts with 135mm f3.5, then comes the 150mm f 2.8, both for 4X5 but with practically no movement. The rearest one could be the 210mm f2.8 Xenotar, suspect for use on 5X7 format, however infromation is very limited. Quite often, Schneider lenses for larger formats come with versions of with shutter and without shutter ( barrel version ), it is quite possible that this example might be adapted from a barrel lens. An interesting lens to use anyhow.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cambug wrote:
Xenotar for small format is pretty rare, the first time I have seen one, most of the time, it is for medium format to large format. The focal lengths I am aware of are 80mm, 100 / 105mm, these are for 6X7 and 6X9, lenses of f2.8 speed. The large format one starts with 135mm f3.5, then comes the 150mm f 2.8, both for 4X5 but with practically no movement. The rearest one could be the 210mm f2.8 Xenotar, suspect for use on 5X7 format, however infromation is very limited. Quite often, Schneider lenses for larger formats come with versions of with shutter and without shutter ( barrel version ), it is quite possible that this example might be adapted from a barrel lens. An interesting lens to use anyhow.

because of the long barrel and the focusing helicoid, it doesnt look like a large format barrel lens at all...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rare bird for sure, congrats! I miss crispy, sharp result on closer shoots.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Everybody for nice comments.

The lens IMHO is sharp enough for portraits, may be I've missed the focus a little. It is not a big problem to handle it by hand.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have occasionally seen this type with focusing mount on ebay as surplus from Photosonics, made in custom mount for their optical tracking or flight recording cameras. These were probably used in military aerospace development projects. Photosonics used quite a lot of Schneider optics.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice to me. I wasn't aware of that lens, but do have two at that uncommon focal length; and ISCO 150/4.5 and a Kaleinar 150/2.8. The ISCO is pretty good, but way too slow. The Kaleinar is as fast as yours, but does not have that wonderful multi-bladed diaphragm. From what I'm seeing, they may be roughly the same in sharpness, but bokeh may be better from yours due to the round diaphragm, or at least that aspect of bokeh. Very good find, congratulations.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: looking to sell it? Reply with quote

hi Max -

Any interest in selling or trading that Xenotar 150 you have? I could offer all sorts of interesting manual or autofocus lenses for Canon EOS, or other mounts (OM, Minolta, etc.)

thanks!
-Ed Sawyer
ed@edsawyer.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: looking to sell it? Reply with quote

EdSawyer wrote:
hi Max -

Any interest in selling or trading that Xenotar 150 you have? I could offer all sorts of interesting manual or autofocus lenses for Canon EOS, or other mounts (OM, Minolta, etc.)

thanks!
-Ed Sawyer
ed@edsawyer.com

Ed, please do such inquiries using PM - this is why we have that here.
It is of no interest to other readers.

Thanks for your cooperation.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Very nice lens which gives very good results.
A keeper !
Congratulations. Smile