Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashica - A winter's tale, becoming a project...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Yashica - A winter's tale, becoming a project... Reply with quote

... Which may last 'til spring.

Now that ah'm at least becoming efficient(if not yet proficient) at stripping and cleaning lenses, ah decided, when these two beauties became available...

That ah would try repairs and CLA. It cost me £12 for the GT and £4.99 for the M5, so ah won't be out of pocket if ah fail (not having done this before). Both cams were advertised as shutter not working. Trying them when they arrived today, both shutters are firing at all apertures, though maybe not correctly. Haven't bought batteries yet, for lamp and other functions.

Winders,self-timers work. Both cameras are manky ( a guid Scots word meaning filthy) and the M5 has a big dent in the bottom plate, which may need replaced. Almost all the light shield foam has disappeared. luckily what's left is all bone-dry and not the gummy mess they usually are..

Other shots of the M5...

Other than the bottom plate, which affects the open/close on the back door, the cam looks in good condition.

The GT , on the other hand, has not had a good life. Lots of surface abrasions and filth. Both look like they've been in garages or lofts for many years.

OH! and 3/4 of a case

It's gonna be a challenge but ah have the Yashica guy, Matt Denton and several other blogs for support.

Any input from the experience of others here would be very welcome. Cool

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing here much , what can help. I know black GT is valuable and excellent camera.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Attila,

I've started with the M5 first. Gave it a deep clean and fitted a battery. It works..! Shutter opening correctly at the proper apertures, Film counter now working, Waiting for foam for light seals, then ah'll try it out. Even the 2/3 of a case is looking good, although it needs a part for the rear flap. Still looking for a replacement baseplate but ah think it'll work OK.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent news! Look forward your shoots, I recommend a shutter speed measure device from member vfmoto, he can sell them on affordable price and must have to know actual speeds. May only half or even less than what you can read on title.
http://forum.mflenses.com/shutter-tester-for-shutter-speed-up-to-1-1000th-14-99-t28474.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stage 2 - Yashica M5

The M5 has been thoroughly cleaned, inside and out, new seals...

It's limited tae 3 settings, "window" "cloudy" "sunny" as below. These correspond tae - f2.8 f8 f22
Ah think the stepless shutter acquitted itself well, under the high contrast circumstances (and my inexperience)...

It's amazing that so many vendors advertise these as "shutter not working" without trying a battery.

I found the viewfinder to be big and bright, although my varifocal specs can be a hindrance in focusing. Being new tae rangefinders (and rangefinder focusing) as can be seen by a couple of unsharp images, ah'll give it time, though mebbe get a dioptre lens to fit the VF.

Some samples, a little PP and using a Sky 1B filter.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yashica Electro 35 GT...

Again, cleaned and seals. The over/under exp. lamps don't work but the shutter does anyway. Camera back is loose but can't see any evidence of light leak.

More sophisticated than the M5. It has an aperture range from f1.7 - f16, easier tae use with an exposure meter for confirmation of exp. The second and third images, ah left tae the shutter meter.

Samples - still learning with the focus/spectacles stand-off but it's getting better...

Since ah took these shots, the shutter button stopped working, the rewind lever jammed and the back cover fell off ! Sorted the back cover, think it's the "pad of death" with the rewind/shutter so back tae the drawing board and see if it's ...

a) fixable by me
b) economically viable tae get it repaired or buy another and keep this for spares.

Cool