Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Jena Biometar 80mm f/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:29 am    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Jena Biometar 80mm f/2.8 Reply with quote

Hi all,

Just both a Carl Zeiss Jena Biometar 80mm f/2.8 for 25€. It has a scratch on the front lens, you can see it in the first image. Do you think it will have effect on the images?
I'm waiting for my adapter, so images to be posted later.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A single scratch on the front glass will have absolutely no effect on the images.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
A single scratch on the front glass will have absolutely no effect on the images.

I though as much. I send it to be cleaned and fixed. So next week is test time Smile.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:

+1

My tamron 60-300 has a big scratch just in the middle of the front element, image is perfect. My sonnar 135 mm has plenty of cleaning marks on front element and image is perfefct too, not even reduced constrast.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:

+1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is the possibility you may get flare of some kind when shooting towards the sun, it should be easy to test when you get it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is the native lens mount for the lens?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

25€ is a very good deal for a medium format lens.
hifisapi wrote:

Pentacon Six/P6 (identical with Kiev 60 mount)
Due 6x6 coverage and good IQ it's a good candidate to convert it into a Tilt&Shift lens

A single scratch does influence the IQ only very very slightly - It will be very hard to find a diffence to a copy in perfect condition even in direct comparision.
Strong dust, haze and strong cleaning marks do affect the IQ much more than single scratches.
Also CZ Jena lenses sometimes tend to get a stiff focus and aperture mechanism, because they only had access to really crappy lube in the GDR - an this is not easy to relube.

Last edited by ForenSeil on Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
25€ is a very good deal for a medium format lens.
hifisapi wrote:

Pentacon Six/P6 (identical with Kiev 60 mount)
Due 6x6 coverage and good IQ it's a good candidate to convert it into a Tilt&Shift lens

A single scratch does influence the IQ only very very slightly - It will be very hard to find a diffence to a copy in perfect condition even in direct comparision.
Strong dust, haze and strong cleaning marks do affect the IQ much more than single scratches.
Also CZ Jena lenses sometimes tend to get a stiff focus and aperture mechanism, because they only had access to really crappy oil in the GDR - an this one would be very hard to relube.

Yes it was a good deal. Today i went to our lens fixing master, and for the price of 15€, he will clean and lube the lens.
I just took my Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35mm/F2.8 Zebra from repair, and it's one heck of a fix, since i bought it for 15€ stiff as a board.

I can't wait to get my hands on the Biometar. Twisted Evil