Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rank Taylor Hobson f4 4.5" Copying Lens for micro
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Rank Taylor Hobson f4 4.5" Copying Lens for micro Reply with quote

This is a highest resolution lens (fully open i.e. diffraction limited 175lpm center, nowhere less 50 lpm) made many years ago
for micro miniaturisation that I have since long. Took it for a walk on a dull, frosty day. All shot fully open.

Full set is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/sets/72157638112709943/

Last edited by kds315* on Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:15 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contra Lucem / High Key

Sharpness:

Bokeh:

and two for the season:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frost did give additional resolution Smile nice series, so real!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, it works very well to show how sharp it is and it looks so nicely sugar coated! Wink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to be a great lens, impressive results!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive I must say Wink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Seems to be a great lens, impressive results!

Shocked +1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful rendering, really nice results!

Renato

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... crispy Smile Interesting lens you've found!
First one is my fav Smile
Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super sharp! Was this lens made for microfiche copying? Lets see a photo of it.

Lovely photos too, great technique.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kind of post! Nice results. Looks to be about 1:4 mag or so? This is a lens that I'd never run across here in the SF Bay Area. Most of the macro stuff I find around is related to electronics manufacturing, inspection systems, etc and it's almost all Nikon, Canon, or occasionally Zeiss or Leitz. I second the motion to have a picture of the lens...Ray

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, even the historical lens department of Cooke Optics (Taylor, Taylor Hobson resp. its successors) in Leicester does not
know about that lens, so it must have been very special indeed. It was made for "micro miniaturisation" optimized for 1:10,
so I would guess it was for early integrated circuit (IC) production etc. - the first step, as it image field is rather large and
teh lens is optimized for visible light and not for UV as later lenses. So it basically was a competitor to Zeiss' special S-Planar
lenses also optimized for that same purpose.

The lens is back in my lens vault, so will take a while till I have access to it again...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found that such a lens was sold in May 2013, so here is the only pic of it that I could find:

It might well be that this is a descendant of the former TTH Copying lens for 1:1 (that I also have) invented by
Gordon COOK in 1952, filed as US Patent 2600207, a symmetrical 8e/4g modified double Gauss design (which
itself is derived from the famous design of William H LEE's OPIC lens)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
It might well be that this is a descendant of the former TTH Copying lens for 1:1 (that I also have) invented by
Gordon COOK in 1952, filed as US Patent 2600207, a symmetrical 8e/4g modified double Gauss design (which
itself is derived from the famous design of William H LEE's OPIC lens)...

My Talor Hobson 6inch/2.8 shows in some cases a strong hotspot (these plane surfaces are likely the problem). Did you experience the same with your f4 4.5"?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent series Klaus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful work Klaus.

I love TT&H lenses, I don't have many but they all have such a feeling of quality. Even my 1912 Cooke triplet shoots superbly well on digital, better than many modern lenses.

I've read some reports from people on the TT&H Copying lens, they are said to make superb taking lenses for LF.

Interesting to know that this one has a large image circle, I wonder just how big the coverage is?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

Ian, my lens is not related to those TTH Copying XEROX lenses that the LF people use, that is a different beast.
Mine was once made for micro chip making, as I have the data.