Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

X-Fujinon 1.9/50 MFD hack
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: X-Fujinon 1.9/50 MFD hack Reply with quote

I guess it would work also on some other late plastic focus ring FUJI lenses.
Just cut away 2-3cm (safe zone) of plastic stopper on focusing ring (photo before last). Getting at 35cm MFD is somehow a limit.

Still waiting for my Fujica to E-mount adapter, but those photos looks very promising:
http://www.lomography.com/magazine/178325-fujica-stx-1n-a-hugely-underrated-mechanical-slr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, my 50/1.6 is about to have surgery, thanks for the info. Twisted Evil

Under the ID ring 3 screws hold the filter ring, 3 screws hold the optical cell, then 3 screws attach the focus ring to the helicoid, correct?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Hmm, my 50/1.6 is about to have surgery, thanks for the info. Twisted Evil

Under the ID ring 3 screws hold the filter ring, 3 screws hold the optical cell, then 3 screws attach the focus ring to the helicoid, correct?

My F1.9 version didn't have special screws for front optical cell. Filter ring was holding it. Otherwise yes.
Perhaps before cutting try how far you're able to go before aperture and focus unscrew. Just watch both pins at the rear side.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pins? I guess I'll see them when I get there. Smile thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you remove plastic focusing ring, there is alu ring. it can be rotated until lens
unscrews completely (looses connection with aperture lever and focusing lever). You don't want that Smile.
Both levers (pins) can be seen from the rear side of the lens.

So, check how much of rotation is allowed before above happens. This is your
measure for cutting the plastic. 2-3cm is safe for 1.9/50mm. I don't know for 1.6/50mm.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
When you remove plastic focusing ring, there is alu ring. it can be rotated until lens
unscrews completely (looses connection with aperture lever and focusing lever). You don't want that Smile.
Both levers (pins) can be seen from the rear side of the lens.

So, check how much of rotation is allowed before above happens. This is your
measure for cutting the plastic. 2-3cm is safe for 1.9/50mm. I don't know for 1.6/50mm.

Ah the guide pins/arms that keep the optics from spinning with the focus ring, I see what you mean, thanks again.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I'd risk taking one of these X-Fujinons apart. The 1.9/50 and 2.2/55 are almost completely plastic and cheaply made, getting one back together properly might not be so easy. I took one apart and it was a nightmare, never again! Why not just use an extension tube...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the case of the 50/1.6 I have, I won't be using it as it is, 0.6m MFD is too big for what I like, which is why I bought the 55/3.5 macro, if I can cut the MFD in half it will see much more use.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful, and hope you have better luck than I did, the aperture mechanism is a funny one, it's a self-contained unit and will very readily stop working if any contaminants get inside.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's done, the 50/1.6 is made differently, the infinity/MFD stop is the difference in thickness of the focus ring wall, so it's much trickier than the 50/1.9, it's new MFD is around 52cm vs 60cm, I may be able to get it closer, I'll have to investigate what causes the helicoid to feel like it's binding(it's not the helicoid).

Their construction is unique in that you can strip it down to the helicoid all from the front end without having to dismantle the optical block.
Unscrew the Id ring, remove 3 screws that hold the filter ring,
unscrew 4 screws that hold the focus ring and let you adjust infinity,
unscrew 3 screws that attach the helicoid and optical block to the body,
you can now turn the part the helicoid that the focus ring attached to, this will free the optical block which has part of the helicoid cast into it, which is all plastic Sad the ring part of the helicoid is aluminum.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done.

Like I said, lots of plastic, easy to mess one up.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This same trick can also be used on various metal-bodied M42 EBC Fujinons, e.g., 24mm f/2.8, 28mm f/3.5, and 35mm f/2.8, all of which get quite a bit more close focus distance as a result due to relatively short focal lengths.