Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

35mm film in medium format camera
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: 35mm film in medium format camera Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NLxN-RtXc4

Sound looks silly to me, but may one of you love to play .

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's some interesting results in these Flickr groups, and a lot of crap.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/sprocketholerevolution/pool/

http://www.flickr.com/groups/sprocketwhores/

I really like this one -

I♥Taormina by iltubo, on Flickr
This guy is at least taking good pictures and using the technique to achieve something the look he's after, unlike most of the overexposed yellow lomo style crap.

I've got some Poundshop film and a couple of 127 cameras, I might just have a go.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use 35mm film in 120 backing paper, as he shows, but I wouldn't bother with the redscale backwards configuration, just use it normally.
Some 120 cameras with no red window, will allow the use of a 35mm cassette directly, like the Pentacon Six. This is a handy thing to know if you really want to use it and have no 120 film handy Smile

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, red windows can be taped black Wink

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit like LOMO to me Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

35mm film in 120/220 camera gives panorama effect...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing I like is seeing the sprocket holes, but I dare say this could easily be added to a digital image.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 words: hasselblad xpan. 'nuff said.
tony

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xpan is too expensive for most people.

You can indeed use 35mm in 120 backing, but this guy does it wrong, imho. With a 120 roll, there is 460mm of paper leader before the film, so he should be taping that 35mm not at the beginning but about 400mm from the start of the paper. The film portion extends for about 820mm then there is another 400-500mm of paper tail after the film.

I can up with a different way of using 35mm in a 120 cam. I modified a Mamiya RB67 back by fitting the spool adapters from a Yashica TLR 35mm adapter kit. I don't have to do any respooling, just use the standard 35mm cassette and the Mamiya back doesn't use red windows. This gives me 35x70 images and because I have plenty of unperf 35mm, you can use all of the 35x70 area which gives a nice 2:1 aspect ratio.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

two things:

1) for flexarets, there is official adapter for 135, so if you have i think F IV, V, VI, VII, Standard, you can use 35mm with no problems
2) why stick 35mm to 120 roll if you want to redscale effect? why not just buy 120mm C41 film andunder coplete dark switch the sides of film, tape it and youre done?

maybe iam just stupid, but i dont see any benefits of what the guy on video is doing (with his MANY fingerprints)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are not alone who found this is useless...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree too, pretty useless. I don't see the point in this redscale thing anyway, you could just use a filter to get the same effect. All you're getting is a couple of stops less light to the emulsion and a heavy orange cast. You could just stick a piece of developed but unexposed film over your lens as a filter.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exactly. i was hoping, that someone else point this obvious thing out. thank you.