Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Balda Juwella
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Balda Juwella Reply with quote

In September 2011 I won two 6X9 folders on eBay. The first, the 515-2 I posted photos of earlier today, and this Balda Juwella.

This is a curious camera with a keyhole-type accessory clip. I've never seen a single accessory for it (and honestly wouldn't know what to look for if I did see one.)

Camerapedia refers to this camera as a monkey box, and I think that's about right. Countless Juwella variations exist with differences as minor as the detail on the shutter face or as major as lens and shutter make. It's got a good lens and stops down from 1:6.3 to 1:32. THe DoF at 1:32 is pretty spectacular. And the Rodenstock lens does just fine in terms of image quality.

Here are some photos of it:

Strut detail

Shutter detail. The diamonds are very art deco. Very.

The Juwella is coming to trample your neighborhood!

It's been pretty well used, but still delivers pleasing results.

And what about image quality? Here are some samples.

8 (Fuji Velvia 50)

9 (Fuji Velvia 50, 1:32)

10 (Fuji Velvia 50)

For color, it desaturates the images a LOT. I mean, heck, this was VELVIA and the images look that desaturated with no post-processing to that effect. Blak and white it treats pretty nicely, though.

And I have a roll of Kodak 350D (35mm) that I ran through the camera still to develop. It's a nice camera and I really enjoy using it. If you have the opportunity to get one for a reasonable price (mine was $11 or so, but I see them for up to $150 in good physical condition), then it's a worthy folder.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Franka Rolfix with the same Trinar and I like it, contrast is lower but stopped down to a sensible aperture it's a good, sharp lens.

I agree, these older folders are so cheap and so capable, they make great photographic tools.