Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New 860mm F12,3 mirror lens for only 80€?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: New 860mm F12,3 mirror lens for only 80€? Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Maksutov-Teleskop-Spektiv-Fernglas-38-114x70-45-Einbl-/190435193502?pt=DE_Foto_Camcorder_Ferngl%C3%A4ser&hash=item2c56d2729e
Any idea if it's easy to remove the eyepiece and use it as lens?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks a solid bit of kit.

Incidentally, I noticed it's in Rheine, in Germany. I had many, many great times there when I was in the army. Cool

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what you can do with it ? Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at ladies from a long way away?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: New 860mm F12,3 mirror lens for only 80€? Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
Any idea if it's easy to remove the eyepiece and use it as lens?

If everything will fail there is always lathe solution Wink

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking pics of the moon, wildlife, birding, neighbours Wink
Comparable mirror lenses are generally somewhat more expensive
I'm very curious about these ultra-cheap lenses - maybe they are not worse than somwhat more expensive mirror lenses - optical design of mirror lenses doesn't need to be complicated to produce a fair to nice resolution and usable contrast.

Last edited by ForenSeil on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:39 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found anything above 400mm pretty hopeless Smile hard to handle, result often crap and if need, short, if don't need why? F12 also give very limited usage. So not an easy journey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
optical design of mirror lenses doesn't need to be complicated to produce a fair to nice resolution and usable contrast.

I agree. This is a maksutov, they are usually slower than f/10 and so it should have resolution diffraction limited. If not, it's rubbish.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem I've run into with all zoom spotting scopes for photographic use is their horrendous wide-open apertures, like f/16 or f/22. Ridiculous. The above, at f/12.3 is better than most, but dimmer than other mirrors out there that sell for about the same, and that would probably work better.

I don't know how common the Meade and Celestron spotting scopes are over on your side of the pond, but they're pretty common here, and can often be picked up for about what that spotting scope is selling for. Typically they are in the 1000mm f/10 or f/11 range. They are well-made, optically well-corrected -- usually Maksutov or Schmidt-Cassegrain -- and all the ones I've seen will accept a camera adapter easily. So, something else to consider.

For example:

Click here to see on Ebay

I've owned a couple of the Celestrons and one Meade. I found that they all did a good job as very long telephotos.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish Celestron and Meade lenses would be as in the USA here in Europe Sad