Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kunst-Portrait-Objektiv 4/60cm ZWIERZINA PLASTICCA 1920
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Kunst-Portrait-Objektiv 4/60cm ZWIERZINA PLASTICCA 1920 Reply with quote

Super rare , super fast portrait lens from 1920, front lens diameter is 13cm , made for large format wooden cameras.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting.
Is it just the front cell ?
No aperture mechanism. Makes me wonder if it could be a projection lens.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh right it says "portrait".
Still, odd to have no aperture mechanism. Even early Petzval types usually ha Waterhouse stops.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that one never had stops, it has to be used like that for soft focus portrait images.

Read the original catalog here: http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/oscar_1.html

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! I didn't think to look there.
This also seems like quite a narrow angle lens as the 60cm/24in is recommended for only a 10x12in plate.
The usual 60cm lens should cover a larger plate.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's something I'd love to see 'mounted' on a NEX Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

today everyone hunts for sharpness.. back then customers were pleased how soft lens is:)

(okay, the difference in "sensor" size is signifficant, but hey Smile )

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

berraneck wrote:
today everyone hunts for sharpness.. back then customers were pleased how soft lens is:)

(okay, the difference in "sensor" size is significant, but hey Smile )

I agree to disagree: not "everyone" is after sharpness; there is a small but growing number of photographers that understand the difference Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

true, but this is just minority

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting lens, quite different to most portrait lenses it seems as the manufacturer says it is free of spherical aberration, and most portrait lenses used spherical aberration to create the effect they were seeking. It's incorrect to suggest softness was the goal, it was smoothness they were seeking, the best old portrait lenses were quite sharp but had very smooth rendering and it is that special look you get where the image is both sharp and smooth with glow from the spherical aberration that is the classical portrait 'look'.

Sharp but smooth, and for a bonus point, can anyone guess who this woman is?