Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Early Vivitar Series 1 Advertisments
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Early Vivitar Series 1 Advertisments Reply with quote

I hope this is the right section to start this.

I have always got a soft spot for early Vivitar Series 1 lenses, those by Ellis Betensky. There are a few magazine advertisments from that period, so I have started scanning the three that I have, this is the first one. More to come.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent - I have a couple scanned, mind if I add them too? Wink

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!

Interestingly, some advertisements are also available through Google Books. This is because a number of magazines have been made digitally available. Just see for yourself:

http://books.google.com/books?q=vivitar&hl=en-us&spell=1&oi=spell&as_brr=1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody know who built the 90/2.5 for Vivitar?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good show, gentlemen! I think we can continue with this exercise, information on the real Series 1 with Betensky and Opcon parentage should be a good resource too, especially when the earlier "hard sell" advertisments carry a lot of useful data.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you click through to flickr, I have the year documented for each ad

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to see how Vivitar planned to have a whole family of more than twenty Series 1 lenses in the original generation; we can only speculate on those they planned on but never produced.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBokeh wrote:

The first Vivitar Series 1 2.5/90mm was built by Tokina,this lens was capable of up to 1:2 reproduction...with the Series 1 TC adapter it was capable of up to 1:1

Vivitar also sold a Komine built 2.8/90 about the same time period,which was not a Series 1 lens.It was capable of 1:1 without an adapter.

In the mid 80's Vivitar introduced a Series 1 2.5/90 Series 1,capable of 1:1 production ratio by itself with no adapter.Not sure who built it,as I'm not familiar with the lens...but it may have been Komine.

During this same time frame in the 80's Vivitar also sold a 2.8/90 built by Komine which was capable of 1:1 reproduction ratio.

Two other macros which started in production 1976/77well before the second generation 90 macros,were the 2.8/55mm capable of 1:1 and the 2.8/135mm close-focusing capable of 1:2,but can go 1:1 with either extension tubes or adapters.....These were Komine built.

Then from the mid -80's you have the Kiron built like a tank non-series 1 2.8 100mm capable of 1:1 by itself and the later Series 1 2.8/100.

There is also a non-series 1 3.5/100mm capable of 1:1 with an adapter,not sure who built it...probably Cosnia.

I'm sure Russ and a few others can fill in info any of the other macros that may have been produced.

Last edited by Boomer Depp on Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seele wrote:
Interesting to see how Vivitar planned to have a whole family of more than twenty Series 1 lenses in the original generation; we can only speculate on those they planned on but never produced.

There was speculation because of the odd aperture size,ie...1.9/28,2.3/135,3/200 etc. that initially sales weren't up to Ponder & Best's expectations...so they regrouped with lens apertures people were familiar with.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep 'em coming, guys! I'm another guy with a soft spot for the Vivitar S1 line. My favorite for years, and a lens I took thousands of slides with, was the S1 28-90mm f/2.8-3.5, which I bought back in about 1984. Currently I own only two Series 1s -- a 24-48 f/3.8 in Canon FD and a 28-90 f/2.8-3.5 in Nikon F. On my future acquisition list is the 200mm f/3 and the 90-180mm f/4.5 flat field macro.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info, Boomer Depp. This entire thread is very fascinating.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBokeh wrote:

The Series 1 version, was built by Tokina, per, Vivitar specs. There is also a non series 1 version, usually built by Komine.

Kiron Kid-MrVivSeries1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As most of you know, I too, am a huge fan of the early Seris 1 models. I own and use just about all of them.

Russ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Keep 'em coming, guys! I'm another guy with a soft spot for the Vivitar S1 line. My favorite for years, and a lens I took thousands of slides with, was the S1 28-90mm f/2.8-3.5, which I bought back in about 1984. Currently I own only two Series 1s -- a 24-48 f/3.8 in Canon FD and a 28-90 f/2.8-3.5 in Nikon F. On my future acquisition list is the 200mm f/3 and the 90-180mm f/4.5 flat field macro.

I'm looking to acquire a 90-180 myself...perhaps after the holidays if I can find one in excellent condition,which shouldn't be to hard to find...I just know it's gonna cost some $$$.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar 90mm f2.5 is one of the cult class lens. It is same as Tokina 90mm f2.5. I saw recently on ebay nearly mint for nikon mount with over $500
http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-AI-Tokina-Macro-90mm-F2-5-Manual-Lens-w-1-1-Tube_W0QQitemZ290373363338QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCamera_Lenses?hash=item439b99e68a

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That right there is nuts. You can pick up the S1 version for around $100 if you look hard enough.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

The Viv S-1 28-90, is my all time favorite lens. I've shot, published and sold a plethora of snaps made with it. I'm still using the one that I purchased new in the mid 80's.

Russ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My children have seemed to permanently borrowed most of my Series 1 & TX prime lens...as long as they don't touch my Nikkor and German lenses,I'm happy as a clam...so perhaps it's time to start looking for some Series 1 and a few TX Vivitars on ebay to give them as a Christmas or birthday gifts and get mine back!...but I'm just happy to see the lenses being used and glad that my children have inherited the photography bug.

Three Vivitar close focus and three macro lenses

Three macro lenses behind the Soligor 130-650

Series 1 24-48,35-85,28-90,Tokina,Komine & Kiron 70-210's

Vivitar 120-600

A couple of big guns...Tokina 1979 built Vivitar 600mm,below,and 1988 built Tokina 800mm,above,with a smattering of Vivitars and four Kiron lens.

A well used and abused Tokina built second version of the Vivitar 500mm f/6.3...the first version was an f/8 500mm.

Kiron 2.8/105mm and a Vivitar 2x macro focusing TC

This Vivitar has seen some serious up close and personal work,the Komine built 2.8/135mm with extension tube and 2x macro focusing TC

Last edited by Boomer Depp on Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:09 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Left to right:
Kiron model, f/3.5
Tokina model, f/3.5
Komine model, f/2.8-4
Kiron 70-210. f/4 with Zoom-lock

Regarding Viv S-1 glass. There are numerous (eight) Series 1, 70-210 lenses. However, for the sake of discussion, we will deal with the first three. The following editions are nothing to seriously consider, so we will concentrate on the first three editions, which are the good one's. The 4th & 5th editions are also 2.8-4 variable aperture model's, but lacking in construction quality (Cosina built). Due to the fact that the third one is a variable aperture lens, (2.8-4) it will be somewhat sharper than a fixed aperture lenses. It is much easier to design and build a quality variable aperture lens.

The first edition was designed by Vivitar (Ellis Betensky of NASA Optics fame), had a hand in it, and it was built by Kiron. (67mm filter) It is a professional caliber lens, with a 1:2 macro feature built into it. It was the first zoom, designed with the aid of computers, that truly rivaled the OEM lenses of the time. That was in "76."

The second edition (my personal favorite) was built by Tokina, per, Vivitars specs. It too, is a fixed 3.5 aperture, but smaller, lighter and sharper. (62mm filter size). I really like it because of the fixed 3.5 aperture which is nice for focusing in dim light and long range flash work. However, not a true macro, 1:4 life size.

The third edition was made by Komine, and like the first two, is very well built. It is a 2.8-4 variable aperture lens, and the sharpest of the bunch. It has 1:2.5 life size macro from 100-210mm's, with a working distance of about two feet. Which can be quite useful. Can you see a discernible difference in slides taken with either one of them? No! Don't get caught up in bench tests. Any of the first three editions will give you professional-publishable images. I really like this lens, and over time, has become my favorite of the line.

Personally, I recommend the second or third edition of the line. I have and use all three of the first editions, and can highly recommend any one of them. Superb optics and construction.

Also, the Kiron 70-210 f/4, is a splendid performer.

Russ (Kiron Kid & MrVivSeries1)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always good to look stylish. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another ad for your information.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

****The Viv S-1 28-90, is my all time favorite lens***

..and my Viv 28-85 by Kobori is very good. It would be interesting in a shoot out between the two.
Once the old MF primes start reaching silly prices because of the supply drying up, joe public photographer will turn to old MF zooms and the interest will grow.

When I read of advances in cameras in mobile phones or cheap P&S, I think "great the guy is less likely to buy a digital camera that can use old lenses"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ wrote:
As most of you know, I too, am a huge fan of the early Seris 1 models. I own and use just about all of them.

Russ

NICE!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An earlier version of the one Nesster posted:

Now: I wonder if there can be a joint project documenting the Series 1 lenses broken down to generations?