Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

List all Meyer Trioplan / Primoplan etc.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: List all Meyer Trioplan / Primoplan etc. Reply with quote

Hi all!

I'm now in love with the Meyer bokeh beasts and am starting my acquisition process

I already have the trioplan since awhile and am looking for info on similar lenses by Meyer Optik.

M39 / M42 / LTM / other mount types are all welcome

Greatly appreciate if you could share your knowledge, links to pictures will add even more value to the thread

If a similar thread already exists, do link here

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best lists is on this site itself. Smile Not complete, but comprehensive already:
http://www.mflenses.com/meyer-optik-goerlitz-lens-list.html

More detailled info on Exakta Meyers:
http://photobutmore.de/exakta/meyer/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Trioplan triplet appeared first in 1914 and traditionaly is considered that Roeschlein was the designer involved in computing it. Trioplans were first produced as LF or folder lenses as f/6.3, f/4.5, f/3.8 and f/3. The ancestors of post-WWII 100mm f/2.8 Trioplans were Cine Trioplans and Portrait Trioplans, both f/3, produced after 1925.

Some 2 years ago I needed a Compur1 shutter and got one with a lens attached for 10$ from ebay. Seller didn’t say what lens was on it and, as I only needed the shutter, I didn’t asked him. When it arrived I was surprised to see that the lens was a Trioplan 100mm f /3, the smallest of the old uncoated Portrait Trioplans. Lens Vade Mecum explains : “…these are listed as Portrait Trioplan, but they were a sharp lens and were actually also used as a fast lens on many press and reflex cameras…”. Quite a find considering that Cine Trioplans of the same era are selling now with 1200$ on ebay.
I made some tests and it already has all the character of the post-WWII Trioplans. A lovely lens. I am now in the process of adapting it to my Nex.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meyer Primotar 3.5/135, Oreston 1.8/50, 2.8/135 and 2.8/100 all have very interesting bokeh, I like the Primotar 3.5/135 a lot for it's bokeh. The Primotar 3.5/50 and Primagon 4.5/35 are also great lenses, very sharp at all apertures, they share the rich Meyer colours and bokeh. I have samples from them all on the NEX if you'd like to see any. I have technically better lenses but I kept the Meyers due to their wonderful character.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what you mean by "similar" - similar focal length? Speed? Rendering?

Meyer lenses typically all have a somewhat similar "look" in terms of rendering, although the automatic lenses have fewer diaphragm blades than the presets which can affect highlights.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Meyer lenses and will soon take delivery of a Primotar 80/3.5 with P6 mount. I love my Lydith, like my Orestor 135/2.8, love the Orestegor 300/4, and sold my Orestegor 200/4. I found that Flicker has a nice feature for displaying pictures based on keywords. In this case it's Primotar, but you can change that in the url to whatever.
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/tags/primotar/interesting/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Domiron 2/50mm has crazy bokeh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

From one Meyer's lens in particular - trioplan 2.8/100 - I need information regarding its variants (mount, nr blades, "red v")...
-Anyone have this input?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Meyer Trioplan 100 very much - it produce those images that get most positive comments.
Because of this I started thinking about a "backup" lens. But normal prices are to high, but I found out that Meyer Diaplan 100 and Pentacon AV 100 projection-lenses are about same regarding the glass.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Meyer ORESTOR 2,8/100mm Reply with quote

I have seen an actual MTF measurement of the very compact 100mm ORESTOR. Based on its early birth at 1966, it must not optical hide behind the comparable modern lenses! I am using the ORESTOR successfully on my Contax RTSIII, Contax AX, and Canon 5DMkII!