Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sunny days in Napoli
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Sunny days in Napoli Reply with quote

I came to spend christmas holidays here in Napoli at my SO's parents home.
After taking a couple of days to recover from all the food we ate on christmas lunch, we discovered the weather was simply incredible (especially if compared with what we had up at the north when we left), with sunny afternoons and temperatures around 20°C.
So we gathered our energies and went out for a walk.

A view of the former area of Italsider/Ilva plant, from Posillipo hill. The plant was closed in the eighties, and since then this area is waiting to be decontaminated and used for something else (MC Mir 20M)

An abandoned building from the same area (Super-Takumar 1.9/85)

Giacomo Leopardi's (one of the most famous and beloved italian poets ever) grave, in Parco Vergiliano at Piedigrotta, near Mergellina station (MC Mir 20M)

Another view of Parco Vergiliano. The building just right of the center is Virgilio's grave. Virgilio (Publius Vergilius Maro) was a famous poet of the early roman empire. He wrote many things, among which "Aeneis" needs to be remembered. It is an epic poem that links the origins of Rome to the homeric poems. Also, he is the guide to Dante Alighieri's visit to the hereafter in the Divine Comedy. (MC Mir 20M)

A view of Napoli gulf from Parco Vergiliano The mountain on the right, in the background, is the Vesuvius. (CZJ Pancolar 1.8/50)

Napoli's marina. A thing I really love about this city is the way it hangs on all the hills, and this pictures shows it quite well, in my opinion (MC Mir 24 N)

This is Castel Dell' Ovo. It is built on a small island (Megaride) just in front of the city center. This island was inhabited from colons from Rhodes that established here an emporium. Probably these colons were the original founders of Napoli.
The name Castel Dell' Ovo means "Castle of the egg", and there's a legend with an egg about it, but I just can't remember
On the background, the Vesuvius. (Super-Takumar 1.9/85)

The opposite end of Napoli's Gulf at sunset. (MC Mir 20M)

the last two pictures were shot at iso 200, and got a little bit too noisy during jpeg conversion, I don't know exactly why.
All images are slightly pp'ed: contrast, a little sharpening, some color shift.
I hope to update this thread in the next days, if I visit some more interesting places.

Last edited by Aanything on Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks and very interesting, but I wouldn't like to live near that volcano after what happened to Pompeii and Herculaneum.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Thanks and very interesting, but I wouldn't like to live near that volcano after what happened to Pompeii and Herculaneum.

I agree: living near an active volcano must be scary (even if it is quiet since 1944).
But the impressive fact is that around 700.000 people live in areas that would eventually be interested by an eruption.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely images all, now I have to seek out more information on the Mir lens. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerris2 wrote:
Lovely images all, now I have to seek out more information on the Mir lens. Smile

Thanks!
The Mir 20/3.5 is a lens I really like. It's big, heavy, a bit clunky and it suffers from flare, but I love the way it looks and performs. Especially since I bought it cheap and knowing nothing about it.
Afaik there are two versions of it, the one I have is this one http://www.lenstip.com/aparaty_image/3238_mir-20m-mc.jpg and from what I read it's better than the other one, that looks different.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the #2, like the feeling (I often like abandonned things Very Happy )

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamma Mia! Laughing 20C that is give energy indeed, great series! May first one form Napoli on forum at least I not remember to any.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:
I really like the #2, like the feeling (I often like abandonned things Very Happy )

Thanks. I have a passion too for collapsing buildings and abandoned things in general. The whole area is full with such buildings and giant machines, too bad it isn't accessible for more shots.

Attila wrote:
Mamma Mia! Laughing 20C that is give energy indeed, great series! May first one form Napoli on forum at least I not remember to any.

Thanks Attila.
The city is beautiful and has an incredible offer of photographic opportunities both for his peculiar geography and his ancient history. I hope to be able to show the most important and peculiar sights soon, on my next visit.