Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Return to 1945s steam - Vivitar 85/1.8 preset
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Return to 1945s steam - Vivitar 85/1.8 preset Reply with quote

We visited the Watercress Steam Line in Hampshire today, which is a steam line purchased and brought back into use after British Rail decided to stop running commercial services back in 1973 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watercress_Line

Today was a special reconstruction of 1945, and all shots in this post were taken with the old and rare Vivitar 85mm f/1.8 preset model Smile

Vivitar 85/1.8 portrait by <<BackToTheFuture>>, on Flickr

IMG_0463.jpg by <<BackToTheFuture>>, on Flickr

Watercress 1945 2 by <<BackToTheFuture>>, on Flickr

Watercress 1945 3 by <<BackToTheFuture>>, on Flickr

Watercress 1945 4 by <<BackToTheFuture>>, on Flickr

Watercress 1945 5 by <<BackToTheFuture>>, on Flickr

Watercress 1945 6 by <<BackToTheFuture>>, on Flickr

Watercress 1945 7 by <<BackToTheFuture>>, on Flickr

Watercress 1945 8 by <<BackToTheFuture>>, on Flickr

Watercress 1945 9 by <<BackToTheFuture>>, on Flickr

Watercress 1945 10 by <<BackToTheFuture>>, on Flickr

Watercress 1945 11 by <<BackToTheFuture>>, on Flickr

Watercress 1945 12 by <<BackToTheFuture>>, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good...being an old fart I remember steam trains. clothes etc in the 40s....... Cool

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Very good...being an old fart I remember steam trains. clothes etc in the 40s....... Cool

Haha! I have to say, these old steam trains are remarkably smooth Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole series is very nice indeed! I cannot decide which of the pictures I like best.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What - no rain?
The line isn't under water?
Lovely set.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys Smile There was a bit of rain, but not enough to stop these wonderful old trains. Unlike the modern ones Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb images Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice young lady can 'sell' everything #1 looks best to me, excellent capture.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

graham, is it me or is this lens really incredible??!! really, im not sure ive seen better portrait lens shots. the first of your wife just blows me away for the detail, color and bokeh. can you post a picture, opinion and some lens info at your leisure?
tony

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely stunning series. How on earth do people keep that stuff? I really love the steam trains - takes me back to Clapham Junction in the 40's Embarassed

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent series as usual. I think that I would have preferred film over digital here though - period feeling Wink
Are those people in #5 dancing one-step? Smile
#11 is the best one in my opinion, it looks like a scene from a movie.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
A nice young lady can 'sell' everything #1 looks best to me, excellent capture.

+1 another great series.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great set, love the period clothes and the steam train especially.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great series and for sure a great lens! My fav is #1 & #8, two nice shots with lovely details and some great pop! I like also #5, just a shame the "modern" car on the background Rolling Eyes ....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
graham, is it me or is this lens really incredible??!! really, im not sure ive seen better portrait lens shots. the first of your wife just blows me away for the detail, color and bokeh. can you post a picture, opinion and some lens info at your leisure?
tony

Hi Tony, this is a really interesting lens as there aren't many examples about. It's a preset model from a line which all looked very similar. I previously owned the 135/3.5 (which was not impressive) and the 300/5.6 which had wonderful bokeh but suffered badly from flare and was soft until stopped down to f/8. But...the 300mm had some pop!

This 85mm lens lacks contrast compared to more modern designs, and I needed to increase the blacks on the shots here as a result. I think most of the shots here were taken ay f/2.8 and some possibly at f/4. It was a bit of risk taking it to this event, but I'm really pleased with the results Smile

Here's an earlier post:

http://forum.mflenses.com/vivitar-85-1-8-t-mount-samples-t16541.html

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good series. I like the candids in particular.