Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Question about Zenzanon Lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Question about Zenzanon Lenses Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well medium format lenses don't have to be as good as 35mm lenses because of the muscle of a bigger negative, but this might not be correct for the top lenses from Hasselblad and Rollei Question . But I know the ETRs 75mm and 150mm f3.5 are very good lenses and yet to try the 50mm.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day - this is a real trip down amnesia lane - I saw hundreds of images created by Bronica equipment that showed excellent IQ.
Professionals who used their equipment hard often found that the Bronica cameras were prone to breakdown before others Mamiya, Rollei, Hasselblad Pentax 67etc.
The value for money/reliability/IQ equation was often won by the Mamiya RB/Rz-67's as far as I could see.
I never heard a bad word about Bronica optics, I think it was the cameras that had the less than stellar reputation and this is probably reflected in all things Bronica today as far as prices go.
The best value medium format optics around at the moment - leaving Bronica out of it - are Pentax 67 and Mamiya 645 lenses IMHO.
And they don't disappoint.
OH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too never heard bad things about Zenza Bronica:
They started with Nikkor lenses, then built their own lens line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronica

Bronicas were always much bigger than Hassis, not the easiest to use for street photography.....

Last edited by duckrider on Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:40 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:
...was wondering how they compare to the other Zeiss lines?

As far, as I know, there were never Zeiss-lenses built for Bronica!

Do You mix them up with Zeiss for Rolleiflex???

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:
Hmmm I have read that there were issues with the Cameras and that - according to internet rumor - specifically the backs were the weak part.

I have been looking at the SQ lenses which are a nice range and I was wondering how they compare to the other Zeiss lines?

Most of them are today dirt cheap. When they were new the prices were quite in line with the other Zeiss lenses at the time?

It would be informative for someone who has used them with adapter on say Canon/Nikon/Pentax to comment.
There are no infinity issues of course and I expect that they will perform excellently.
I can only speak for some Pentax 67 and Mamiya 645 lenses with adapters - and they are truly excellent in the normal (80mm) to mid tele (c-200mm) range. Above 200mm in Pentax 67 a different and expensive adapter is needed, and the longer 645 lenses are a bit more expensive as well. Medium format wide angles from say 35-55mm are a waste of time as there are as good or better in the normal 35mm selections available - and they are less cumbersome.
From what I have seen, the prices of Bronica, Pentax67 and Mamiya 645 used lenses are comparable.
OH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duckrider wrote:
Me too never heard bad things about Zenza Bronica:
They started with Nikkor lenses, then built their own lens line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronica

Bronicas were always much bigger than Hassis, not the easiest to use for street photography.....

It can be used for easy street shots with AE II prism set for semi auto or manual exposure, and speed grip...here is mine with a Canon T90 and Olympus for comparison:-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bronica lenses are nothing to do with Zeiss.

There was one instance of a Zeiss lens being available for Bronica and it was when the CZJ Biometar 2.8/80 was available during the period when Bronica were establishing their own production to replace the Nikon and Komura supplied lenses they had previously used.

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:
Edit: Maybe they only supplied glas?

Ah, no: Zeiss did never supply glass, they get glass delivered by Schott-Mainz, a part of Carl Zeiss foundation.
http://www.schott.com/advanced_optics/english/products/optical-materials/optical-glass/optical-glass/index.html
There might be a mistake in Kadlubek's catalogue....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:
Maybe there is indeed an error?

But while digging around I found probably one answer to my question:

From a website describing to use them with a chipped adapter on EOS:
Quote:
The Zenzanon lenses handle like any other manual focus lenses apart from the inconvenience that the aperture is tripped by the Bronica SQ lens coupling. For all apertures other than fully open, the aperture tab on the lens must therefore be operated manually during exposure.

So it does seem to be indeed a handling issue with adapters.

But all manual lenses must be used in the same way. An adapter probably has a pin or something to let you stop down the lens.

If you are using one on your Canon (FF or APS sensor) you are using only the sweet spot so you ought to have super shots.

I have seen Bronica 80mm lenses for less than £40 in shops. Thats Bronica branded, not Nikkor. So they are cheap.

I also understand there were more than one different mounts for the Bronica so make sure you get the right adapter.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:
the way I understand the quote there is a little switch on the lens to control depth of field.
When you use it with an adapter the automatic aperture does not work, so you have to keep the depth of field switch pressed all the time. (during exposure)

That is awkward.

Work around would be to superglue it into position. But I am not sure I am up for that kind of solution.

Then it might be indeed better to stick with the lenses that work.

Is it possible to close the automatic pin and wedge it into position? then the aperture will open and close as you change it. I did this with my Minolta A mount lenses when I had a broken adapter.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited