Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

"Hybrid", 3rd version of Super Takumar f1.4/50mm?!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peterqd, why not sure?

Peter Spotmatic, congrats, really looks like new!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andreas! And here are my findings re: the yellowing. As you can see my V2's (S-M-C and Super) are definitely yellow while the 8-element Super-Takumar is completely clear. Also note that the S-M-C is slightly less yellow, so I'd say that age (combined with radiation?) indeed plays a role here.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
Peterqd, why not sure?

Well, your discovery of the hybrid and the position of its IR mark gave me some doubts. But looking again, the white mark is over the number 4, not the IR mark, so I feel more sure it's an 8-element now. Smile
(Peter's confirmation helped a lot too!)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yes, the lens linked definitely looks like a "genuine" 8 element, and in great condition!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend weighing the lenses.
I have six 8-element Super-Takumars which all weigh greater than 240g.
I have six 7-element Super-Takumars which all weigh less than 240g.
The other thing to check is the contour of the rear of the lens, and that "hybrid" matches the 7-element, not the 8-element.

Edit: 2021-11-19. I bought a similar lens earlier this year and I can confirm that, based on its weight and radioactivity as well as physical appearance, it is definitely a 7-element, but with the colors of those two lines reversed. I see no evidence that it was done after the lens left the factory, so I conclude that it left the factory that way. The aperture switch also has no number stamped on it.

Edit: 2022-09-24. Updated lens counts after buying a few more.

Last edited by Dustylens on Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:37 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
themoleman342 wrote:
What are the serial numbers? That may give some clues.

the 8 element has serial number 1585445,
the "hybrid" 1591478,
and the 7 element 3870363

https://takumarguide.weebly.com/1--14--50-358-8-element.html and https://takumarguide.weebly.com/1--14--50-37800.html serial numbers indicate the production batches transitioned from the 8-element to the 7-element -- this hybrid lens has a serial number supposedly the last of an 8-element batch, only three short of the next batch which were 7-element.

Could be the 7-element production batch flowed into the 8-element assembly line before the 8-element dof scales were used up.

Common practice? See "Just in Time History" at https://takumarguide.weebly.com/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent thread!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

Could be the 7-element production batch flowed into the 8-element assembly line before the 8-element dof scales were used up.

It's a mis-painted 7-element DOF scale, not an 8-element DOF scale.
Maybe they just hadn't remembered to switch the paint between batches.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. The 4's are always the same distance from the diamond. If the white dash were accurate for f4 there would be an imbalance in the DOF scale. The painter didn't get the memo Wink.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
2 versions of Super Takumar f1.4/50mm are documented, early 8 element and later 7 element versions.
The early 8 element version can be identified by the red focus mark being to the right of the numeral 4 on the DOF scale, the "A/M switch" saying "A" and "M" instead of "auto/man", f2 stop says "2" instead of just having a dot and it has a protruding rear element.

Look at the lens in the middle, it has the first three signs of the 8 element seen on the right side, but the rear element is that of the later 7 element seen to it's left:

the "hybrid" to the left, the 8 element version to the right:

I suppose that it is a later 7 element version in the body of the early 8 element, a Hybrid manufactured during the transition period? I shall test them against each other to see if I can make out performance differences

From https://takumarguide.weebly.com/1--14--50-358-8-element.html

Quote:
1591063 to 1591478 (7/ 415)#

Quote:
# Occasionally final copies use the depth of field gauge plan from the next model (37800) as the former parts are unavailable.

Dustylens wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

It's a mis-painted 7-element DOF scale, not an 8-element DOF scale.
Maybe they just hadn't remembered to switch the paint between batches.

Yes

D1N0 wrote:
Exactly. The 4's are always the same distance from the diamond. If the white dash were accurate for f4 there would be an imbalance in the DOF scale. The painter didn't get the memo Wink.

Yes