Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Metabones Contax G to NEX adapter - no go
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Metabones Contax G to NEX adapter - no go Reply with quote

Hi all.

I got myself a Contax G Biogon T* for christmas. It is in excellent condition and I decided to splash out on a Metabones adapter since I had gotten the impression that this was heads and shoulders above the Chinese eBay adapters.

The problem is, I cannot get the adapter to work with the lens. At all.

I have watched the Youtube instructions and I know how the Contax G lens mount works with the lock ring.

I can place the lens in the adapter and gently rotate the focusing ring so the lens simply falls into place. At this point I can focus the lens. I can then hold the focusing ring and turn the locking ring clockwise (looking at the lens from the front element) and if I apply a little force I can get it to go to the locked position. The lens now appears to be pretty secure in the adapter, but the focusing ring is stuck.

I have looked at the adapter and to me the nipple that operates the focus looks a bit weird. Isn't it supposed to be centered? The nipple has a ridge on it, which I assume should be dead center in the nipple since that is what it looks like on the lens side. It is not. It is offset to the side.

Can anyone else confirm this or help me out?

Thanks,
Håkan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you are not aligning the lens to the 'nipple' properly.
It is hard in the beginning as there are no red dots on the adapter.

Unlock the adapter and get the lens in one hand, adapter in the other.
Then try to align the focus screw on the lens to the 'nipple' on the adapter.
Turn the lens by holding it to the focus ring. If it gets attached properly the f-stop selector will point to the correct f-stop numbers.
Lock the lens and try to focus it - it should work.

btw on Micro four thirds you cannot attach the adapter to the camera while 28mm Biogon is mounted to the adapter.
It's interesting to see if it works on Nex.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

std wrote:
I guess you are not aligning the lens to the 'nipple' properly.
It is hard in the beginning as there are no red dots on the adapter.

Unlock the adapter and get the lens in one hand, adapter in the other.
Then try to align the focus screw on the lens to the 'nipple' on the adapter.
Turn the lens by holding it to the focus ring. If it gets attached properly the f-stop selector will point to the correct f-stop numbers.
Lock the lens and try to focus it - it should work.

btw on Micro four thirds you cannot attach the adapter to the camera while 28mm Biogon is mounted to the adapter.
It's interesting to see if it works on Nex.

Hi, and thanks for your response!

I can focus the lens before locking it in place so the nipple is properly aligned, and when locked the aperture indexes on the lens line up perfectly. What doesn't work is the actual focusing, which renders the adapter rather useless.

I am aware of the problems with leg clearance on mFT bodies, but the Biogon 28 is supposed to work without problems on the NEX-5N.

Here are a couple of images of the de-centered focusing nipple:

Metabones 2

Metabones 1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply.
I guess if the nipple is decentered you may need to return the adapter.

Here is how mine looks like ( mft-Contax G)

You can see there is a pin (highlighted with the arrow) which locks the lens when you turn the lock knob.

Here where it falls on the lens:

And this is how the lens looks while still not locked:

and after it is locked:

Try to check if your is locking properly. On the 28mm Biogon it is hard to see it because the locking pin is just behind the lens protectors. The pictures i have posted above are with the 35mm Planar.