Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soligor (Tokina) 35/2.8 T4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Soligor (Tokina) 35/2.8 T4 Reply with quote

The last (so far) of the T4/Tokina lenses I have, until I find the elusive 250/4.5.

I've actually had this one for quite a while, and I may have used it more than most of the others, as it is a handy lens. Its a "normal" on my crop-sensor DSLR.

Like all the Soligor T4's, it has the interchangable T4 mount, the curious double aperture scale, the chunky build and solid construction of all its line. It seems that this one was not sold by so many vendors as the more popular lenses in the line, as it is less common than the 28, 135, and the ubiquitous 90-230.

As for performance, I always found it adequate but fairly mediocre. It certainly doesn't compare with the Takumar 35/2.5. On the other hand, I have been lucky with it, which is not a rational quality perhaps.

The bird -

crop -

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another outstanding set of pictures. Many thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep an eye on e-bay, Luis. I've seen a couple of 250s show up in the past two months.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Morning !

I have my eye on a Soligor-Tamron 250 pre-set right now.

You've seen the T4 250's recently ?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis

Our goldmine of information. My knowledge of these lenses was zero before you began the introductions. One of the greatest features of this forum

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Good Morning !

I have my eye on a Soligor-Tamron 250 pre-set right now.

You've seen the T4 250's recently ?

I think there's been one each Soligor and Vivitar in the past 60 to 90 days. I've been combing the listings frequently looking for a possible late version of the 300/5.5. If I see another 250 I'll give you a heads up.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Soligor 35/2.8 with M42 mount from one of my senior as a gift with his 30-years-old Pentax camera. Then I seldom use it, since in most case, I would rather stick to the Flek and Mir 24. Maybe I should make a comparison among them Smile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been reusing this lens recently. The previous shots were with a 6mp APS-C sensor on the Pentax K100D, these are with the 12mp Pentax K-x. It seems to me that this is indeed a pretty good lens wide open, at least as far as center sharpness.

However, my copy is not perfectly sharp at infinity because it falls just short of infinity focus. I didn't realize this before because my old camera lacked the resolution to show the problem, and before I took some revealing shots I might have thought that this was just a bad lens at infinity. I am sure it isn't, it just doesn't quite get there. I think I know how to adjust that, I may have a try some day.

This is a danger with old lenses, there may be subtle faults that are unique to your copy, so its not safe to make a general conclusion about the whole type.

Anyway, it is a very nice lens even wide open on my 12mp sensor. A denser sensor may find faults. I think its one of the most worthwhile of the Tokina automatic series (some were made in T4 mount like this, some in fixed mounts, and of course can be found in many brands).

All shots at f/2.8 because I was testing this, some would have been better at smaller apertures of course.

Cardsharp in Chinatown. The fellow with the cigarette is taking bets from the punters while he shuffles his deck. No money changes hands - in public, anyway - as that would be illegal gambling. Very Damon Runyon.

Crop - Infinity focus, but the foreground is sharp while the boat on the horizon isn't. This is typical of all the infinity shots at f/2.8

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis, the double rainbow shot with the bridge is amazing!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis: I don't think they're comiing through as sharp as what you're seeing. Can it be hosting? Also, did you find the elusive 250mm?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be hosting, they are on flickr and thus reduced and massaged for web, so they arent quite my jpgs.
Anyway, 1:1 pixel peeping is fine with this lens.

I did get the 250mm, in fact two of them at one point.