Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Expired film tips?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:54 am    Post subject: Expired film tips? Reply with quote

So I've finally got the chance to shoot some film... Albeit for about the first time properly in 15 years... 😢

To make matters better, I'm also going to be using expired film that's at least a decade out of date and has not been stored amazingly well...

So what I've dug out so far is,

Kodak E100 exp2007 120
Fuji T64 exp 2008 120
Agfa XRS 200 exp 2006 120
Ilford Pan F plus 50 120 (fresh)

So from experience what compensation should I give, if any, for the age of the films?
Rule of thumb etc.
Other than that, anyone with any experience of these films and any tips for them?
I generally know what they are and their characteristic to a degree but not really shot them before.. (did a lot of fuji in the pas5 but not too much else..probably wy my Provia filters in photoshop are my most used tbh.. 😂)

So any advice much appreciated..

I'll be using a Pentacon Six but also messing around with an Agfa Click..
Also if it helps, I'll be shooting a windfarm in fog (hopefully) - hence the t64

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From personal experience with out-dated film, albeit some years ago, I'd be inclined to try a roll of each at manufacturers' recommended settings and hope for the best! If you've got a colour test chart to hand include one frame on each roll to give an idea of what problems you may be up against.

Higher speed colour film (400ASA+) does noticeably degrade over time, but I've been surprised how little apparent degradation was apparent on slower emulsions. Obviously this will depend on how "badly" the film was stored. Fortunately, assuming you'll be digitally scanning the film, any age-induced colour casts can be easily rectified Wink

The Pan F will, of course, be marvellous, as always ... I'm almost jealous!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should give pentaxpete a pm. He might have experience of these films, when out of date.

All I can remember is that slow speed film fares better than high speed, all things being equal. And 'consumer' grade film fares better than 'pro'.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with expired film is rather limited.

Kodak Plus X Pan -- about 20 rolls, expired in 1983, but was frozen until I used it up about 10 years ago. I shot it at box speed. At the time I didn't know any better, else I probably would have tried reducing the effective ISO. What was happening when I developed it was the negatives were thin, although I was still able to recover all the detail. What I did toward the end was, instead of reducing ISO, I increased developing time by about a minute. That helped a lot, rendering negatives with much better density.

Fuji 200 print film, about 5 rolls. This stuff was only a year or so out of date, but I question how it had been stored. Image detail was good, but there was a noticeable brownish yellow color shift. When I loaded the images into my processing software, I was able to apply "fade correction" which totally renovated the images. So all was good there.

Fuji Provia 100 220 medium format, about 10 rolls. This film had been expired for a few years, but it had been frozen. I really like Fuji Provia 100, so I was hopeful it would provide good images. It didn't let me down. The images had taken on a slight purple cast, but this was easily corrected in processing software.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input, will properly respond once I've time.

So far I've been in conversation with a expired film group on Facebook and seen some shots with the e100. Really nice colours with rich reds close to vellvia.

Im also figuring to keep the Pan 50 for some architectural shots once I get the light and my messed up leg is a bit better..

Should mention Ill be using a Flektogon 50/4 on the Pentacon Six..

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have rolls of all that film in my large fridge. I have found you should downrate 'slide film' not as much as 'Print' Film. So for 100 ASA Ektachrome try 64 ASA . The AGFA XRS 200 I have is much older than yours -- I have used it for 'Cross-Processing' and developed in C41 chemicals. I was recently given some outdated Fuji Velvia 100F 120 size and it came out well at 80 ASA.
E6 colour processing has got so expensive lately so I do not use so much as before I use John Salim Photography of Southend-on-Sea, Essex ( No VAT ! ) and he is excellent. I can deliver to his house and my Sister-in-Law lives about 300 meters from him and collects the processed transparencies.
Kodak EPP 100 film
Bottles by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
1999 dated Fuji 64 T film cross-prossed in C41
Fuji 64T B by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
Agfa RS 100 film cross-prossed in C41
XProRS100 05 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
2002 dated Fuji RMS Fim rated 64 ASA in E6
Dogs by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
How about THIS then ? 1970 Dated ILFORD PAN-F in 1956 Rolleiflex E Xenotar and home-processed , rated 32 ASA
1956 Rollei E 2.8 Xenotar Test by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pentaxpete wrote:
I have rolls of all that film in my large fridge. I have found you should downrate 'slide film' not as much as 'Print' Film. So for 100 ASA Ektachrome try 64 ASA . The AGFA XRS 200 I have is much older than yours -- I have used it for 'Cross-Processing' and developed in C41 chemicals. I was recently given some outdated Fuji Velvia 100F 120 size and it came out well at 80 ASA.
E6 colour processing has got so expensive lately so I do not use so much as before I use John Salim Photography of Southend-on-Sea, Essex ( No VAT ! ) and he is excellent. I can deliver to his house and my Sister-in-Law lives about 300 meters from him and collects the processed transparencies.

Thanks! Appreciated! I really need to find a half decent developing place locally (not easy given how rural I am this now tho.. Ughf)

Well the scouting mission turned into an absolute debacle beginning with an aspergers blow up then finally once out I get about 5 mins into walking around the site then I fall on the ankle I sprained a month ago. I can't even begin to.. 😢

I did manage to get some test shots using my dslr before I karked it..

I reckon it'll be a lot better in autumn/winter though given what sun rise is like then. So for reference here's what I WILL be shooting properly at some point.. (all 5Dsr with 24-70 f2.8L)

Given how broken I appear to be I figure for now ill put some film through the Clack amd Pentina ithe meantime - at least they're quite light to carry!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#2 is a cracker. I hope there was no collateral damage from the blow up.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
#2 is a cracker. I hope there was no collateral damage from the blow up.

Thanks. And yes/no. Been a Very quiet week but things have moved forward now. Patience etc.

As for that image, has another look at it and realised its far better 1x1. Did a bit more PP on the version below to compensate for not using physical filters when shooting so the sky's a bit better exposed..

Full size: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48644313456_a1170605a7_o.jpg

Definitely looking forward to getting back there once everything is healed..

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gott23 wrote:

Thanks. And yes/no. Been a Very quiet week but things have moved forward now. Patience etc.

As for that image, ... Did a bit more PP on the version below to compensate for not using physical filters when shooting so the sky's a bit better exposed..

That's good to read. And in terms of your second version - apologies, but I still like the first. Is it because I'm seeing the geometry, and you were going for the mood?

EDIT: Actually looking again, I think I like the 2nd more. Aaaargh!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
Gott23 wrote:

As for that image, ... Did a bit more PP on the version below to compensate for not using physical filters when shooting so the sky's a bit better exposed..

That's good to read. And in terms of your second version - apologies, but I still like the first. Is it because I'm seeing the geometry, and you were going for the mood?

EDIT: Actually looking again, I think I like the 2nd more. Aaaargh!!

🤣

Yeah it was reading your reply when it dawned on me the composition does work on a 1x1,and the 50MP of the 5Dsr means size wise its still pretty "full frame" even with 1/3rd plus cropped. I just figured I'd also give a go at trying to get the contrast up on the clouds a bit via a layer blend change to compensate for the lack of ND grad when shooting.

It might not be the most exciting of landscapes/construction but I figure it's going to be a good place to get to grips with wide angle and landscape composition a bit more. Now I just need to get there in fog! 😂