Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

NEX and Home made microscope
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: NEX and Home made microscope Reply with quote

Just a quick post. In reply to nikond's post (http://forum.mflenses.com/microscopes-and-nex-t56963.html. I present my home made microscope. Which does the job! A fixed 10X objective giving 100x magnification. Enough to see cells, pondlife, spermatozoa (only just) and other interesting stuff.

Just a quick set of photos of it. the tube is an M42 T mount separated and a length of waste pipe glued between. If you do this, glue the whole thing standing up (not you - the pipe) and place a spirit level on the top end to make sure everything is on a plane. Of course it will make an extra-long extension tube. Paint it matt black inside.

I bought a Microscope objective to T mount adapter for about £4 the objective screws into the adapter and in turn screws where the lens would normally live.

On mine I made an M42 to nex adapter using a NEX reversing ring and a threaded M42 lens cap. Registration distance is short as it is meant to be used with my bellows and the microscope. The camera is mounted on a focusing rack. I'm going to buy a better quality one as the focus is a little rough (for this magnification)

I'm no woodworker but the body is made from thin plywood cut to a convenient shape. You need enough space under it to illuminate your subject.

The table has had a piece if plastic card glued onto it so the glass slide will move easily. Two holes were drilled to accept slide clips from my microscope, but you can buy them specially. The distance between mine is exactly the distance as used on normal microscopes as I intend to buy a mechanical stage - this allows you to move your slide about 100ths of a millimetre at a time.

The great thing with the NEX is the flip up screen. You can look at your pond life without breaking your neck. The auto exposure is great too.

I use a remote to trigger the cam with the 2 second delay so any handling vibration will stop.

I'm sure the more skilled handymen amongst you could do better, particularly using metal.

If I bought the important parts: 10xObjective, Adapter & stage clips it would come to about £30

Some measurements for you. These are not critical but are a good guide.

Objective tip to sensor plane: 23cm including all adapters

Stage to base: 12cm. Enough room for a LED lamp or mirror at 45 degrees.

Total Height: 43cm including rubber feet

Stage: 12cm square

Honey jar perfect for holding the light source

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luvvely! I do like these "DIY" posts.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twinquartz wrote:
Luvvely! I do like these "DIY" posts.

thanks!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding! I love DIY stuff like this!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! I did move your post here, due Cafe is not visible for public.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a similar setup, but with HDMI out an 24" monitor for live-view
What do you mean with 100x? I hope not 100:1. Or do you mean a similar view on your monitor than through a microscope at 100x magnification?
You should not use a 10x (10:1) lens at 100:1 - diffraction makes it pointless for an 16MP sensor.

PS: Reversed small format lenses for 8mm film (D-Mount lenses etc.) etc. are working very nice, at least much better than most cheap achromatic 10x microscope lenses I tried. The are plan, about semi-apochromatic and many of them also have a nice-very nice resolution an contrast.
Now I have a Tominon 17/4 macro lens - it's the best I've ever tried, it works even better than much more expensive microscope lense!

Last edited by ForenSeil on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of reversing small format lenses for macrophotography, I conducted a test using a Wollensak 1/2" f/2.5 "D mount" lens reverse mounted onto a lens cap, which was then attached to the front of my Tamron 90mm f/2.5 macro. I posted my results here at the forum. Here's the thread:

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,t,21588.html

This is the same lens as I have:

Click here to see on Ebay

The resulting image was about 7x magnification, so not 10x and not even close to 100x, but as you can see from the images, that old 1/2" Wollensak did a decent job wide open. And I suspect that if I would have stopped it down some, its sharpness would have substantially improved. I'm a bit ashamed to admit that this test is the only time I used that Wollensak lens, but now I've gotten to wondering: what would happen if I mounted the Tamron with Wollensak cap onto a set of bellows . . . might possibly get interesting. Except the distance from the front of the lens (or the reversed rear as the case may be) to the subject can probably be measured in fractions of a millimeter.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
I'm using a similar setup, but with HDMI out an 24" monitor for live-view
What do you mean with 100x? I hope not 100:1. Or do you mean a similar view on your monitor than through a microscope at 100x magnification?
You should not use a 10x (10:1) lens at 100:1 - diffraction makes it pointless for an 16MP sensor.

PS: Reversed small format lenses for 8mm film (D-Mount lenses etc.) etc. are working very nice, at least much better than most cheap achromatic 10x microscope lenses I tried. The are plan, about semi-apochromatic and many of them also have a nice-very nice resolution an contrast.
Now I have a Tominon 17/4 macro lens - it's the best I've ever tried, it works even better than much more expensive microscope lense!

Ok I'll explain. what I've done. I'm not too good on scientific terms.

My microscope has a 10x objective and a 10x ocular = 100x magnification as you view I had a 1mm graticule in my eyepiece so I could measure it exactly (broken now - and anyway useless when used without eyepiece).

With a camera pointing through the eyepiece it is still 100x magnification regardless of sensor/film size -and the focal length of the lens being equivalent to 50mm on a 35mm camera looking at it through the eyepiece of the camera

If you take the eyepiece out and put your camera body directly onto the focusing tube. The image in the viewfinder is approximately the same size as with the eyepiece, in my opinion, the same magnification. again when looking at it through the eyepiece of the cameraThe tube here is exactly the same length when the adapters are combined. The 10x objective becomes effectively a short focus lens on a long extension tube.

I dunno about diffraction but I am getting shutter times of 1/15th to 1/20th with ISO 400 and video is great. Better in fact. Focus is the big problem, those macro rails are quite coarse and the shutter on the NEX can cause shake.

I have a couple of D-mount lenses on my Bolex, I've dabbled with macro with them but not thought of using them as a substitute for my microscope lens.

I'm not interested in buying and using special lenses to achieve what I've done. Diffraction is not an issue with the wide aperture objective. The 9mm f1.9 Yvar is smaller even wide open.

Remember my standard 'scope will not support the weight of my Nikon so this project was built with the Nikon in mind.

The creature on the screen of my NEX is a tiny tiny speck. 100x is about right. I'll post some videos of pond life if someone can tell me how to do it on this forum.

Thanks for your comments anyway ForenSeil you've given me food for thought!

edit: ref your original post the c mount idea looks good, if the NEX doesn't push down the focusing tube. Thanks

cooltouch wrote:
Outstanding! I love DIY stuff like this!

Cheers Michael I too love stuff like this. Things to do when the weather's bad or at night between shifts.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have Tominon 17mm macro lens, and it is not as good as an affordable 10X APO microscope objective from Edmund Optics. F4 at such magnification already produces too much diffraction for high-density sensors...