Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Full Frame Nikon for $2000--Here We Go!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Full Frame Nikon for $2000--Here We Go! Reply with quote

ive never used 'em, but nikon just announced the full frame D600--sized like a D7000--priced at $2000usd! are you kidding me! take that sony! i tell ya', this is a great time to be a digital camera fan--meaningful choices expanding virtually every day; prices coming down, down, down.
tony

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why 'take that Sony'

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have many pentax glasses, still scanning film and no digital FF body Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
I have many pentax glasses, still scanning film and no digital FF body Crying or Very sad

Looks like it's going to be next spring, all good things come to those that wait Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope that canon will also - finally - release the cheap FF body.. they say its gonna be called 6D
Just because I cant afford 5Dmk3, and 5Dmk2 is also 2,000$ for a four year old camerajust silly. its like camera's have a steady value for all its lifetime, like nothing else that i can think of....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tervueren wrote:
Why 'take that Sony'

Maybe because Sony announced its FF one day ago and the price is $2800 and it is highly probable both are using the same sensor.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting news. For many years, users ask Nikon for A d400... Maybe this one, you will the model they were asking for ?...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my query is how much bigger is this camera than the fuji xpro1? reason being, if i could get the benefits of FF and not sacrifice too much 'heft', for another couple hundred bucks, thats pretty powerful...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it incredible that in the UK the price is £2000.00 Shocked This represents very poor value compared to a £1500.00 EOS 5D MK II or £1250.00 if you buy one on the grey market. Or £2100.00 for a D800. Nikon have a weird marketing strategy in the UK!

The biggest issue for manual lens users is that only Nikon mount lenses can be used (excluding medium format) on it without modification to the lens mounts (expensive) and the fact that non-ai lenses can't be used without butchering them first.

I bet it performs well though Smile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought you could use old fuji lenses, m42 and leica R's with simple third party adapters--no?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
i thought you could use old fuji lenses, m42 and leica R's with simple third party adapters--no?

You can, but only for macro. You can get adapters with glass elements to correct the lens for infinity focus, but they are mild teleconverters and degrade image quality.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, true for m42. but i just saw a 'pro' adapter on ebay to allow full use of leica R on nikon. you unscrew the leica mount and replace it with this adapter...totally reversible.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
I find it incredible that in the UK the price is £2000.00 Shocked

For camera manufacturers US$2000,- = €2000,- = £2000,-!
This is very often the case.

Sometimes those things get even worse. You can get an iPhone 5 in the States for US$399,-.
Here in Germany it's €700,-!!

Shocked

Or, have a look at the prices of Adobe products...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
I find it incredible that in the UK the price is £2000.00 Shocked This represents very poor value compared to a £1500.00 EOS 5D MK II or £1250.00 if you buy one on the grey market. Or £2100.00 for a D800. Nikon have a weird marketing strategy in the UK!

Couldn't agree more, Nikon haven't thought this through. Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
yeah, true for m42. but i just saw a 'pro' adapter on ebay to allow full use of leica R on nikon. you unscrew the leica mount and replace it with this adapter...totally reversible.

Absolutely, it's the same for Sony. If you don't mind taking expensive lenses to bits Wink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Sometimes those things get even worse. You can get an iPhone 5 in the States for US$399,-.
Here in Germany it's €700,-!!

Keep in mind that is subsidized cost in the US, you only get that with a 2 year contract, an unlocked one that does not require a contract starts at $649. Still a big difference in price, but not as big. So many Americans get sucked into the contract scam, they think that the little upfront cost of the phone is all they are paying for the phone.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:

I whole-heartedly agree. The positioning is odd, and the price point should IMHO be 1500-1600 EUR. Suggested retail price in Finland is 2300 EUR (incl. VAT of 23%) but it will likely sell for 2000 EUR once it hits the street. (Suggested retail for D4 here is 6299e and it sells for 5499e)

ManualFocus-G wrote:
The biggest issue for manual lens users is that only Nikon mount lenses can be used (excluding medium format) on it without modification to the lens mounts (expensive) and the fact that non-ai lenses can't be used without butchering them first.

I whole-heartedly disagree - "butchering" equals non-reversible modification and that's not true as Nikon provided factory Ai conversion kits which anyone with a small screw-driver can do (just unscrew the old aperture ring, replace with new and voilà). Apart from a few rare lenses, factory Ai kits are available on eBay for peanuts.

Ai conversion http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/nikonfmount/lens2.htm

Given that up to this day more than 75 million Nikkor lenses and likely an even greater number of 3rd party lenses for Nikon mount have been manufactured, I wouldn't exactly call Nikons limited for manual focus lens experimenters... For example; all manufacturers combined, M42 screw mount lens production volumes are inferior to F-mount, something that anyone capable of an eBay search can verify.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, by definition, if one is 'limited' to using only nikon mf lenses, then mf lens use on a nikon is in fact limited. sheer number of nikon mf lenses is irrelevent. it is 'limiting' to have to use only nikon. tbh, to me, thats no fun at all. its like saying to someone 'you can only drive toyotas for the rest of your life' then telling them that is not really limiting because toyota makes so many diffferent cars! that wouldnt be fun either.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
[Apart from a few rare lenses, factory Ai kits are available on eBay for peanuts.

This comment surprises me, as I can't see many at all...just a few in the States e.g. 135/3.5, 80-200/4.5, 43-86/3.5, 6/2.8.

Nikons are great cameras and have superb sensors, but they DO restrict the number of lenses us nutters can mess around with easily Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has never taken me more than 1 day to find an Ai conversion kit for any of the pre-Ai lenses I've purchased. Maybe I've been extremely lucky and they all sold out globally last summer? My local repairman in Helsinki has them in crates, and Helsinki isn't logistically speaking exactly the center of the Camera World. The Chinese are also very skilled in mill&drilling replicas of the original (reversible) factory conversion kits, something that anyone who has visited Hong Kong's obscure camera market can attest to.

A common misperception seems to be that you have to use Nikon lenses on your Nikon SLR/DSLR. Of lens manufacturers, Carl Zeiss, Voigtländer, Schneider, Angénieux, Samyang, Sigma, Tokina, Tamron, Hartblei, Kiev-Arsenal, Krasno whatever KMZ and Vivitar (I might have forgotten some others) all have made and most still make lenses for F-mount. F-mount cameras include models from Nikon, Fujifilm, Sinar, Kenko and Horseman. The fact that F-mount has essentially retained lens backwards compatibility 1959 to present day, the number of lens manufacturers supporting it as well as the historical production volumes... F-mount outnumbers in variety and production volumes any other lens mount ever manufactured.

With this background, if you still consider your choice of manual focus lenses for Nikon SLR/DSLR limited... then there is nothing I can add that would improve discussion here.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with Nikon D50 and sold it due limited lens variety, I bought Olympus E-1 , it was whole new world vs Nikon. Later I bought m4/3 it was even better. Nikon is okay for those people who are not curious , happy to use excellent lenses what are available to Nikon. With all my respect of Nikon , longest (or almost) register distance of all 35mm SLR wasn't a smart choice. If I ever buy again SLR camera Canon have biggest chance due best compatibility with old manual focus lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good thing about having a Nikon is that you dong have to fsk around with others lenes. I thought ppl bought Nikon so they could use Nikon lenses Razz

Shit on a FF like that, a Nikon 50 and a 138ish would just about see me turf my collection*

*just about.. only the ones that don't smell pretty.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tromboads wrote:
I thought ppl bought Nikon so they could use Nikon lenses Razz

That's one of the reasons.

Quote:
Shit on a FF like that, a Nikon 50 and a 138ish would just about see me turf my collection

I have a 35 and an 85 on a Nikon crop and it's a useful set.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the D600 nearly a week now, and I can tell you it's a fantastic camera. My main problem has been dealing with the difference in depth of field between it and my D300. And some of the buttons are in different places!

The argument over lenses seems a little silly. Nikon made a bunch of manual focus lenses. I have more than 20 of them -- I don't have TIME to use them all, let alone dip into the pool of all the other manufacturers.

By all means, if you want to use other lenses, go for one of the 4/3 cameras, many of which are fantastic. Remember, it's not about the bike (or the camera body).

I'm satisfied with my lens choices now -- I think it'll take me a long time to exhaust the possibilities of the lenses I have now with the D600.

Last edited by gaeger on Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really like the look of that photo. i cant pit my finger on it, and actually the co,ors look somewhat muted on my monitor, but the overall look is so much more pleasing than most crop cams.

on lenses, really it is totally understandable that on a forum devoted to the use of all sorts of legacy glass, 'restricting' any of us to 'only' zeiss or 'only' nikon is a 'hardship' not shared by the overwhelming majority of the photographic community. but nonetheless i do feel that way...i guess thats why i,m on this forum and not the canon or nikon forums!
tony