Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Few boring pictures with Zenitar ME1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Few boring pictures with Zenitar ME1 Reply with quote

I have not seen any example pictures of this lens on MFlenses, except for brief discussion in these two topics: The Zenitar that doesn't exist and Finally got a Zenitar 1.7/50. Since I have one, and tried it out, I decided to share some of my test shots with You here.

Some of You have seen these pictures elsewhere, but I though it might be useful to share them with other members and finally contribute something useful to the forum.

First test shots exploring the bokeh of this lens. Was it successful - it is for You to decide

In the church

Window ornament

This lens is not to everyone's taste, that is for sure. May be for the lowers of Cubism?
Alex

Last edited by Alex H on Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:03 pm; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's fabulous! Thanks for sharing, I love the square bokeh Surprised

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Few boring pictures with Zenitar ME-1 Reply with quote

Alex H wrote:
I have not seen any example pictures of this lens on MFlenses, except for brief discussion in these two topics: The Zenitar that doesn't exist and Finally got a Zenitar 1.7/50.

It made a brief appearance a few years ago.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Few boring pictures with Zenitar ME1 Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
Alex H wrote:
I have not seen any example pictures of this lens on MFlenses, except for brief discussion in these two topics: The Zenitar that doesn't exist and Finally got a Zenitar 1.7/50.

It made a brief appearance a few years ago.

Sorry. I see why it did not show up in my searches. I was searching for "ME-1", which is wrong. I will correct my post accordingly.

Alex

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking a while for one. Great find!

I like the last picture.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say very nice color and use of the bokeh in your shots.
You succeeded in choosing good subjects in combination with the bokeh in my view Smile .
Also indeed the two bladed aperture is awesome Cool .

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
I think it's fabulous! Thanks for sharing, I love the square bokeh Surprised

+1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, very cool bokeh! I like it.

Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will probably be the only one that hates the bokeh. It looks quite horrid.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

I don't think You are the only one who hates it. You are just the first one to say about it in this thread. Very Happy
Thank You all for Your comments.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

Well I didn't want to be the first one to criticize, but I thought the bokeh looked very "grainy" and not smooth on most of the shots.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

Well I didn't want to be the first one to criticize, but I thought the bokeh looked very "grainy" and not smooth on most of the shots.

This lens has square aperture, so smooth bokeh is only possible with it wide open, but than it will be similar to many other 50mm lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex H wrote:
Excalibur wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

This lens has square aperture, so smooth bokeh is only possible with it wide open, but than it will be similar to many other 50mm lenses.

erm so it's nothing to do with the len's optics Wink and interesting to know about other square apertures lenses .......I know quite a few well known P&S film cameras just have two blades but I've never thought about bokeh with them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Alex H wrote:
Excalibur wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

erm so it's nothing to do with the len's optics Wink and interesting to know about other square apertures lenses .......I know quite a few well known P&S film cameras just have two blades but I've never thought about bokeh with them.

I am not an expert in optics, but it looks to me to be an "ultron" design.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex H wrote:
Excalibur wrote:
Alex H wrote:
Excalibur wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

Well I'm not an expert on optics either and I did use a smiley............but some lenses give different bokeh that is noticeable e.g. Helios lenses with swirly bokeh, and although the aperture must make a difference, I would think less than your Zentar which changes (as you say) from only smooth at wide open.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bokeh reminds of 'The Matrix'.

The forest shot is beautiful. The square bokeh worked really well on those vivid colors.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Well I'm not an expert on optics either and I did use a smiley............but some lenses give different bokeh that is noticeable e.g. Helios lenses with swirly bokeh, and although the aperture must make a difference, I would think less than your Zentar which changes (as you say) from only smooth at wide open.

I agree with You here. The swirly bokeh is the result of optical design, but the out-of-focus highlights are also influenced by the shape of the diafragm. Like star-shaped bokeh of Volna and some other lenses. I will take some pictures wide open next time and post them here for comparison.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm the bokeh is very unique, but I like it Smile
I guess on fullformat/35mm film the slightly unnatural background will produce a strong 3D pop Smile

Excalibur wrote:
Alex H wrote:
Excalibur wrote:
Alex H wrote:
Excalibur wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

I can understand that I looks somehow a little like ultron.
But except the squares in the bokeh (which are caused by the aperture design) it seems to render also very similar to the Zenitar M2s 50/2, which is also a further devoloped 58/2 Biotar-derivate as far as I know.

Swirling is also very hard to find with the Zenitar M2s ,and only slightly visible under very special conditions:

Zenitar M2s @F2, APX100, Caffenol-C

With a square aperture it might be even harder to produce this "biotar-effect".

But this is all pointless as long as we don't have diagram of this lens Wink

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Square aperture blades were deliberately made for reproducing printed texts, as it virtually enhances the appearance of sharpness (this was pre-digital, so there was no other way to improve sharpness). Schneider made specific Componon / Componar lenses with square aperture blades for that (I have one - somewhere), used in Grafic + Repro studios (this is where nine came from); I have also seen other lenses there with such aperture blades.

Maybe that Zenitar was also made for that purpose once?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Maybe that Zenitar was also made for that purpose once?

It was already mentioned on this forum once long long ago. Zenitar ME1 was a kit lens for Zenit 18, which has electronic aperture control from the camera body (for M42 mount!). Two bladed diaphragm was designed (see here) in order to make closing and opening of it as simple as possible, without any rotating parts. The camera had other relatively advanced features, such as electro-mechanical vertical shutter with metal blades, wider range of shutter-speeds, etc. It was not very reliable and was discontinued. Some information on this camera here at the bottom of the page and also here.

I have its "simpler brother" Zenit 19, which did not have electronic aperture control and was sold with "regular" Zenitar-M instead. It still works fine. Zenit 19 was once offered as a kit to professionals as "Фотохудожник" (see this picture) with seven lenses and multiple filters, but that was before I got interested in photography.

Alex

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another two pictures from yesterday:

Reflections in the water

It takes a lot of beer for the OOF circles to turn to squares Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

square bokeh???:DDD omg this looks totally awesome. how much for this lens?Razz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one on eBay right now, attached to Zenit 18 (mislabelled as "EM1" instead of "ME1"). I paid 13-teen times less for mine, and I am keeping it Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The square highlights look beautiful on the water!

You can get any shape of bokeh you like with any lens,
http://www.diyphotography.net/diy_create_your_own_bokeh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merry Christmas Zenitar-ME1 style