Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron SP 500mm F8 Mirror Model 55B
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Tamron SP 500mm F8 Mirror Model 55B Reply with quote

Here is the set I received this week :

Dimensions :
Length at infini : 87mm
Diameter : 84mm
Weight : 575g

Here on my 5D (sorry picture with a pone)
Hood extended

Hood retracted

Samples now :
1-

2-

3-

4-

5-

6-

7-

8-

9-

10-

11-

12-

13-

14-

15-

Mo's link with the 500 F mounted on a Pentax.
http://forum.mflenses.com/pentax-mx-and-tamron-55b-sp500-mirror-lens-t35900,highlight,%2Btamron+%2B500+%2Bf8+%2Bpentax.html

I have a question, Moïra.
How do you unmount the hood ? Smile

Last edited by Olivier on Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I unscrewed it from the front of the lens and it sits in the box until I need it. On mine it was in reverse when not in use attached to the lens. Confused
I am wondering did I unscrew the front rim of the lens with the hood attached?? Laughing Still works as it should just not with the hood on.Did you get instructions with your lens?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I unscrewed it from the front of the lens and it sits in the box until I need it. On mine it was in reverse when not in use attached to the lens. Confused
I am wondering did I unscrew the front rim of the lens with the hood attached?? Laughing Still works as it should just not with the hood on.Did you get instructions with your lens?

Yes.
They say that "normal" filter being part of the focusing system, it must be left mounted to have best results.
I'll try to post the pages.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They say that "normal" filter being part of the focusing system

I am confused are you talking about a little filter that sits at the rear of the lens?...or a large filter that sits on the front of the lens?

I am talking about the Hood/shade that you can screw on and off the front of lens,can you not remove yours?

I think you have the hang of this lens...I love the pop in #5...do you adjust the contrast slightly and the brightness when the natural light is a bit dull?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the filter, they're talking about the rear filter.

The hood : at present, I didn't find the way to remove it.

When light is dull, yes I have to improve contrats a bit and adjust the light cursor.
#5 is not Post processed. Wink

Smile

mo wrote:
Quote:
They say that "normal" filter being part of the focusing system

I am confused are you talking about a little filter that sits at the rear of the lens?...or a large filter that sits on the front of the lens?

I am talking about the Hood/shade that you can screw on and off the front of lens,can you not remove yours?

I think you have the hang of this lens...I love the pop in #5...do you adjust the contrast slightly and the brightness when the natural light is a bit dull?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thanks for clearing that up.
Here are a few from today a overcast/humid day with some break of sunlight in between.I was testing the donut ability of this lens and these holey leaves were perfect samples

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Owner's Manual Reply with quote

Olivier,
I just received the exact same set as yours, except I do not have the owners manual. The hood is reversed (so it will fit in the case) but I cannot seem to loosen it to get it off. Do you know the trick?

The previous owner does not recall (he had not used it for some time). I can shoot with it (hoodless) as it is, but I cannot attach the tripod socket attachment (and obviously it will perform much better with the hood attached in the right direction). Smile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That really is horrid bokeh.
Wink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello all
Sometimes that hood on that lens is difficult to remove. When I got mine I dipped a toothpick
in sewing machine oil and carefully dabbed four spots evenly spaced on the threads of the
hood filter ring. Be careful not to use too much and have a rag handy to wipe after loosening.
Hold the hood as close to the filter threads as possible and twist to remove.
The hood is built in such a way that it flexes and increases the friction on the threads if
not held close to where the hood mounts. Another way is to place the lens on its front
on a rubbery grippy surface and turn the lens for a more even tension.
Just to see if I spot any difference without the back filter , I took some images and
could not see any difference but your mileage may vary on that one.
Oh...and Martin ...would bokeh look better if it was spelled bouquet...... Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Owner's Manual Reply with quote

cheekygeek wrote:
Olivier,
I just received the exact same set as yours, except I do not have the owners manual. The hood is reversed (so it will fit in the case) but I cannot seem to loosen it to get it off. Do you know the trick?

The previous owner does not recall (he had not used it for some time). I can shoot with it (hoodless) as it is, but I cannot attach the tripod socket attachment (and obviously it will perform much better with the hood attached in the right direction). Smile

Hi Cheeky,
I just have to pull the hood forward and backward.
I never tried to get it off.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I got a pair of rubber kitchen gloves and was able to unscrew it.

Olivier, would it be possible for you to scan your Owner's Manual? I'd love to see the whole thing and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheekygeek wrote:
Olivier, would it be possible for you to scan your Owner's Manual? I'd love to see the whole thing and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Yes, it is possible.
I'll do it soon. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the 55BB with a mint manual.

Be right back with a scan.

Here's an interlude of shots for the wait

All hand held with no hood or filters (Mine didn't come with any of those Sad )

Edit : Here's the 55BB manual :
https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B8qlSpaYmK3nTUlLTC10SzZzZjQ/edit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Andreq

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the instruction manual scanned as pdf file :

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_ct4eH-yznrMjBxZGZLTTlFejQ/edit

It's better to download the file, then open it in acrobat reader and turn it counterclockwise... Wink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite jealous of the quality coming for your tamrons. I got my 500mm with a delaminated mirror, contrast seems even weaker than some of the shots here.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused Confused why on the index page is Rbelyell credited with being the author of this topic, can anyone else check to make sure i've not drunk to much last night Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FotoPete wrote:
Quite jealous of the quality coming for your tamrons. I got my 500mm with a delaminated mirror, contrast seems even weaker than some of the shots here.

So, it's time to buy another one ! Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tervueren wrote:
Confused Confused why on the index page is Rbelyell credited with being the author of this topic, can anyone else check to make sure i've not drunk to much last night Rolling Eyes

Oh, yes, that's strange. Personaly, I don't mind.
But I sware I'm not Tony and we are not living together. Very Happy