Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

75 Summarit 2.5 version is almost cheap :)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: 75 Summarit 2.5 version is almost cheap :) Reply with quote

I love my summilux, but it's heavy, so I just could not resist:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262360362106?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT"]http://www.ebay.com/itm/262360362106?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

What do users of this lens think? Smile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is indeed. 75mm is too hard for my brain to deal with. I'm constantly wishing it was wider or longer.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that counts as 'cheap' then someone has too much money.

75, is uncommon, but the Fujinon-TV 1.8/75 is a superb lens. Covers APS-C, not sure about FF.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

when Boris Jamchtchik sells something it's normaly the opposite of cheap.. but in this case you can call it a good deal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: 75 Summarit 2.5 version is almost cheap :) Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:

I don't think that you'll find many users of this lens here. Wink

I'm still happy with the CV Color Heliar 75/2.5 and 800 Euro (incl. VAT/excl. shipping) for the Summarit is not really a bargain.

BTW, Sean Reid at ReidReviews tested both the Summarit and Color Heliar and found them to be about equal in optical quality.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive used both the summarit and the voigtlander. certainly, the cv is a very nice lens. the summarit feels better in hand. the focusing ring provides better feedback imo, and the lens overall feels more substantial. i find the summarit colors more rich and more lifelike than the cv. i also find the summarit sharper than the cv from at least 2.5-4. yvmv, thats what makes the world go 'round. for me, while taking nothing away from the cv, i much preferred the summarit. if indeed we 'will not find many who use' it on this forum, that is unfortunate, and hopefully not an indication of mindless prejudice.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive used both the summarit and the voigtlander. certainly, the cv is a very nice lens. the summarit feels better in hand. the focusing ring provides better feedback imo, and the lens overall feels more substantial. i find the summarit colors more rich and more lifelike than the cv. i also find the summarit shaper than the cv from at least 2.5-4. yvmv, thats what makes the world go 'round. for me, while taking nothing away from the cv, i much preferred the summarit. if indeed we 'will not find many who use' it on this forum, that is unfortunate.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

75, is uncommon, but the Fujinon-TV 1.8/75 is a superb lens. Covers APS-C, not sure about FF.

It certainly IS cheap for a 75/2.5 Summarit, probably because Boris has got hold of a batch at "clearance prices" from Leica Camera - the f2.5 model has been replaced by the f2.4 version. The Fujinon TV lens may be absolutely breathtakingly good, but it's utterly useless for we poor souls who've splurged our money on Leica rangefinder cameras Wink

If I weren't looking at a bill for even more than $750 for a set of new spectacles, I'd already have hit the button and bought one. Sad

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 Summarit 2.5 version is almost cheap :) Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
uhoh7 wrote:

BTW, Sean Reid at ReidReviews tested both the Summarit and Color Heliar and found them to be about equal in optical quality.

I have the CV Thomas, but have not been using it much. As noted by those who know the summarit, I expect better color and better sharpness 2.5 to f/4 and possibly beyond.

I have the CV 90/3.5 and Summarit 90 now, and I prefer the Summarit in all things except it's a bit bigger and heavier, though still a nice size. Smile I'm hoping it will be a similar story at 75.

The charts on this lens are interesting and actually pretty unique (they are identical charts 2.5 and 2.4)

Screen Shot 2016-04-02 at 4.04.02 PM by unoh7, on Flickr

When the lens came out, it was tested alot on the M8, where the crop cuts off that last second edge dip, and at 5.6 many declared it was sharper than the 75/2. But the 75/2 shows no such dip at 5.6:

75 Cron 5.6 by unoh7, on Flickr

The 75/2 even out performs the 90/2 APO, and hence is probably the second sharpest Leica M lens after the 50 APO, if not the sharpest.

What I find remarkable is that my old 75 Lux is nearly the equal at 5.6 of the 75/2 and is the equal of the 90/2 APO!

75 Lux by unoh7, on Flickr

If the Lux was not so big I would not have bought this one, as it appears to be right there for landscape work, in fact superior.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 Summarit 2.5 version is almost cheap :) Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:

I have the CV Thomas, but have not been using it much.

Hopefully you'll use your new lens more. Wink
I'll definitely stay with my poor and bad Voigtländer lens. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tedat wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

when Boris Jamchtchik sells something it's normaly the opposite of cheap.. but in this case you can call it a good deal

Laugh 1 Laugh 1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

He did say "almost". Smile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap Leica is meaningless Smile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

meanwhile wrote:
Quote:

He did say "almost". Smile

If you look at the cost of new Sony FE lenses, from Zeiss, many of which have poor quality control, including the 90 and the 85/1.4, this lens is a great value by comparison Smile

@Thomas You know I like those CV lenses. Smile This lens retailed for $2150 on release, sold not a few at full price, and made a very solid reputation. A brand new one for 745 with a two year warranty. Well, it's the best deal on a new modern Leica lens I've ever seen.

Do I think Leica should make a special price on all their lenses for us? Yes, of course. If they had any sense of justice, we would get any lens they make for a hundred bucks a copy Wink

A used CV 75/2.5 now brings 3-400USD, which is widely considered a great value. This is a new lens, better build, better glass, full warranty and higher performance wide open without any doubt. Obviously there are plenty here who would never pay 700USD for any lens, and grit their teeth when the price goes over 20 bucks.

I admire that, and have bought plenty of really cheap lenses myself. But bottomline the market is what it is. Some of us will bit the bullet and spend what it demands for the lens we crave. I respect that frankly just as much Smile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good for you uhoh. i for one am tired of people who know nothing about a persons life circumstances making negative comments about their spending habits--especially on a forum devoted to gear aquisition and discussion. there are many like me, who started out in life with nothing and worked extremely hard and made numerous sacrifices to earn a position where we can enjoy the fruits of our labor. there are many others in a different economic position who choose to continue to sacrifice for their love of photography. mindlessly pissing on those accomplishments/choices seems very petty to me--kinda like someone saying that those who have this pov should spend less time on forums and more time working.

additionally, i saw absolutely no comment saying the cv was a 'bad' or 'poor' lens. quite the contrary, i see every mention of it as a fine lens. intentionally and so obviously mischaracterizing those comments is supposed to do what, somehow make ones choice of the cv 'noble'? make leica owners feel badly? it does neither. news flash: some stuff costs more than other stuff. get over it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:

@Thomas You know I like those CV lenses. Smile This lens retailed for $2150 on release, sold not a few at full price, and made a very solid reputation. A brand new one for 745 with a two year warranty. Well, it's the best deal on a new modern Leica lens I've ever seen.

You are certainly right. Indeed it's a nice offer compared to the original price. However, as already stated, I'm more than happy with my CV lens and the little difference in performance (if at all visible in the final picture) IMHO doesn't seem to justify a new investment like this. At least on my "poor man's Leica" (Ricoh GXR-M) I didn't realize any shortcomings of my CV lens till date.

However, it would be great if you could provide some comparison shots after arrival of your new lens (Color-Heliar vs. Summarit). Would be curios to see the differences when used with your M9.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's all relative Wink
btw. the linked offer says: "This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
it's all relative Wink
btw. the linked offer says: "This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing."

That mean all copies are sold. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes andreas, it really is all relative. putting leica products aside, i am certain there are hundreds who love photography who cannot possibly afford the cv75. and there are millions who could feed and clothe their entire families for a year for the cost of that cv, let alone the cost of the camera to which it is attached. so we should count ourselves lucky for what we have instead of mindlessly throwing stones at others who have what we want.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
..so we should count ourselves lucky for what we have instead of mindlessly throwing stones at others who have what we want.

Like 1 small

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 Summarit 2.5 version is almost cheap :) Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:
I love my summilux, but it's heavy, so I just could not resist:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262360362106?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT"]http://www.ebay.com/itm/262360362106?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing.

Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meh.. I know this is new but it looks like this lens sells for that price used on average.. and there was a better deal about 2 weeks ago when he sold a few for $10 cheaper

plus they ship UPS which means you'll probably be hit with import taxes in the US making it even less of a bargain

--mike

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrumph. This champagne is too bubbly ...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is sold out Smile

But mine arrived:
[/url
[url=https://flic.kr/p/FSZWF8]Semi fast
by unoh7, on Flickr

To USA UPS added 22.75 brokerage fee, but it was very fast.

First brand new Leica lens I've owned. Yes, the used price has been around this point for a good deal. I was trying for several weeks though and did not find one. You can tell it's new Smile

Here are the CV and Leica 90s and 75s:

Semi fast by unoh7, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoughts on Contax Zeiss 85mm f2.8 vs Leica 75mm f2.5? Besides the substantial price difference Smile