Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FD 100mm 2.8 SSC query
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: Canon FD 100mm 2.8 SSC query Reply with quote

I have one of these that is in excellent overall condition aside from a pinhead size growth of fungus on the inside of the very back element. Anyone ever opened one of these? Do I start with the chrome breechlock ring? It is not at all obvious what holds the lens elements in place.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its a tiny spot UV light should kill it And it won't leave any more deradation that the pinhead does.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are some notes I made when disassembling an FD 100mm 1:2.8 SSC (80XXX serial number range) some time ago: Unscrew name ring, unscrew the chrome retaining ring found underneath it, remove filter thread ring. Remove 3 screws, remove focusing ring and unscrew outer retaining ring. Then the entire lens assembly comes out. My notes also say that up to this point you don't have messed up infinity focus.

Back when disassembling this one I had to get access to the diaphragm unit and that is only possible from the front. Even if starting from the front would get you access to the rear lens, in your case it may be easier to start from the rear: I have got another copy here (44XXX serial number range) and I can see it has a slotted retaining ring around the rear element. Since removing the lens mount assembly usually is as easy as removing the three screws under the breech lock ring I would try this way first.

Either way you will have to pay attention to properly aligning the diaphragm levers when reassembling the lens.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much!