Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

biotar 75/1.5: test shots on gxr m mount: wow!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: biotar 75/1.5: test shots on gxr m mount: wow! Reply with quote

i just traded for a biotar 75/1.5 in exakta mount. i got an exakta>konica ar and a konica ar>leica m mount adapters, strapped them all together to lens and camera, and had at it for test shots last night and today. nothing exotic, but i am really impressed. the first three are low light/high iso (between 2100-3200), not the camera's forte, but the results are pretty damn good, considering i was shooting wide open. the remaining portraits are 1.5-2.8, non landscapes at 5.6 and landscapes at 8.0. sharpness is insane, bokeh is creamy smooth.

the lens is heavier than i thought, and pretty bulky. it looks and feels pretty stupid on my tiny gxr, and ultimately this may be the combos undoing for me. but i'm going to shoot with it for a while because the test shots are so good and i want to try it out in real life situations.

comments always welcome and encouraged!
tony

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally you get one of the best lens Smile congrats , great pictures as well. One of the lens what once we get we never want to sell.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you so much attila! i cant believe how good this lens is at 1.5, just crazy. i cant wait to do some real photography with it.
tony

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing lens what can i say fantastic, also some nice bourbons there hmmmm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddieitman wrote:
Amazing lens what can i say fantastic, also some nice bourbons there hmmmm

+100 on that!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Finally you get one of the best lens Smile congrats , great pictures as well. One of the lens what once we get we never want to sell.

+1! Looks amazing! Enjoy!

PS: Leave it to me in your will!
Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more note it has three version , you got latest ones we call it 'fat' one Smile earliest post war is slim we call it 1951 slim version , finally rarest pre-war. Optically probably 1951 slim best , but difference is little if there is any at all.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great dog shots!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulation! ... It's one of my lenses that I want to keep it forever (till I broke and need money Smile )

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not just a lens, its a financial asset.
Hold on to it. Its the best investment I've made since 2007. Its appreciated more than gold.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Its not just a lens, its a financial asset.
Hold on to it. Its the best investment I've made since 2007. Its appreciated more than gold.

+1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, certainly a keeper!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great series...
I dont want this lens as I use NEX. funny combo like gxr. Very Happy

(actually cannot afford it LOL)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks everyone for your good wishes. i think i will enjoy the results very much, but like suat said, i will definately have to get used to this bulky lens on tiny gxr camera. perhaps i need an xpro1... Embarassed
tony

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am enjoy your results as well.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you post a pic of the lens itself and how much do these usually go for in USD?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:
Could you post a pic of the lens itself and how much do these usually go for in USD?

700-800 USD+

http://forum.mflenses.com/biotar-75-exakta-t45798,highlight,%2Bbiotar+%2B75.html

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have been pretty much monitoring sales in the US from ebay, and lens sells for $1000-1700. indeed i was contacted by a forum member recently who was selling his copy for about $1700usd. btw, that is not what i paid.
tony

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, what's not to like with this outfit? Amazing results! Congrats. Cool

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning, what a keeper

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it a preset aperture or a manual aperture?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, Tony, like your #5

How big is the lens on GXR? My goto lens at this focal length is FA77, very small and a good fit for GXR, wonder if you will be able try it one day.

Congratulations!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
thanks everyone for your good wishes. i think i will enjoy the results very much, but like suat said, i will definately have to get used to this bulky lens on tiny gxr camera. perhaps i need an xpro1... Embarassed
tony

I think you need the fullframe one Smile .. because part of the magic of this lens is in the border ... the swirly dance bokeh Smile
The crop factor sensor will ... mm .. crop that magic Smile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys!
bill: nothing not to like, just a lot bulkier than my RF gear. i,ll get used to it!
hifi: its a preset ap
alex: its WAY big, i'd say 1.5 the size and weight of the camera. i'm not familiar with the FA77, i assume its a nikon slr lens? my 'go to' has been the cv color heliar 75/2.5, also very comoact and really beautiful rendering. i'm going to hold onto both these 75s for a while.
nix: yeah, having used a 5d for a long time, i think youre right in your assessment. but i'll aleays have film for FF experience.
tony

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats Tony on your fabulous lens!

rbelyell wrote:
... i'm not familiar with the FA77, i assume its a nikon slr lens? ..

the FA77 is a small Pentax FF lens, it only weighs 270 grms: http://www.photozone.de/pentax/128-pentax-smc-fa-77mm-f18-limited-review--test-report
( the newer DA70mm made for APS-C and slower at f2.4 is amazingly small, only weighs 130 grms but doesn't have aperture ring: http://www.photozone.de/pentax/127-pentax-smc-da-70mm-f24-limited-review--test-report for NEX adapters with aperture ring available )