Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Spots on the internal element of lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Spots on the internal element of lens Reply with quote

Just bought a Vivitar 28/2.5. The lens is in excellent condition, but looking through the rear element, I immediately noticed spots. They are fairly well spread out on an internal element. I don't think they are fungus, but hard to tell and I have no idea how to take a photo of it. Haven't had a chance to put it on the camera yet. You think it is anything to worry about? I didn't pay much for the lens, so I would lean towards keeping it unless it is fungus or I can expect those little dots to affect photo quality, which I doubt. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is fungus and you will see it to grow, better to clean it. Spots can be dust, initial stage of fungus, dry path of lens cleaning fluid.

Nothing to worry to much, store lens right without caps in dust free environment and humidity must be below 60% , allow to get light and fungus will not grown ever.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Attila. I'm not worried about fungus growing, I live in a very dry climate. I'm just worried about spores getting into the camera (NEX) and infecting my other lenses. I'm no expert, but doesn't look like fungus to me, and pretty certain it is not dust. It almost looks like bubbles in the glass, but my guess that there's too many of them to be manufacturing imperfections. I tried taking photos of the sky, so even if I can see them with the naked eye looking through the back element, I can't seem them in photos. I'll try to shine a light through the lens and take a photo of that, see if you guys can give me a better idea of what it is.

Not a great picture, but this is shining a light through the rear element:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

santiclaws wrote:
Thanks, Attila. I'm not worried about fungus growing, I live in a very dry climate. I'm just worried about spores getting into the camera (NEX) and infecting my other lenses. I'm no expert, but doesn't look like fungus to me, and pretty certain it is not dust. It almost looks like bubbles in the glass, but my guess that there's too many of them to be manufacturing imperfections. I tried taking photos of the sky, so even if I can see them with the naked eye looking through the back element, I can't seem them in photos. I'll try to shine a light through the lens and take a photo of that, see if you guys can give me a better idea of what it is.

Not a great picture, but this is shining a light through the rear element:

Stop worry, spores are everywhere and not infect anything from one item to other. I have a dry box with heavily fungused lenses and some with minimal , humidity is controlled kept low around 40% I did start to use this box 5 yrs before I check items once a year none of them changed into bad direction , some fungus less items also there low value ones. None of them get infected.
To fungus infection first of all need humidity permanently above 50-60% for two weeks at least, require darkness as second.
I have camera on my desk as bird toy, hummidity often high lens covered with dirt and no fungus at all .

In my opinion lens cleaning fluid went to inner element , did happen with me and after fluid did try left similar lot of small bubles like trace path, annoying only.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

In my opinion lens cleaning fluid went to inner element , did happen with me and after fluid did try left similar lot of small bubles like trace path, annoying only.
That's what it looks like - like something was sprayed on the internal element. I think that's the most likely explanation. I'll take your advice and stop worrying. Smile Thank you.