Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma dp quattro H - first impressions
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Sigma dp quattro H - first impressions Reply with quote

Only some test images (very better at 100% dimensions) with 2 cheap lenses: meyer oreston 50 and fuji 55 1.8.
3d, colours and sharpness are very good. I already knew and I use the dp merrill 1, then no surprise for me, but
colours have a purity not admitted from the bayer mosaic, and also sharpness doesn't need "5-6 pixels at the edges"
to be good.
All the best,
sandro





PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Sigma dp quattro H - first impressions Reply with quote

sarrasani wrote:
colours have a purity not admitted from the bayer mosaic

Now that's what I call a bold statement.
I took a liberty of purifying your white balance.

Would you say it looks better?


In all seriousness, these are not the scenes where higher color resolution can be effectively showcased, and Foveon sensor color resolution hardly matters for severely downscaled photos destined for the online posting.


PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Sigma camera's; I use an original DP2 on a regular basis. I used an SD10 for a while, and like the ergo and output, but disliked the bulk. Considering the SD Quattro (H) for a while, but now waiting for the L-mount, which will be much more flexible for adapting old lenses. Then again, should I run into a good offer...

One question: I've heard some users complain about a green cast when using manual lenses on SD Quattro (H). Did you notice this? (of course not on these samples, but on other images you made)


PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:
I really like Sigma camera's; I use an original DP2 on a regular basis. I used an SD10 for a while, and like the ergo and output, but disliked the bulk. Considering the SD Quattro (H) for a while, but now waiting for the L-mount, which will be much more flexible for adapting old lenses. Then again, should I run into a good offer...

One question: I've heard some users complain about a green cast when using manual lenses on SD Quattro (H). Did you notice this? (of course not on these samples, but on other images you made)


I use this camera since 2 days.....but my impression: with fuji 55 1.8 yes, I found a certain "strong green" charachter.
Using Tessar 50 mm. and Meyer Oreston nothing similar.....The problem is IMHO that all we are a little accustomed to
a "strong magenta" and weaker green and blue from our bayer sensors.....then a will balanced and realistic colour rendition (filtered by the lens character) seem to be too much blue and green. Only my 2 cents, to be clear.
All the best,
Sandro


PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Sigma dp quattro H - first impressions Reply with quote

aidaho wrote:
sarrasani wrote:
colours have a purity not admitted from the bayer mosaic

Now that's what I call a bold statement.
I took a liberty of purifying your white balance.

Would you say it looks better?


In all seriousness, these are not the scenes where higher color resolution can be effectively showcased, and Foveon sensor color resolution hardly matters for severely downscaled photos destined for the online posting.


I agree 100% with your considerations. Only some samples without any editing. And as you tell there is a great (greater than similar compression with other sensors images) quality reduction with this compression. I too find weak the visualization of these ones......and surely, your "green clearing" improves the image clarity.

Thank you much and again, I agree 100% with your considerations.

All the best,
Sandro


PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sarrasani wrote:

I use this camera since 2 days.....but my impression: with fuji 55 1.8 yes, I found a certain "strong green" charachter.
Using Tessar 50 mm. and Meyer Oreston nothing similar.....The problem is IMHO that all we are a little accustomed to
a "strong magenta" and weaker green and blue from our bayer sensors.....then a will balanced and realistic colour rendition (filtered by the lens character) seem to be too much blue and green. Only my 2 cents, to be clear.
All the best,
Sandro
Thanks for sharing your impression!

I was just curious if you noticed. I don't have a specific bias. In fact, besides the sigma, I have other camera's without Bayer; so I'm not particularly loyal to the Bayer-look Cool