Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CZJ Sonnar 135/f4 Chrome disassembly
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: CZJ Sonnar 135/f4 Chrome disassembly Reply with quote

Hi there.
I've recently became a happy owner of CZJ Sonnar 135/f4 (Chrome/Silver) with m42 mount. Aperture ring works flawlessly, however focus ring needs new grease. Lenses could also use some cleaning.

I would like to disassembly lens to do the cleaning, however I don't see any screw and I would prefer not to break anything while pulling both sides away.
Is there any guide on how to open them? Or maybe someone has opened this lens before and knows how to do it?

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: CZJ Sonnar 135/f4 Chrome disassembly Reply with quote

beton wrote:
Hi there.
I've recently became a happy owner of CZJ Sonnar 135/f4 (Chrome/Silver) with m42 mount. Aperture ring works flawlessly, however focus ring needs new grease. Lenses could also use some cleaning.

I would like to disassembly lens to do the cleaning, however I don't see any screw and I would prefer not to break anything while pulling both sides away.
Is there any guide on how to open them? Or maybe someone has opened this lens before and knows how to do it?

Thanks in advance

Check this:
http://www.bigeye.url.tw/big5/d_czj135_4_2.htm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: CZJ Sonnar 135/f4 Chrome disassembly Reply with quote

Hi Beton

I had to do a relube with a CZJ triotar, it was almost locked solid. The thread (sorry, i tend to ramble on a bit) for the process is here... http://forum.mflenses.com/my-first-re-lube-czj-triotar-135-advice-please-t46854.html

Your lens looks similar in design and the removal of the focus helical looks like you could use some of the same techniques that were suggested to me.

What you asked about getting the lens open? I cut a tool from some sheet metal so that it would fit the cut outs in the end of the inner lens barrell (the black one with ridges on it). The correct method would be to use a spanner wrench like this... http://mattsclassiccameras.com/industar_relubing/14-spanner_ring.jpg

I'd be interested to hear what grease you use to relube the helical and what results you get. I used two different types of temperature stable lithium based greases that i found in a bicycle shop. But neither yeilded great results for me - it is stil a little stiff.

I have since repaired a CZJ Flektogon and used Aeroshell 7 grease on that. It's a synthetic oil/clay formulation which leaves the focus much easier to move than the lithium greases but has a slightly rough feel to it. Nothing like the smooth oily feel from a properly lubed lens of that era. I got some nyogel damping grease samples and tried those out on the Flektogon but none performed as well as the aeroshell 7.

Report back with how you get on and best of luck!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Sonnar 135 mm f/4 lens disassembly Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

Although new to this forum, I`m not new at all to old cameras and lenses.
I`ve got a really hard time with the white aluminum Sonnar 135/4: after a nice and easy focusing mechanism relubing, I`m now stuck at the optics cleaning. I`ve got some haze inside (too much of it to ignore) but I simply can`t reach there.
I thought the nameplate should just unscrew. I`ve tried with round plastic piece with double sided adhesive tape. The thing that did move at once was the front lens retaining ring (which is beyond but has a collar that protrudes towards the front outer side in the inner diameter of the nameplate), but that won`t go any further than a few turns since it obviously hits the rear of the nameplate.
The lens was really cheap and the haze is so annoying so I decided I`ve got nothing to lose and (for the first time after a few years of repairing old photo stuff) eventualy drilled two 1 mm diametraly opposed holes in the nameplate so that I could grab it properly with a spanner.
Guess what?
Right! Nothing happened. That ring is as stiff as it gets. I could break my fingers and still no joy.

I`ve searched the net but found nothing else apart from the focus relubing part.
I`d really appreciate any help in getting that front element out!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem as dandum with the "zebra" 135mm model. Applying some silicone oil from a spraybox made the nameplate/ring loosen, and after unscrewing the nameplate the retaining ring could be unscrewed with a caliper.I cleaned fungus with isopropyle swabs from the doctors office and washed in soap and temperated water before polishing with lens paper.The blue coating of the "zebra" resisted this treatment well.