Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Komura Komuranon Interchangeable Mount System: The details
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very interesting and informative topic. Thank you. This should be a sticky so we can refer to it if we need to.

The interchangeable mount system is clumsy and I wonder if it originated from a factory system where the factory made lenses then attached specific mounts to them based on the market, at the customers request or even by the importer. This could explain why the apertures are on the mount and the screw-on system is used. It would be cheaper than making dedicated lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
I think I just won a 135/2.8 in K mount Smile

Click here to see on Ebay

You think? You either did or didn't, but since there is only one bid, if it is from you, you got it. But what is it? I'm not familiar with that style of Komura. Luis knows more than I do and maybe can shed some light on that style lens. It's obviously later than the pre-set lenses we're used to seeing under the Komura label.

If it is as good as the earlier one, you'll like it. I also wonder if it has the multi-multi blade diaphragm with a scalloped circle. I just used mine last month with satisfying results.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have read page 1 before posting; lots of good information there.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:25 am    Post subject: Super Komura "Uni Auto" 300mm f5.0 Reply with quote

Nicely made lens, quite lightweight and handles well ... but image quality is almost acceptable by f11. Sad
Has an M42 mount.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1970s Komuranons are very rare here in he UK. The 2.8.28 is the most common, in that I've seen it for sale three or four times, always in Canon FD mount. The occasional zoom shows up, but other primes are almost never seen.

However, a 3.5/200 in mint condition appeared on ebay last week and I grabbed it for the massive sum of 6ukp inc postage. Arrived today, looks brand new, it has an OM mount so I'll have to get an OM-NEX adapter to be able to try it out. Beautifully made, fingers crossed it performs well too.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
The 1970s Komuranons are very rare here in he UK. The 2.8.28 is the most common, in that I've seen it for sale three or four times, always in Canon FD mount. The occasional zoom shows up, but other primes are almost never seen.

However, a 3.5/200 in mint condition appeared on ebay last week and I grabbed it for the massive sum of 6ukp inc postage. Arrived today, looks brand new, it has an OM mount so I'll have to get an OM-NEX adapter to be able to try it out. Beautifully made, fingers crossed it performs well too.

Ian: I have found it challenging to focus when wide open. I need to make adjustment to the diopter in my viewfinder, so that may have something to do with it. I found it easier at f/4. When getting the focus right, it is very acceptably sharp, but the best is the colors and bokeh. Unfortunately for you, it does best in bright light.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. For testing, I use a tripod and the 14x magnify assist on the NEX. I tend to find really sharp lenses are very easy to focus this way, but less than pin sharp ones can often be tricky because you're just not sure if you're struggling to find the sharpest point of focus or if it never really gets that sharp. Low contrast lenses, even if very sharp can also be tricky to focus on the NEX.

I tested a Sankor 3.9/200 I just bought in mint condition for 7ukp inc postage. It's not good, not sharp, low contrast, visible red and green CA. Most worrying, the sharpness and contrast significantly between f3.9 and f8. Light was quite good. I'll give it at least one more try, user error can always come into it of course. I hoped it might be as good as the Sankor 2.5/105 I have, which is excellent, but that seems a faint hope now.

Shutter speeds were 1/2000 at f3.9, 1/1000 at f5.6 and 1/500 at f8 so there shouldn't be any shake causing a loss of sharpness.

I might have got a lemon that was not right when it left the factory, hence it's in such good condition - it was never used after an initial trial.

No PP on these, first is at f3.9, second is at f8, with corresponding 100% crops, I hope the Komura is significantly better than this:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
...user error can always come into it of course.
Shocked

No, those don't look good. Aside from being soft, I would think there is haze in the lens. Still I won't condemn a lens for lack of contrast when a two second click of auto contrast will fix it. But that is a Sankor and this is a Komura thread. I will suggest you move continue your 3.5/200 posts in my Komura thread of the same focal length: http://forum.mflenses.com/sanky-kki-komura-200mm-f-3-5-t65523,highlight,%2Bkomura.html I will go and update with some images as I see now that I did not follow through after opening the thread.

3.5/200 thread here: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1401044.html#1401044

Last edited by woodrim on Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rear glass has a very slight haze, otherwise it's clean. Interestingly, my Auto Sankor 3.5/200 also has the same haze on the rear glass.

That would reduce contrast a little, but the softness.... Sad

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reopening a very old thread here. I am in the process of "discovering" Komura lenses. The pictures in the first post don't show anymore. Any chance they can be re-uploaded? I an very interested in what they say.

Regards, Christine