Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

question about two lenses, 21mm Russar, 28mm Orion-15
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: question about two lenses, 21mm Russar, 28mm Orion-15 Reply with quote

Will the above lenses work on the Sony NEX?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't have a Sony NEX, but since my Orion-15 works on my M mount cameras, I can't think of a reason why
it shouldn't work on a Nexie too (as Nex's native lenses' register distance is shorter than M's).

Last edited by Orio on Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, how do you like the Oion-15?

Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Orio, how do you like the Oion-15?

Oh, it's a superb lens, very detailed, pocketable, perfect for hyperfocal street photography.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some wide angles that sit very close to film/sensor won't work on NEX due to clash with baffle inside the camera. Notable example is Jupiter-12.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, thanks, will be looking for one.

Fermy, yes, Attila gave me the bad news about the J12 concerning the NEX. They still go
cheap enough to maybe have one for film, although I'm trying to put together a kit where
all lenses can be used on both film and digital.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
Some wide angles that sit very close to film/sensor won't work on NEX due to clash with baffle inside the camera. Notable example is Jupiter-12.

Oh, I see.
I can not mount the J-12 on M cameras because it would hit the shutter's curtains even if just slightly.
Nex having shorter register distance than M, it would need a longer adapter to mount the Orion, so I assumed it would not interfere with curtains since Orion does not interfere even with M.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J12 doesn't fit NEX-3, but postwar redesigned Biogon does. Russar and Orion should fit NEX fine as the yare a fair bit smaller at the back than a J12.

Bill, you should definitely grab a J12 for film use, a really good lens, try to get a 1950s one with red P.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
J12 doesn't fit NEX-3, but postwar redesigned Biogon does. Russar and Orion should fit NEX fine as the yare a fair bit smaller at the back than a J12.

Bill, you should definitely grab a J12 for film use, a really good lens, try to get a 1950s one with red P.

Ian, that's a great shot! OK, will be looking for one, thanks. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Bill, the J12 is great, as you can see in that shot.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Orion on my Zorki/Fed cameras. It's a great performer on them, not very fast, but small and sharp, but I've no idea how well it would look on a cropped sensor digital camera. One of the things I like, is the slight vignette, which would probably be completely lost due to crop factor.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both are excellent lenses as my friend Marco Cavina has proven in his user tests here:
http://www.marcocavina.com/articoli_fotografici/Soviet_and_wide_lenses_on_Leica_M/00_p.htm
Actually he has my lenses now. The J12 unfortunately is too deep to be used on many digital bodies
as already stated, but the Orion-15 should work nicely, but has gotten a bit pricey recently and
especially teh Russar MR-2 has. Here is the Orion-15 makers history:
http://www.sovietcams.com/index.php?-1893393610 The Russar MR-2 5.6/20mm
also does not fit my digital bodies btw. as it hits internal light baffles.

About the Orion-15, here a few when used on my Lumix GH1:

Full set is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/sets/72157628104462326/

A benefit from its Topogon design is, that it is quite flare proof even with direct sun.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are expensive lenses, not so smart to have them due you can use both on digital and film. 28mm Konica SLR lens go for peanuts and works very well on NEX and KOnica SLR too. 21mm even more worst price performance ratio, more rare more expensive.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful images, Klaus!

Attila/Ian, first the J12, I have lots of 28's in different mounts at the moment.

Click here to see on Ebay

and just got a Zorki 6 body to keep the Fed5C company

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice early J12, has the metal shrouded rear like a proper Biogon, later J12s don't have the metal shroud around the rear group.

Zorki 6 is a very nice camera, the lever wind and hinged back are nice additions that will be useful.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Bill, excellent find!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian and Klaus, thanks, however, since dumkin Bill didn't read the fine print,
need to find a Kiev 4 for a bottom cap. Wink Embarassed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, got a Kiev 4: