Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Advice on focussing : Industar 50mm f3.5 on Sony A6000
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Advice on focussing : Industar 50mm f3.5 on Sony A6000 Reply with quote

Hi All

Today I bought a beautiful little silver Industar 50mm f3.5 lens attached to a Zenit 3M. The serial number implies it is a 1964 vintage. It is in a Leica L39 thread.

The issue I have is it will not focus at all on my Sony A6000 with a Kecay L39 M39 to Sony Nex adapter

The adapter works fine with my Industar И-61 53mm f2.8 and also on my late fathers Leica summicron 5cm f2 collapsible lens.

If I look through the viewfinder of the Zenit 3M with the Industar 50mm f3.5 attached I can focus OK.

Any ideas on what I need to do to make the lens work ?

I love my Industar И-61 and I am really excited about using the 50mm

Thank you in anticipation of your help

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Zenit 3m has an (almost) identical back-focus to a generic M42 slr, so what you need is a 39-42mm converter ring, (available on eBay for very little money), then use that assembly on an M42 adaptor. According to some references, the Zenit 3m back-focus distance is slightly different to the conventional Pentax/Praktica etc. M42 distance, but I've not noticed any problem. Having said that, I've probably never tried to focus it at infinity on my Pentax with the aperture wide open Wink

The Zenit 3m was my first slr back in '69. When I sold it I let the Industar-50 lens go with it, but bought another soon after, it's a lovely lens Smile

You may care to note, the Industar-50-2 is the M42 version, has no focus problems and works without any intervening ring, just needing an M42 adaptor for whatever body you're using.

The Industar-50 was also available in M39 rangefinder mount (Leica screw mount), it looks much like the lens you've got but with a built-in extension tube. There was also a collapsible Industar-50 in M-39 rangefinder mount. Be careful with these, they can "collapse" too far into a modern mirrorless body and cause damage, or at least chipped paint. All versions of the Industar-50 are Tessar derivatives, not Elmar as you might see mentioned. The three examples I have all appear to be coated, they certainly perform very well!

Enjoy Smile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kypfer wrote:
The Zenit 3m has an (almost) identical back-focus to a generic M42 slr, so what you need is a 39-42mm converter ring, (available on eBay for very little money), then use that assembly on an M42 adaptor. According to some references, the Zenit 3m back-focus distance is slightly different to the conventional Pentax/Praktica etc. M42 distance, but I've not noticed any problem. Having said that, I've probably never tried to focus it at infinity on my Pentax with the aperture wide open Wink

The Zenit 3m was my first slr back in '69. When I sold it I let the Industar-50 lens go with it, but bought another soon after, it's a lovely lens Smile

You may care to note, the Industar-50-2 is the M42 version, has no focus problems and works without any intervening ring, just needing an M42 adaptor for whatever body you're using.

The Industar-50 was also available in M39 rangefinder mount (Leica screw mount), it looks much like the lens you've got but with a built-in extension tube. There was also a collapsible Industar-50 in M-39 rangefinder mount. Be careful with these, they can "collapse" too far into a modern mirrorless body and cause damage, or at least chipped paint. All versions of the Industar-50 are Tessar derivatives, not Elmar as you might see mentioned. The three examples I have all appear to be coated, they certainly perform very well!

Enjoy Smile

kypfer

Thank you for the excellent feedback , I've just found a 39-42mm adapter on Amazon for 5-90 GBP , so I am going to order it now Wink

I will post some results here when I have took some photos

Thank you once again

Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the following set: industar from Zenit-3M + macro ring M39 h=16.4 mm + M39-NEX adapter + sony a7.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a bit of luck the m39-m42 adapter will work. But if it was a good day in the factory when the Industar was made and it's up to specs it will not reach infinity, but almost.

sergtum has good advice, I have this solution too and recently I have changed to a helicoid adapter to gain macro ability and smoother focusing.

I had a Mir 1 that worked with a m39-m42 adapter. Then I got a better Mir 1 and a Jupiter 11 that could not reach infinity that way.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergtum wrote:
I use the following set: industar from Zenit-3M + macro ring M39 h=16.4 mm + M39-NEX adapter + sony a7.

thank you sergtum, I jumped in with for the m39-m42 adapter as I did not see your reply, I've since seen you solution on another forum .

Thank you for your feedback

Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
With a bit of luck the m39-m42 adapter will work. But if it was a good day in the factory when the Industar was made and it's up to specs it will not reach infinity, but almost.

sergtum has good advice, I have this solution too and recently I have changed to a helicoid adapter to gain macro ability and smoother focusing.

I had a Mir 1 that worked with a m39-m42 adapter. Then I got a better Mir 1 and a Jupiter 11 that could not reach infinity that way.

blotafton , thank you , I love my 50mm lenses for portrait and street photography, so not quite getting to infinity may not be an issue.

I love how people on this forum are so helpful Smile

Like 1 small

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have quite a few m39 lenses and always had trouble hitting infinity using an m42-nex adapter and m39-m42 adapter.

I noticed there was a ridge on the threaded m42 insert of the m42 to nex adapter which I considered machining down to be able to hit infinity. Instead I looked around until I could find the cheapest junk adapter that didn’t have this ridge. Now using this cheap adapter with the wrong register distance for m42 lenses, I am able to hit infinity with the modified m39 lenses. Just one way to get around it.

I would post pictures of the two adapters but I guess that won’t work on mobile. If you look at the k&f m42 to Nex adapter you will see a ridge on the shiny m42 insert, some of the super cheap adapters do not have this ridge and are flush with the main adapter body... this gives you a little more room to hit infinity and worked for me on the a6000 and A7ii. If you still needed it a little closer to hit infinity you could mill down the m42 face of the adapter further. The cheap adapter that worked for me is sold under the name dollice... it may not work for you but just an option..

Andrew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Bittacy wrote:
I have quite a few m39 lenses and always had trouble hitting infinity using an m42-nex adapter and m39-m42 adapter.

I noticed there was a ridge on the threaded m42 insert of the m42 to nex adapter which I considered machining down to be able to hit infinity. Instead I looked around until I could find the cheapest junk adapter that didn’t have this ridge. Now using this cheap adapter with the wrong register distance for m42 lenses, I am able to hit infinity with the modified m39 lenses. Just one way to get around it.

I would post pictures of the two adapters but I guess that won’t work on mobile. If you look at the k&f m42 to Nex adapter you will see a ridge on the shiny m42 insert, some of the super cheap adapters do not have this ridge and are flush with the main adapter body... this gives you a little more room to hit infinity and worked for me on the a6000 and A7ii. If you still needed it a little closer to hit infinity you could mill down the m42 face of the adapter further. The cheap adapter that worked for me is sold under the name dollice... it may not work for you but just an option..

Andrew

Andrew thanks for your help, I am pleased to report the lens focusses to infinity

Like 1 small

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kypfer wrote:

Enjoy Smile

I have one of the collapsible models, I added a couple of o-rings to the tube to prevent it going too far back.
Though I've now added an extension tube to it - so it focuses to infinity without sliding it out. This gives the ability to slide it out when I want closer focusing as the MFD is rather long with this lens in standard format.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, just got a silver industar 50-2 red dot 5cm with a tube; it was used on an enlargement unit, needs CLA thoroughly. I have many adapters to Sony,but none L39, so, what's the best way to adapt it?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
Hi all, just got a silver industar 50-2 red dot 5cm with a tube; it was used on an enlargement unit, needs CLA thoroughly. I have many adapters to Sony,but none L39, so, what's the best way to adapt it?

If it's an Industar 50-2 (note the hyphen2) it's almost certainly a 42mm-screw lens, as supplied with the Zenit B, Zenit E etc. Any tube that's fitted is probably some kind of 42-39mm adaptor for use on an enlarger. If, indeed it's an Industar 50 (note, no hyphen2), there were several different variants, for different types of camera and for use on an enlarger. One would need to see a picture to be sure which variant it was ... (the enlarger variant won't have a focussing helix or scale).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:

There are no silver Industars 50-2, all of them are black (and so are enlarger Industars 50U) and have standard M42 mount.
If it's indeed silver, it should be Industar 50. Those were made to fit both SLRs and rangefinder cameras - they have extension tube with RF coupler for rangefinders which can be unscrewed for using the lens with SLRs.
Both the lens and the tube have 39mm threads, so you can either use LTM adapter and the lens with extension tube, or the M42 adapter with M39-M42 ring and the lens without the tube.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just got it in my hands, indeed is the industar -50 f:3.5 F=5cm . It's got the focusing ring right in the tube, I've measured the back side almost 39mm ,so I should get a L39 ring to fit to M42 adapter? Would that be ok to focus to infinity? Besides, I need to CLA it, there is so much of everything inside of it, focus seems dry and stepie (it jumps through the focus).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
I've just got it in my hands, indeed is the industar -50 f:3.5 F=5cm

Can we see a picture of the lens you have, preferably the side view? (there is also earlier collapsible version of Industar 50)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens has been unscrewed from an enlargement unit, it's not the collapsible version . Will try tommorow to show a pic ,even though these are very usual lenses and go cheap, I've got it for 9€ .

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
these are very usual lenses

Still there are some variations. It would be helpful to know what exactly do you have

kiddo wrote:
and go cheap, I've got it for 9€ .

That's considered crazily expensive where I'm from Smile
They're more like 3-4€ here (I understand the 'shipping cost' concept, of course)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex TG wrote:
kiddo wrote:
these are very usual lenses

Still there are some variations. It would be helpful to know what exactly do you have

kiddo wrote:
and go cheap, I've got it for 9€ .

That's considered crazily expensive where I'm from Smile
They're more like 3-4€ here (I understand the 'shipping cost' concept, of course)

Shipping included 9€ not bad, ,

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
Shipping included 9€ not bad, ,

True that.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
This lens has been unscrewed from an enlargement unit, it's not the collapsible version . Will try tommorow to show a pic ,even though these are very usual lenses and go cheap, I've got it for 9€ .

The fact that the lens was removed from an enlarger is not very helpful. For some time, when I first started printing my own photographs, I removed the Industar-50 from my Zenit 3m and used it in my Gnome enlarger because I could not afford a 50mm lens for the enlarger. Having the fine focus on the lens was actually a help Wink

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img][/img]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I see. That's the rangefinder variant with extension tube.
You'll just need L39-NEX adapter, and that's all.
Or, if you happen to have M42-NEX adapter, you can unscrew the rear part of the lens, add M39-M42 ring to what's left and mount it on adapter.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main tube is the focusing helicoid, removing it would mean there's no way to focus , so what's the right way to use this lens with an adapter?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
The main tube is the focusing helicoid

No, it is not.

UPD: translations for the second picture:
1. "Industar 50" rangefinder lens
2. Unscrewing the extension ring
3. Unscrewing the rangefinder pusher
4. Rangefinder and SLR lens size comparison

Last edited by Alex TG on Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total