Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 75-205, Zuiko 75-150, Quantaray 75-205, Konica 135
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Vivitar 75-205, Zuiko 75-150, Quantaray 75-205, Konica 135 Reply with quote

Hi to all,

here is a quick comparison between Vivitar 75-205mm f3.8, one touch version, MD mount, serial 2213... and Zuiko 75-150mm f4. As a reference point I took Konica 135mm, so I set the other two lenses on 135mm and the maximum aperture for each. The light conditions I chose were not too easy: high contrast, direction from a shadowy corridor to a window.

The camera I used was Sony NEX-5N, with cheap adapters. All three shots are handheld.

All three photos are from camera jpg, no correction or any other post-procession applied except size reduction (from 4912px to 1200px largest side) and slight automatic sharpening after the resize (IrfanView). 100% crops are not retouched, neither sharpened.

That concerns the full-sized image that may be found here. The image below is downsized to 1600px at the larges side, as required by the forum rules:

[/url]

Before, I learnt about an amazing IQ from Zuiko (this precise type) and expected Vivitar could be just OK. But what surprised me, Vivitar turned out to be better giving more details and a more interesting bokeh. Konica looks the best, what is predictable of a manual fix. Though not so MUCH better than Vivitar, at my point of view, as for the general impression of the image. What do you think?

I would say that the bokeh fades from Konica which is nice (IMO) to Vivitar which is interesting to Zuiko where the shapes are almost inexistent and turn into a kind of fog. Chromatic aberrations look inverse: Vivitar has pretty much on the edges, as seen on the crop, and Zuiko is quite few. So you should chose between the two evils, duller bokeh or bigger CA. Does it correspond to your experience?

It will also be just to precise that Zuiko is at least twice smaller and lighter than Vivitar. But Vivitar is quite handy still, even if in its case, with NEX, I hold more the lens than camera itself!

Best,
alex

UPD: The photo is restored after the server crash.

Last edited by alex ph on Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:52 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar 75-205mm vs. Zuiko 75-150mm vs. Konica 135mm Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Hi to all,

here is a quick comparison between Vivitar 75-205mm f3.8, one touch version, MD mount, serial 2213... and Zuiko 75-150mm f4. As a reference point I took Konica 135mm, so I set the other two lenses on 135mm and the maximum aperture for each. The light conditions I chose were not too easy: high contrast, direction from a shadowy corridor to a window.

The camera I used was Sony NEX-5N, with cheap adapters. All three shots are handheld.

All three photos are from camera jpg, no correction or any other post-procession applied except size reduction (from 4912px to 1200px largest side) and slight automatic sharpening after the resize (IrfanView). 100% crops are not retouched, neither sharpened.

That concerns the full-sized image that may be found here. The image below is downsized to 1600px at the larges side, as required by the forum rules:

Before, I learnt about an amazing IQ from Zuiko (this precise type) and expected Vivitar could be just OK. But what surprised me, Vivitar turned out to be better giving more details and a more interesting bokeh. Konica looks the best, what is predictable of a manual fix. Though not so MUCH better than Vivitar, at my point of view, as for the general impression of the image. What do you think?

I would say that the bokeh fades from Konica which is nice (IMO) to Vivitar which is interesting to Zuiko where the shapes are almost inexistent and turn into a kind of fog. Chromatic aberrations look inverse: Vivitar has pretty much on the edges, as seen on the crop, and Zuiko is quite few. So you should chose between the two evils, duller bokeh or bigger CA. Does it correspond to your experience?

It will also be just to precise that Zuiko is at least twice smaller and lighter than Vivitar. But Vivitar is quite handy still, even if in its case, with NEX, I hold more the lens than camera itself!

Best,
alex

Welcome to the forum alex ph. You can't post images in your first post - an anti-spam measure. You'll be OK from now on.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar 75-205mm vs. Zuiko 75-150mm vs. Konica 135mm Reply with quote

Thank you Edgar!

When I started looking for MF lenses, I found much useful information on this forum. Now, when I got several lenses myself, I'd like to contribute to this common knowledge.

Cheers,
alex

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

question: why did you shoot against the light?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To see how the lenses perform in "uneasy" conditions, first for edges, second for bokeh.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum and thanks for contributing. I have each of these lenses and your test certainly answered some questions for me. I appreciate that. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, aspen! That makes me feel well.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: + Quantaray 75-205mm Reply with quote

Hello back,

I'd like to add here another "tank" lens to the comparison. It's Quantaray Auto M.R.Macro Zoom 75-205mm Multi-Coated, f3.5, serial 7830... (OM mount). Mounted again on NEX-5N.

The lens is as tall as Vivitar 75-205mm, but bulkier (and even heavier!), a two touch system. It has macro regime which works OK. But what interests me now is a uniform out-of-focus comparison.

The flowers are gone from the window, so I hear already a question from WolverineX: "why did you shoot that dull window frame, with a grey sky behind?" I admit, it should be a just question, as the composition is a kind weird. But I wished to stay close to the initial side-by-side comparison.

Shots are handheld, at maximum aperture for both lenses, 3.8 and 3.5 respectively. Focus is on the plastic bag in the bottom. Downsized, as the first images, to 1200px in IrfanView, this time without any sharpening at all.

As far as I understand, I may not post here images larger than 1200px, and 1200 twice is 2400. So I leave here a link to the large image.

I would say, the bokeh is rather similar. Maybe Vivitar renders it in a bit more artistic, plastic way. While Quantaray makes it more "edgy" and generally makes the camera to prefer the dark side, which is also seen on the plastic bag (darker). Maybe because of faster shutter speed with a faster lens, 1/320 for Vivitar vs. 1/500 for Quataray, ISO 200? What is impressive for both lenses is a general "artistic" side revealed in elements of the image, in a way unexpected of heavy zoom lenses.

Best,
alex

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Vivitar 75-205 Reply with quote

Thank you for the comparison. I would like to comment on the Vivitar if I may.
I have the two-ring version of this lens - made by Kiron - and have just been using it so I thought I might add some sample pictures.
The IQ is impressive for such an oldish lens and the build quality is superb - I think most Kirons were very well made.
Konica and Zuiko have great reputations, so it is good to see the Vivitar hold its own in that company.
Here are a couple of images taken today with my lens.