Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor 28mm f/3.5 AI, Nikkor 50mm f/2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Nikkor 28mm f/3.5 AI, Nikkor 50mm f/2 Reply with quote

This Nikkor lenses one of my latest purchase. Any thought ? Are they good, average etc ?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikkor 28mm f/3.5 AI, Nikkor 50mm f/2 Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
This Nikkor lenses one of my latest purchase. Any thought ? Are they good, average etc ?

The 50mm f/2 is well above average. But there is some copy variation based on what I read. My copy is good but not as good as my 50mm f/1.4 or the (also manual) 50mm f/1.8
Personally, I have never found any Nikkor 50mm that was less than very good, with the exception of the autofocus model 50mm f/1.4, which is quite bad (it's not me the MF lenses fan who says this, everybody does).

The 28mm f/3.5 I have also. About acutance (sharpness) it's not as good as the 28mm f/2.8 or the 28mm f/2, but, according to Bjorn Roerslett (I hope to have written the name correctly, I quote by heart), it has an exceptional resistance to flare. I have the lens but I have never really given it a hard try, so I can not tell for the moment. I only shot a few photos and wasn't very impressed by the amount of detail.

I have paid for both lenses a very ridiculous price. I believe I have paid for the 50mm f.2 something like 10 Euros + shipping. The 28mm f/3.5 just a little more (about 15 euros or something like that).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys! Seems I made good business I like Nikon from every aspects. I also found only very good and outstanding Nikkor lenses, but might be I am sick I thinking to sell my Nikon d50 and buy a Canon 400D instead, because Orio wrote such a nice things from this camera.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Thank you guys! Seems I made good business I like Nikon from every aspects. I also found only very good and outstanding Nikkor lenses, but might be I am sick I thinking to sell my Nikon d50 and buy a Canon 400D instead, because Orio wrote such a nice things from this camera.

Yes I am a great fan of the 400D. And the good news is that ALL your Nikkor lenses will work in full stopdown mode with it - including the oldest pre-AI (which are the ones you are most presumably interested in, like I am).

The prices on the first digital cameras are dropping in a ridiculous way. Sunday I saw a *new* 300D (with box, warranty and all) for sale for 250 Eur.
The 400D in many Italian shops is now around 650 Eur, approaching fast the 600 Eur incl. VAT (body only). The 350D is about 100 Euros less so it doesn't make sense (the larger LCD of the 400D and the sensor shaker are worth more than the difference alone). Actually, the price difference is so small that it could be a good moment for the 350D owners to upgrade to the 400D. I foresee the price difference in the used market to increase significantly after the shops have exhausted the large stocks of 350D that they currently have.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had the extra money, I'd already have the 400D. But, spending on
more medium format stuff, and saving for a designated film scanner,
has put that on the back shelf for now. That's why I snapped up the
Olympus E-300 since it was an 8MP cam for $205.50! I'll be getting the
400D but it may take me to fall or winter, now.

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that you got some nice lenses. I have never seen a Nikkor that wasn't a nice lens.

BTW, you cannot compare a Nikon D50 with a EOS 400D. These cams play in different leagues. To get to the 400D you would have to take the D80.
So, I guess you will realise the difference if you change.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think D80 significantly better than D50 ? I don't think so, Olympus-E1 and D50 also in different category , but I prefer D50 against Olympus E-1. So hard to decide what should I do.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it is a 6MPix cam vs. a 10MPix cam, and there is a difference in how the cam is equipped (e.g. ISO100 ...)
Personally, I would even prefer a D70s to a D50, due to its rather "professional" touch.
I do not want to discredit the D50, it's a very nice cam, but it is rather comparable to (my) EOS350D than to the 400D.
Not much of a difference between these cams, but there is some!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one thing the D70, D70s, D80 have is Commander Mode module. If
you want to be able to control several flashes from your camera in a
studio setting, this is a godsend. It is like having the Canon ST-E2 flash
controller built into the camera, only it is more versatile, talented. Wait
a little and simply get the Nikon D200 that meters manual lenses. That
particular cam concedes very little to the Nikon D2x.

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

katastrofo wrote:
The one thing the D70, D70s, D80 have is Commander Mode module. If
you want to be able to control several flashes from your camera in a
studio setting, this is a godsend. It is like having the Canon ST-E2 flash
controller built into the camera, only it is more versatile, talented. Wait
a little and simply get the Nikon D200 that meters manual lenses. That
particular cam concedes very little to the Nikon D2x.

Bill

Bill, I think that Attila's main issue is the fact taht you can not focus to infinity M42 lenses on a Nikon camera. Since he has a large collection of M42 lenses, it makes sense for him to sell the Nikon and buy a M42 compatible camera with the money. Besides, any camera that is M42 compatible will also be Nikkor compatible, so he will still be able to use all his Nikkor lenses on the new camera (only exception would be the 5D because of mirror issue - but I read that people shaved their 5D mirror and obtained full compatibility. I plan to do this myself as soon as the camera's guarantee expires).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, then the choice is clear, Canon 400D! He will soon forget about that
D50 of his when he tries one....and it has that CMOS sensor!

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am thinking on Canon 400D , but today I had great surprise with Olympus E-1 I made a great series with this camera.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

katastrofo wrote:
...Wait a little and simply get the Nikon D200 that meters manual lenses. That particular cam concedes very little to the Nikon D2x.

Bill

This, of course, is the best idea if you really look for a Nikon! I had the chance to use a D200 - it is such a fantastic camera! Absolutely great!!!
If only you could use M42 lenses at a Nikon...

But instead of a EOS400D (which is a great cam), you should also think about a Pentax K10D!
A fascinating cam and it has the built-in stabilizer. IS with every lens!!!

C.

Last edited by LucisPictor on Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a very great series, indeed! Very Happy

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Yes, I am thinking on Canon 400D , but today I had great surprise with Olympus E-1 I made a great series with this camera.

In any case I would sell the Nikon camera just the same, until it still has a good value on the market. It's the good moment now, if you wait more, newer Nikon models will be released and your camera will lose value.
Nikon are great cameras, but due to limitations with manual lenses, they are only very good for those who use Nikon autofocus lenses. Which you are not.

Sooner or later you will feel the need of a second camera body, and you will want one that lets you go out with two bodies and one set of lenses. I am sure of this. It may be teh 400D or the newer Pentax, but surely you will want a second body that can use M42 lenses without limitations.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, right.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carsten, you beat me to it! The Pentax K10D is the only other one I'd
be interested in for M42 glass. Wink

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

But instead of a EOS400D (which is a great cam), you should also think about a Pentax K10D!
C.

Is Pentax camera compatible with Contax/Yashica mount and Leica mount? I ask because I may consider it as third body next year, but it must be able to mount those lenses, because I have several of them and they are those that I use the most.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

C.

Is Pentax camera compatible with Contax/Yashica mount and Leica mount? I ask because I may consider it as third body next year, but it must be able to mount those lenses, because I have several of them and they are those that I use the most.

Contax/Yashica register distance 45.50, K-Mount 45.46 (I guess this is K10D). Leica R 47 mm.

http://www.mflenses.com/content/view/50/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Contax/Yashica register distance 45.50, K-Mount 45.46 (I guess this is K10D). Leica R 47 mm.
http://www.mflenses.com/content/view/50/

So it is surely compatible with Leica and in theory also with Contax/Yashica, although perhaps 4/10th of millimeter are a bit tight margin to make an adapter (on the other hand, the commonly found adapters for EOS do suffer of infinity focus problem also, at least those without the chip - the chipped ones I have are OK, I guess they quality-control them more).

OK I have verified your link (very useful!!! post it in the links section also!) and Canon EOS distance is 44mm, so this means that C/Y lenses are not mountable on Pentax (EOS already has problems with a margin of 1,5 mm). As for Leica lenses the margin is 1.5 mm, so it's the same situation as Contax lenses on EOS bodies: possible, but will require fine craftsmanship to maintain infinity focus.