Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

M39 (SLR) to EOS adapter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: M39 (SLR) to EOS adapter Reply with quote

To replace my Helios 44-2 that was in my bag when it was stolen, I got a Zenit 3M with a M39 Helios-44.

I have a M39-M42 step-up ring, but since the M39 Zenit mount has a different flange focal distance is different I am thinking of getting a M39 adapter for my Canon EOS 6D.

Up till now, my searches on eBay all spoiled my M39 Leice mount adapter..

Who can advice me a good (but cheap?) M39 adapter with the proper thickness to give infinity focus.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about infinity...

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read conflicting stories about the flange distance of Russian m39 lenses. Some claim it to be 45.5mm, the same as m42, others say 45.2mm. If you use an m39/m42 adapter that doesn't add any extra distance you should get (close to) infinity with your lens and an m42/EF adapter. What type of m39/m42 adapter do you have and what are your results with it?

BTW, as M42 Helios 44 lenses are sold for starting at €15 you may want to take care not spending too much on an m39-EF adapter.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My m39 Helios does not reach infinity when attached on eos-m42 adapter with m39-m42 ring.
Focus only goes up to 10 meters approx.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After having bought a $1.99 M39 adapter from eBay I found out that I already had an M39/EF adapter so I can already test if I can reach infinity with M39 Helios-44 and Jupiter-9, and whether adding a M39-M42 ring and an M42/EF adapter makes a difference.

I'll give and update when I have the results.

Thanks for the responses so far!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupiter 8 (50mm) lens to Nikon D3300? Any adaptor/Mount? Tips?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The adapter from the link is identical to m39-m42 ring. It still doesn't reach infinity.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize for bumping such a very old thread, but it seemed best to ask here rather than start a new one.

I've been looking at some old Russian Zenit lenses in M39. I understand the flange focal distance is shorter than M42 by approximately 0.26mm. I'd like to be able to reach infinity focus on an EOS without modifying the lens or adapter. I notice the vast majority of adapters are for other variations of M39 or simply state they will not reach infinity on Zenit M39 lenses (Fotodiox, for example).

One adapter does claim compatibly and infinity focus for Zenit M39 lenses. It is made by RAF Camera and is priced about 3-4x more expensive than any other similar adapter. Has anyone here used it? Depending upon how deep I get into vintage Soviet M39s I could see ordering one and fitting it with a dandelion AF chip, though that package would cost a lot compared to a similar M42 setup.

Thank you all!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the M39 mount has a screw thread it should be possible to reduce the thickness with some careful sanding & still have the lens mount OK. If the registration is 45.2 (the shorter of the two reported valuves) that still leaves over 1mm above the EF mount. I think that should be enough to keep the adapter together and mount on the camera.

The lens won't have the same portion uppermost when installed but so many of these adapters don't get the lens the right way up to begin with. There's a 50% chance it will improve alignment. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexcrushjohnson wrote:
Jupiter 8 (50mm) lens to Nikon D3300? Any adaptor/Mount? Tips?

Welcome Alexcrushjohnson

Nikon camera register distance is too long to acheive incinity focus. Perhaps somebody knows if lens focus can be readjusted.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DConvert wrote:
As the M39 mount has a screw thread it should be possible to reduce the thickness with some careful sanding & still have the lens mount OK. If the registration is 45.2 (the shorter of the two reported valuves) that still leaves over 1mm above the EF mount. I think that should be enough to keep the adapter together and mount on the camera.

The lens won't have the same portion uppermost when installed but so many of these adapters don't get the lens the right way up to begin with. There's a 50% chance it will improve alignment. Twisted Evil

This was what I wound up thinking last night. Getting a cheap M42 adapter (preferably aluminum) with a dandelion chip already installed and slowing removing material until infinity is reached. I could have one from China for less than $5 all in compared with the RAF version and installing my own AF chip for around $43. It seems the RAF version is just a run of the mill aluminum M39-EOS adapter that has a thinner flange. Hardly worth the coin they ask!

Thank you all.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jessebear wrote:
DConvert wrote:

This was what I wound up thinking last night. Getting a cheap M42 adapter (preferably aluminum) with a dandelion chip already installed and slowing removing material until infinity is reached. I could have one from China for less than $5 all in compared with the RAF version and installing my own AF chip for around $43. It seems the RAF version is just a run of the mill aluminum M39-EOS adapter that has a thinner flange. Hardly worth the coin they ask!

Thank you all.

RAF camera do make nice adapters, their version will stand a better chance of being perfectly parallel & will look a little nicer. For some that together with saving the time & effort of sanding an adapter down would make the extra cost worthwhile. Personally I'd try the modification - but then I'm a cheapskate Smile