Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Battle of The Planars: Rollei VS Carl Zeiss (Part 1)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Battle of The Planars: Rollei VS Carl Zeiss (Part 1) Reply with quote

I do not know if this topic was already discussed and if it was well i am sorry for repeating it

Ok i was a little bit bored so i decided to play around with two of my 50's.

In the week i will go outdoors and take some shots in the city and those will be from F5.6-F8, But i need a nice sunny day.

Part 1: Wide-Open Shots with Rollei Planar 50/1.8 and CONTAX Carl Zeiss Planar 50/1.4

Which lens you think perfoms better ? or do you think both are just as nice ?

I am really looking foward to your opinions. Remember to click images to see Hi-Res versions.

These are the two lenses

SAMPLES

Rollei

Carl Zeiss

Rollei

Carl Zeiss

Rollei

Carl Zeiss

Rollei

Carl Zeiss

Rollei

Carl Zeiss

Last edited by Yahvel on Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:22 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both nice.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they look very similar to each other, maybe a fine touch sharper on the zeiss

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with both of you.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is not easy to compare a 1.4 with a 1.8 both wide open, the dof is different
if the lens had about the same quality, the 1.8 should be better as it it more closed down
the 1.4 is much better and if it was closed to 1.8, it would be even better

the glass on the Rollei lock dirty and the parts inside look blurred, the thread has almost disappeared
the contax have more pop, clarity and 3D

the rollei have more blue fringing at 1.8 than the contax at 1.4
the table is darker on the rollei, reflections and details are muted
the metal shine on the contax, colors are warmer & more pleasant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm way too biased towards the 50/1.4 regardless of the competition, so I'll keep my mouth shut Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the Rollei Planar 1.8/50 and sold it because it wasn't anything special, just another good 50mm but not outstanding, I have several that I think are noticeably better than it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Rollei srl 24 x 36 film's world, the rolleinar 1,4/55 is more near to the zeiss 1,4 rendering than the planar 1,8 made by rollei.

If don't remeber bad, my copy of the rollei planar (made in singapur too) was more warmish rendering than yours. QC in singapur was not so good than germany, like the sonnar of the rollei 35 RF rendering had put on the table. One very good, another not so, other a dog, and so.

Anyways, the planar rollei and zeiss are very different lenses, with different schames, will have different rendering.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would make more sense to test them at a usable aperture that both lenses can be stopped down to. Like f2.8 for example. Then we'd have a proper comparison. I don't think either lens looks that nice wide open, but the Contax has maybe a tiny lead.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
It would make more sense to test them at a usable aperture that both lenses can be stopped down to. Like f2.8 for example. Then we'd have a proper comparison. I don't think either lens looks that nice wide open, but the Contax has maybe a tiny lead.

you are correct

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm maybe a large crop would show some difference Question

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all modern 50mm lenses are more than good enough and differences are small, stopped down the differences are really minute in most cases. Really the only time you will see a discernable difference is shooting wide open and honestly, wide open shooting is a bit of a silly modern fashion and poor technique in most cases.