Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A few test shots with the Kiron 105mm F2.8 MACRO
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: A few test shots with the Kiron 105mm F2.8 MACRO Reply with quote

It was a nice day out today so I went to a park near my house and took a few quick snaps with my KIRON 105mm F2.8 MACRO.
These were all shot on a Pentax APS-C dslr at F8 and various shutter speeds. Some are very close up, some near infinity.
It seems to perform well enough to not bother searching for something to replace it for now.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well known lens from quality with a little pp you can't tell difference picture was taken with 1000 USD+ macro lens or with Kiron I am pretty sure.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice results and most of all that park looks very nice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Well known lens from quality with a little pp you can't tell difference picture was taken with 1000 USD+ macro lens or with Kiron I am pretty sure.

I dont have and have always wanted the SMC PENTAX-A 100mm F2.8 Macro, but it cant be much better than this one and it costs $1000 now, which I dont have. I think Im gonna just have to settle for this one.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, that last photo, the one of the leaves, had so much contrast from the lens and scene that even the RAW file overloaded (too much dynamic range ).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy it!

Here some examples from member Renseh who is in my opinion best macro photographer on this forum, don't need any special glass to have stunning result.

http://forum.mflenses.com/yellow-dung-fly-vivitar-55-2-8-11-macro-and-macro-diffuser-t27227,highlight,%2Bvivitar+%2B55.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/aphid-life-vivitar-55-2-8-11-macro-and-93mm-extension-tubes-t28111,highlight,%2Bvivitar+%2B55.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/flags-and-standards-vivitar-55-2-8-11-macro-t29001,highlight,%2Bvivitar+%2B55.html

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Enjoy it!

Here some examples from member Renseh who is in my opinion best macro photographer on this forum, don't need any special glass to have stunning result.

http://forum.mflenses.com/yellow-dung-fly-vivitar-55-2-8-11-macro-and-macro-diffuser-t27227,highlight,%2Bvivitar+%2B55.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/aphid-life-vivitar-55-2-8-11-macro-and-93mm-extension-tubes-t28111,highlight,%2Bvivitar+%2B55.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/flags-and-standards-vivitar-55-2-8-11-macro-t29001,highlight,%2Bvivitar+%2B55.html

Thanks for the links. Those are some great insect shots. Obviously I didnt get anywhere near that magnifiction on any of these samples. There was a big spider I could have shot if It wasnt out of reach ( about 5 feet over the railing). Maybe next time I will rack the lens all the way out to 1:1 and see what I can find to shoot.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some nice macro lenses, but I never get even close to these shoots, what I did learn from member Renseh any macro lens is good enough, rest of it knowledge, experience how to make excellent macro shoots. Look forward your macro shoots I always love to see them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pictures surely look very good!

What's the meaning of the blue ring?

Thomas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would ask too, I think lens did come from dental set.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

memento wrote:
The pictures surely look very good!

What's the meaning of the blue ring?

Thomas

When I got this lens, from a flea market, it came with a funky ring flash with a control box and dial settings. It didnt work. But from
what I see on the blue ring, it was a "quick set" exposure system controlling the flash power and giving f stop settings for a given magnification/working distance. I was tempted to remove the blue ring from the lens but Im afraid it might end up looking worse than it does with it on there, so I just leave it in place. Its useless as it is now.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funky ring flash was part of dental kit, what a pitty it did not work Sad

Called Lester A Dine INTRAORAL DENTAL CAMERA.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Its not too much of a pity, I got the broken ring flash and lens for a grand total of $40
AND it was in Pentax K mount which is what my dslr uses so Im not crying any
crocodile tears over the flash...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:
Attila wrote:

Its not too much of a pity, I got the broken ring flash and lens for a grand total of $40

You got it damn cheap, but a complete working set would be even better. It is a nice set.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
hifisapi wrote:
Attila wrote:

You got it damn cheap, but a complete working set would be even better. It is a nice set.

It may have worked nice, but it didnt look nice. The control box looked almost home made it was so
crude.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:
Attila wrote:
hifisapi wrote:
Attila wrote:

It may have worked nice, but it didnt look nice. The control box looked almost home made it was so
crude.

Yes, made in low serial in my guess.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, sorry to pour some water into that wine but I find these results pretty disappointing, the contrast is low, the whites often blown out and the overall appearance of images rather bland. Could that be a camera issue?

That lens is a pretty good performer, I have it too, so I really wondered what happened here...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little overexpose only , I think.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt say the contrast is low, the histograms were fully wide. some shots could not be converted from
raw to jpeg without losing highlights while maintaining midtones ( two flower shots ). There was a problem
the dynamic range exceeding what the camera was capable of because some shots are of bright sunlit items
with deep shade as the background. My dslr is six years old and doesnt have the capture dynamic range as
some more modern models....