Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon Ixus L-1 2.8/26mm APS
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Canon Ixus L-1 2.8/26mm APS Reply with quote

A tiny camera with a very big lens. Probably the only worthwhile APS camera. Most of these in panoramic setting

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what a beautiful place you live and you have captured it wonderfully here. Some have a bit of a magenta cast, but it doesn't stop the beauty shining through.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahum, Ian... ah don't really live there....ie Wallis + Futuna, assumed everyone would get that as a website thing? Ah was in Mauritius though for two weeks at my niece's wedding several years ago now. These shots are from then. Embarassed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were fortunate to be there , TAo2 ! Thanks for sharing these beauties ! Can you tell me more about the scanning of the films? I am interessed in APS films and cams these last weeks .I found out that very often the poor results from APS come from inadecvate postprocessing (especially scanning and PP of the file) .

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi YY,

These were developed/printed in the local pharmacy (Boot's the Chemist). Scanned up prints to my PC via the scanner on my Canon MP640 all-in-one. Ah use Picasa as my storage medium and normally do a batch sharpen (5% edge) whilst storing. Very minimal processing as ah find that APS converted files do not lend themselves well to digital processing.

The slight, magenta cast pointed out by IanG is, ah think, the seaside factor and no filter available. It's been my experience that any/all outdoor shooting on APS is very good (on the Canon, anyway). Ah find indoor and flash shots disappointing. Drab colours and smearing.

Ah used and badly abused this camera for years on football trips, it now looks like it was used as a football Crying or Very sad . It still works. Ah'll track down some more examples and post them.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting points . The L1 is one of the intersting APS cams because it's the second and only alternative with 2,8 to the applauded and quite pricey Contax Tix.
Your experience with poor ability to be digitally processed must be related to the poor scanning . If the 35mm film doesn't give best results on flatbed scanners ,but only on dedicated , you can imagine APS is 40-50 % more susceptible to get mushy pictures so ,for getting best results it must best tools. I am curious how would compare these beautiful landscapes scanned on Nikon coolscan 5000 at least and why not , a drum scanner. In my very limited and recent beginning of experience with APS I found out that it is possible to get at least useable files , much crisper than I've seen on the net . Not quite as the 35mm ,but much closer (of course ,smaller enlargements than 35mm allowed ) than most samples I have seen posted . this , by combining dedicated scanner for film and more elaborated PP to get more sharpness and less noise . I have two more films at the lab ,I am anxious to see scan them and see the results outdoor , and if I can confirm these preliminary impressions (I hope so) .
See my first processed samples here : http://forum.mflenses.com/aps-film-t53576,start,15.html
As for the little cam that you presented here , I can say that is one from wich I've seen good samples on flikr : here :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bart_/8064299817/sizes/h/in/set-72157621962391619/ This one and all from this user bart_ taken in Italy with L-1
And I don't think it was heavily digitally processed , but probably processed on a dedicated hardware/software for APS .As we know , these were much too pricey , so the majority of the labs didn't afford to buy these .