Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

pentax smc takumar 200 f=4 (M42) sharp at f,=4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: pentax smc takumar 200 f=4 (M42) sharp at f,=4 Reply with quote

i am very happy with nx11 and this super sharp smc takumar ..
what are your opinions about this fixed tele..

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent results, sure is sharp.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a modest-aperture lens is not difficult to design and manufacture. It probably reaches optimum at f/5.6-8.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oreste wrote:
Such a modest-aperture lens is not difficult to design and manufacture. It probably reaches optimum at f/5.6-8.

yeah, but with takumar build quality, it aint cheap. If these lenses were made like this today, they would be much costlier than the current prices on the used market.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:

yeah, but with takumar build quality, it aint cheap. If these lenses were made like this today, they would be much costlier than the current prices on the used market.

Sure, and with a bit of patience you can get one for really little money.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:
Oreste wrote:

Yes, of course. Everything costs more these days. Nothing new about that.

Is it like this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pentax-Asahi-Super-Takumar-f1-4-200-mm-Lens-w-both-end-caps-in-Original-Case-/190749360746?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item2c698c426a

I never understood why more companies did not use built-in hoods, like Leica and Nikon:

Who has time to screw in a lens shade? Ridiculous!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent Seagulls !
Great choice of subject, I approve !

The 200/4 Takumar is my choice of a standard for 200mm, a great lens has to beat it.
They are still fairly cheap even now I think.

As for built-in hoods - I don't like them.

The main point of a hood is to prevent extra non-image light from entering the optical system. Most built in hoods are nowhere near deep enough to do a good job. This is understandable as there is limited space on a lens, usually. The Leitz lens below is one of the few with a good built-in hood. The Nikon ones aren't deep enough, even on the excellent Nikkor-Q 135/2.8.

The other use of a hood is to prevent damage to the lens. The hood is a more effective protection than a skylight filter. Its job is to be an expendable component to absorb damage if the lens is dropped or bashed against something. If the hood is bent or scraped, no problem, they are cheap. If the hood is part of the lens, then you have damage to the lens. And from what I have seen built in hoods are often very loosely fixed when extended, so they may collapse immediately instead of absorbing damage.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the original post was Luis!

Fine samples anyway Very Happy Very Happy

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only Leica and Nikon have built-in hoods. I have Pentax, Minolta, Tamron, Pentacon and CZJ lenses with them, and I expect there are many more.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oreste wrote:
hifisapi wrote:
Oreste wrote:

Top design, materials, & construction for the time make this lens one of the best 200mm MF lenses...admitted, the Nikkor 4/200 may be slightly better...

Oreste wrote:
Is it like this one?

[...]

Yes, exactly.

Oreste wrote:

I never understood why more companies did not use built-in hoods, like Leica and Nikon:

[...]

Who has time to screw in a lens shade? Ridiculous![...]

Someone with less time than it takes to replace a built-on hood...Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Oreste wrote:
hifisapi wrote:
Oreste wrote:

Top design, materials, & construction for the time make this lens one of the best 200mm MF lenses...admitted, the Nikkor 4/200 may be slightly better...

Oreste wrote:
Is it like this one?

[...]

Yes, exactly.

Oreste wrote:

[...]

Who has time to screw in a lens shade? Ridiculous![...]

Someone with less time than it takes to replace a built-on hood...Wink

I don't understand the last comment. Screwing in the lens then screwing in the hood...by that time it's time to go home! But the lens is a thing of beauty!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Later Pentax M and A series k mount lenses went to built in hoods so I guess Pentax joined the crowd.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oreste wrote:
hifisapi wrote:
Oreste wrote:

Is it like this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pentax-Asahi-Super-Takumar-f1-4-200-mm-Lens-w-both-end-caps-in-Original-Case-/190749360746?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item2c698c426a

well if you have time to screw the lens into the body, then you have time to screw the hood onto the lens.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:
Oreste wrote:
hifisapi wrote:
Oreste wrote:

Is it like this one?

well if you have time to screw the lens into the body, then you have time to screw the hood onto the lens.

LOL

By that time the model has fainted from starvation! LOL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Japanese made Helios 135 has a built-in hood, which I do like.

Ignore the "58", that was the lens the shot was taken with. Smile

Helios 58 by killwilly, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

killwilly wrote:

The Takumar 200 f/4 seems to be a beautiful lens, with high optical quality, but the screw-in hood is a hindrance.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oreste wrote:
but the screw-in hood is a hindrance.

For you.
For some others it isn't.
For some it's eventually better than a built-in hood.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the old Russian army they always kept the bayonets fixed on their rifles. I always keep the hoods fixed on my lenses!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really great shots - the seagull is amazing!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
Oreste wrote:

For you.

Mein Gott in Himmell! Wie ist das möglich! LOL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oreste wrote:
Aanything wrote:
Oreste wrote:

For you.

Mein Gott in Himmell! Wie ist das möglich! LOL

Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oreste wrote:
killwilly wrote:

The Takumar 200 f/4 seems to be a beautiful lens, with high optical quality, but the screw-in hood is a hindrance.

The super multi coatings are so good it make the lens so flare resistant that you dont even really need a hood anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:
Oreste wrote:
killwilly wrote:

The super multi coatings are so good it make the lens so flare resistant that you dont even really need a hood anyway.

Possibly, but the hood helps protect against damaging the filter ring.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh you guys and your hoods Laughing

I would really like to do a survey and see if hood preference aligns with or with-not being circumcised as a child Laughing

My 200mm f4 is in the post! Ive been looking for a tele to hunt down the local Animals. I couldn't get close enough with my Takumar 150mm,..

Original

So a 200 should have the wildlife plastered over the sensor correctly Razz

The curse has been started tho and I find myself looking at 300mm Tair's and Taks.. Tairs are still about half the price!!! Although Takumar 6x7 Lens are cheaper then M42 mount.. I'll probably end up with a Tair 3 Razz .

With a hood, even tho I'm circumcised Laughing