Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I still don't get it
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:53 am    Post subject: I still don't get it Reply with quote

Well....

first it exist the Pentacon 1:4 300mm. (picture 1)
This lens is designed for 6x6 and you the older versions are called Meyer Optik Görlitz Orestegor.
His last piece of tubus is changeable and it can be equipped with a final piece with P6 bayonet or M42 screw.
It is preset.

Then we have the Carl Zeiss Jena MC Sonnar 1:4 300mm for M42 (picture 2)
As it can clearly be seen, this has an adapter P6 to M42. At least that final piece looks exactly the adapter I have for using P6 lenses on M42.

Finally we have the Carl Zeiss Jena Prakticar 4/300 mm MC for Praktica bayonet. (pictures 3,4,5)

My questions are:

- Which of this lenses is for 6x6 and which not?
- Which of them have automatic aperture?
- How are they interrelated?
- Can one built into another mount wise?

Greetings,
Eugen

#1 Pentacon/Orestegor

#2 CZJ

#3 Prakticar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pentaconsix.com/p6data.htm

Pentacon and Sonnar are made for Pentacon 6 and have adapters to m42, so you can use them both on Pentacon 6 camera. also on DSLRs and mirrorless digital cameras

Prakticar is made for SLRs with Praktica B mount and can be used only on those SLRs and on mirrorless digital cameras

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:

Prakticar is made for SLRs with Praktica B mount and can be used only on those SLRs and on mirrorless digital cameras

Based on the looks of it, yes, but are there adapters available for that mount to mirrorless? I wouldnt bet on it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentacon 300mm is a P6 lens and designed for P6 it has interchangeable mount available to P6 and M42 both. Prakticar 300mm f4 is a redesigned lens for Praktica PB from (Sonnar 300mm f4 which is a P6 lens and adapter available to M42), Prakticar 300mm f4 has no interchangeable mount.
MC Sonnar 300mm f4 can work in auto and manual mode both , Pentacon 300mm f4 I am unsure, Prakticar 300mm f4 is a normal auto lens no manual mode.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:
WolverineX wrote:

Based on the looks of it, yes, but are there adapters available for that mount to mirrorless? I wouldnt bet on it.

yes, there is an adapter for Praktica B mount to m4/3

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For nex also:
Click here to see on Ebay

And i'm quite sure i saw some for canon EOS as well, but I don't know if those need infinity adjust.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
MC Sonnar 300mm f4 can work in auto and manual mode both , Pentacon 300mm f4 I am unsure, Prakticar 300mm f4 is a normal auto lens no manual mode.

The Pentacon/Meyer 4/300 is a preset, definitely not automatic aperture.

Incidentally, besides P6 and M42 adapters there was also an adapter for Exakta 35mm SLR cameras for the 4/300 (and for the 5.6/500 as well). The adapters for the 4/200 and 2.8/135 Meyers are shorter, for M42 and Exakta only.
http://captjack.exaktaphile.com/Meyer%20page.htm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that
- the Pentacon/Meyer and the Zeiss are different lenses
- the Pentacon has interchangeable mounts (M42, P6, Exa and if I remember correctly also Praktina)
- Pentacon is preset and Zeiss is automatic (I'm in doubt with the Zeiss)
From personal experience I only know the Pentacon.

What I still don't understand is how the above two lenses are related to the Praktina.
A CZJ version for M42 also exist. Have that evolved from the P6 CZJ and from there the PB version? Or are the M42 and the PB calculations for covering only 24x36?
I doubt the PB is automatic apperture. I saw pictures of it and the iris has as most blades as the Pentacon. I don't think this iris can be closed by an auto mechanism.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eugen Mezei wrote:
I understand that
- the Pentacon/Meyer and the Zeiss are different lenses
- the Pentacon has interchangeable mounts (M42, P6, Exa and if I remember correctly also Praktina)
- Pentacon is preset and Zeiss is automatic (I'm in doubt with the Zeiss)
From personal experience I only know the Pentacon.

What I still don't understand is how the above two lenses are related to the Praktina.
A CZJ version for M42 also exist. Have that evolved from the P6 CZJ and from there the PB version? Or are the M42 and the PB calculations for covering only 24x36?
I doubt the PB is automatic apperture. I saw pictures of it and the iris has as most blades as the Pentacon. I don't think this iris can be closed by an auto mechanism.

Eugen, is there confusion about Praktina and Praktica? The 4.0/300 lens for Praktina mount was the older Meyer/Pentacon preset Orestegor, for which there were also adapters for P6, M42 and Exakta.
http://www.praktina.com/plens03l.htm

The 4.0/300 lens for the Praktica B mount (not Praktina) came much later, in 1978. This is a "Prakticar" lens, and according to this page, it was made by CZJ. It is a completely different lens, for 35mm only. PB cameras had open aperture metering using electrical contacts on the lens, similar to the Pentax-A mount, so this lens must have auto-aperture function. I don't know how many blades it has.

The registration distance of the PB mount is 44.4mm. It is possible to use it on Canon EF mount with an adapter (often inaccurate I think), but for any other DSLRs it will need some serious alteration. There should adapters available to use it on mirrorless cameras like NEX but I'm not certain about that. Obviously the auto-aperture mechanism will not function on any other camera than PB mount.