Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Chinese supplier for Canon petal lens BW-52B?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Chinese supplier for Canon petal lens BW-52B? Reply with quote

I can't understand the prices for the original BW-52B hood. (It cost more than the T70 with 3 lenses I recently bought.)
I also can't imagine no third party replacement exist. It is a simple piece of plastic.
Looked at the usual suspects and on ePay, no one has one for 2-3 USD.

Anybody can give a hint?

Thank you,

Eugen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A piece of plastic cost next to nothing but the cost of making a mold to make the hood is very expensive. Best to wait for one used locally or in eBay. You may also modify one from similar hood in the market.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is they are rare. With the older version Canon delivered the hood when you bought the lens. This was the BW55 (55 mm thread of the lens). With the FDn version (of the 28 mm lens) they became cheapish and you had to buy the hood separetely. Seems not much of the lens user invested in the hood or they bought the non-petal version, which I have already. Both of them are bayonet mount.

Well... I don't think the mold is extremly expensive. It is nothing special, no angles or something. Third party producers offer hoods for the EF Canon lenses, ofcourse there is more demand. Hmm... maybe one of those hoods would fit? But which?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eugen Mezei wrote:
Problem is they are rare. With the older version Canon delivered the hood when you bought the lens. This was the BW55 (55 mm thread of the lens). With the FDn version (of the 28 mm lens) they became cheapish and you had to buy the hood separetely. Seems not much of the lens user invested in the hood or they bought the non-petal version, which I have already. Both of them are bayonet mount.

Well... I don't think the mold is extremly expensive. It is nothing special, no angles or something. Third party producers offer hoods for the EF Canon lenses, ofcourse there is more demand. Hmm... maybe one of those hoods would fit? But which?

Price of a mold:
http://epsilonindustries.com/pricing/cost-of-tooling/

or you may get one here.
Click here to see on Ebay

BTW, I need a hood for my Tokina 90mm F2.5 too but they are very rare and expensive. I used a generic screw in hood instead of the original hood.