Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Moon with S-M-C Takumar 500/4.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Moon with S-M-C Takumar 500/4.5 Reply with quote

50mm vs. 500mm :

The 500 :

Moon with the 50/4 :

And with the 500/4.5 @f/4.5 :

Not exactly an artistic work, thats why I post it here. I deleted the pic at f/8, but it is more sharp, f/16 and f/32 have been tested but my tripod is not enough stable (shake blurred pictures).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried adding a teleconverter and giving it a go?

Here's one from my 400mm Optomax with a cheap Kitstar MC 2X teleconverter.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarbonR, f/8 should work fine. I prefer f/11 though. Years ago, I learned that the correct exposure for the moon was 1/125 @ f/8 with ISO 100 film, but I think f/11 works better.

Here's one I shot last month. I used Live View to insure critical sharpness, and which also raises the mirror (reduced vibration). You also need to use either a remote release or the self-timer set for no less than 10 seconds.

Century Precision Optics 500mm f/5.6 @ f/11, Canon XS @ ISO 100, 1/125

Good shot, spiralcity, but at 500mm as long as the image is sharp, you don't need a teleconverter. Here's a shot taken a couple of nights later with my Century 500 and a Vivitar 2x teleconverter. Not a whole lot of difference between the two other than the phase of the moon.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
CarbonR, f/8 should work fine. I prefer f/11 though. Years ago, I learned that the correct exposure for the moon was 1/125 @ f/8 with ISO 100 film, but I think f/11 works better.

Here's one I shot last month. I used Live View to insure critical sharpness, and which also raises the mirror (reduced vibration). You also need either a remote release or to use the self-timer set for no less than 10 seconds.

Century Precision Optics 500mm f/5.6 @ f/11, Canon XS @ ISO 100, 1/125

Good shot, spiralcity, but at 500mm as long as the image is sharp, you don't need a teleconverter. Here's a shot taken a couple of nights later with my Century 500 and a Vivitar 2x teleconverter. Not a whole lot of difference between the two other than the phase of the moon.

The 500mm shot by carbonR looks awfully small without a teleconverter,
the 400mm with a teleconverter are still very usable, they may not be perfect, but they work. I have a telescope I havent given a try yet.

Crop from 400mm

It would be great to see a bunch of moon shots on this thread... Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiralcity wrote:
The 500mm shot by carbonR looks awfully small without a teleconverter,
the 400mm with a teleconverter are still very usable, they may not be perfect, but they work. I have a telescope I havent given a try yet.

His shot looks small because he posted the full-frame image. Mine and yours are crops. If using a DSLR with a respectable megapixel level, enlargements from crops will still hold a lot of detail.

Sure, if you have a good 400mm lens and a good TC you should be able to take some great shots. As I mentioned before, I thought yours were good.

Your telescope will definitely kick things up a notch or two. I'd like to see some shots from it.

Thanks for the reminder about the moon. It's probably up far enough above the horizon by now where I can get a shot of it. Next full moon is December 2, so still about five days away.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont remember how much I cropped the first image. I was getting about 1200mm of lens, I dont think it was cropped much. The second photo was a close crop.

thanks for the comment on my photo, yours looked good as well. I like moon shots and would love to see many more posted to the thread.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, beautiful moon Very Happy
Good job, hope someday I could settle down and have a garage to keep these huge lenses Smile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Moon with S-M-C Takumar 500/4.5 Reply with quote

CarbonR wrote:

Not exactly an artistic work, thats why I post it here. I deleted the pic at f/8, but it is more sharp, f/16 and f/32 have been tested but my tripod is not enough stable (shake blurred pictures).

Maybe the tripod is not the cause for the blurry pictures - the moon moves quite quickly when you use a long telephoto lens to look at it. Just lock your lens and camera on a tripod and watch how long it takes for the moon to move out of the viewfinder image. I remember getting blurred pictures of the moon with 600mm at speeds of 1/30 of a second or longer.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Moon with S-M-C Takumar 500/4.5 Reply with quote

dickb wrote:
CarbonR wrote:

Maybe the tripod is not the cause for the blurry pictures - the moon moves quite quickly when you use a long telephoto lens to look at it. Just lock your lens and camera on a tripod and watch how long it takes for the moon to move out of the viewfinder image. I remember getting blurred pictures of the moon with 600mm at speeds of 1/30 of a second or longer.

Moonlight is reflected sunlight. It is not dim. At ISO 100, 1/125 at f/11 or f/8 (depending on your preference) will provide good exposure.

The second image I posted above was with the 500mm and a 2x. And with my 1.6x crop body, the focal length equivalent was 1600mm. Because of the 2x, I opened the lens up to f/8, so my effective f/stop was f/16. This meant I had to reduce my shutter speed to 1/60.

At this magnification, you can easily see the moon moving across the screen. But it is not moving fast enough to cause blur at 1/60 -- and I suspect even at 1/30 you're still okay. If there's blur, it's much more likely that there was either some tripod or camera shake, or the image was not focused correctly.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have vertical blur, so it was caused by the tripod. It was just a test shot, now I started to use it with "real" subjects Razz