Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Recommendations for M42 lenses/ Nikkor Manual Focus Lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject: Recommendations for M42 lenses/ Nikkor Manual Focus Lenses Reply with quote

I'm looking for a 50mm, 135mm, 200mm, and a telephoto zoom.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolar, orestor, Tele-Quinar, and I don't have any opinions about zooms.
If you prefer Japanese M42: Fujinon 1.8/55, Mamiya 2.8/135, Takumar.

Last edited by Mos6502 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

50mm you have a few Nikkors available, depending on your budget. If it's tight, I can recommend 50/2 Ai or Ais.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lena wrote:
If it's tight, I can recommend 50/2 Ai or Ais.

Does the Ais version exist ?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for M42 lenses/ Nikkor Manual Focus Lens Reply with quote

tOfOO13 wrote:
I'm looking for a 50mm, 135mm, 200mm, and a telephoto zoom.

In M42 there is the super multi coated takumar 135mm f2.5 version II, and the smc takumar zoom 85-210mm/4.5
Both are exceptionally good lenses. the 50mm and 200mm takumars are also excellent but not quite as
good as the 135 and zoom mentioned.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
Lena wrote:
If it's tight, I can recommend 50/2 Ai or Ais.

Does the Ais version exist ?

oops, you're right, 1.8 is Ais.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're to use them on a Nikon camera I would avoid m42 lenses; generally they will not focus to infinity unless used with an adapter with an optical element, that will compromise their quality.

If that's the case I'd go for:

50mm= an old Nikkor S, S.C. or K modified in Ai; they are cheap as dirt but of excellent quality, even for modern standard. Their biggest drawback, compared to more recent lenses, is a somewhat less effective flare resistance (just use a hood Smile ). If you want to see an actual test comparing them to their modern counterpart http://tinyurl.com/c6zfsaa

135mm= if you don't need the speed then the 135/3.5 Nikkor is a good choice; given that you want a telezoom though I'd jump entirely this focal length replacing it with a Nikkor E Series 75-150/3.5; it's a great lens, sharp, compact and with a beautiful bokeh, excellent even for portraits.

200mm= I don't think anything can beat a Nikkor 200/4 K or Ai; super sharp and ultra compact, it makes even a decent macro if used with tubes.

If, instead, you asked of Nikon lenses but you have, for example, a Canon body I would suggest only one change:

50mm= all the variants of the Pentax Takumar are excellent, f/1.4 and you can have them practically for a song (if you're not sure you may check this post of mine http://www.addicted2light.com/2012/12/08/battle-of-the-50s-contax-60-vs-minolta-vs-olympus-vs-pentax-takumars/ to see how they perform).

Please keep in mind that all the lenses listed above even if dirty cheap are excellent performers, capable of deliver results of truly professional quality!